What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The all-in-one Hawkins thread

Re: Breaking News In Boulder

I have no info either way, but my best friend is in Maui all week with Bohn, is a 6-figure contributor every year for 20 years and he has told me he believes there is no change on the way. He also tells me though he's not sure. Bohn is playing it close to the vest.

But if Hawkins stays and fires Riddle, Collins and Johnson I could live with that, to see the experiment thru, but just 1 more year. Really - it's one more year and we've been falling slowly down the staircase since Mac left. Let me remind everyone that Slick quit this job for a "better job". But how do you find good replacements when you're on the hot seat and can only offer 1 year contracts? Not sure about that. This is a critical issue imo. We thought Bedell could coach this O-line himself I recall....

If Hawk is retained, it will at least be comical watching all the supposed "insiders" scramble to change their screen names. Most if not ALL of the supposed "Facts" posted here in the last month have been dreams, fantasies and outright lies. This is what gives the "intraweb" a bad name and what I've witnessed here in the last 4-6 weeks is the worst of the worst. We've become NETBUFFS.

Hawk lost the team. Nope.
Cody is getting most of the reps. Nope.
Darrell Scott.... (fill in the blank) nope
Shanahan and his son are coming as a tag-team... Still laughing at that one.

The best part of these is that even I, a Hawkins supporter (albeit, barely), started to get excited when I started fantasizing about the coaches who could come here. Why stop with Shanahan who has a history of hiring D-coordinators every year? Perhaps Stoops or Urban Meyer are available? Those guys would turn it around in 2 years. Yeah - let's fire Hawk now!!!

Back to reality and the fact we pay Hawkins $900k and that's 11th in the Big 12. Brian Kelly makes double that at Cincinatti! He's not coming here for the same money. He will want BIG money. With bonuses, Hawk will be the lowest paid coach in the Big12. Fire him and you pay him his $3.5M buyout or so, plus another $1M per year for a low-level MAC or WAC coach (times the next 2 or 3 years that are left on Hawk's contract) plus you will throw in another $1M to pay off assistants thru their 1 year contracts and then throw in another $500k-1M to up the pay of the new incoming assistants. So we now are looking at a total cost of $7M-9M to get this thing changed? Go sell that one to the Govenor, Chancellor, University football haters-at-large! Sorry, I live in the real world (well, Boulder) not the fantasy you've created on the "intraweb". (I know, Dave Logan and the Mullen staff would come over here for half of that....)

I'm afraid we will get one more year to see this experiment thru and thus it batters the program when people make up lies to destroy the guy. It's also unnecessary. You can fry him on his record without resorting to made-up BS.... Real fans don't do that (although they may wear powder blue). Keep it real.

If Hawk is done on Friday, I can live with that too. But why fry the guy before that? How does that help the program? What if Hawk gets one more year and turns this around? I'm not saying he will, I'm saying what good does all the negative stuff on these boards do and especially the made up footballcoachesscoop.com BullS_hit do for our program?

Re: Hawk's PR war begins...

Another possibility is that Channel 4 got bad information. I have not seen this confirmed anywhere else.

True, but who do you think would give them that "bad information"? Obvioulsy, somebody who wants to make it as hard as possible for CU to dump Hawk. It isn't that hard to figure out.

As I stated earlier on another thread, Lombardi has a history of missing on his "scoops."

That said as I also stated earlier I would not be surprised if this information was planted as a last ditch effort by Hawk or supporters to try to give the admin a way to keep him around in the face of what has become obvious.

I have no info either way, but my best friend is in Maui all week with Bohn, is a 6-figure contributor every year for 20 years and he has told me he believes there is no change on the way. He also tells me though he's not sure. Bohn is playing it close to the vest.

But if Hawkins stays and fires Riddle, Collins and Johnson I could live with that, to see the experiment thru, but just 1 more year. Really - it's one more year and we've been falling slowly down the staircase since Mac left. Let me remind everyone that Slick quit this job for a "better job". But how do you find good replacements when you're on the hot seat and can only offer 1 year contracts? Not sure about that. This is a critical issue imo. We thought Bedell could coach this O-line himself I recall....

If Hawk is retained, it will at least be comical watching all the supposed "insiders" scramble to change their screen names. Most if not ALL of the supposed "Facts" posted here in the last month have been dreams, fantasies and outright lies. This is what gives the "intraweb" a bad name and what I've witnessed here in the last 4-6 weeks is the worst of the worst. We've become NETBUFFS.

The best part of these is that even I, a Hawkins supporter (albeit, barely), started to get excited when I started fantasizing about the coaches who could come here. Why stop with Shanahan who has a history of hiring D-coordinators every year? Perhaps Stoops or Urban Meyer are available? Those guys would turn it around in 2 years. Yeah - let's fire Hawk now!!!

Back to reality and the fact we pay Hawkins $900k and that's 11th in the Big 12. Brian Kelly makes double that at Cincinatti! He's not coming here for the same money. He will want BIG money. With bonuses, Hawk will be the lowest paid coach in the Big12. Fire him and you pay him his $3.5M buyout or so, plus another $1M per year for a low-level MAC or WAC coach (times the next 2 or 3 years that are left on Hawk's contract) plus you will throw in another $1M to pay off assistants thru their 1 year contracts and then throw in another $500k-1M to up the pay of the new incoming assistants. So we now are looking at a total cost of $7M-9M to get this thing changed? Go sell that one to the Govenor, Chancellor, University football haters-at-large! Sorry, I live in the real world (well, Boulder) not the fantasy you've created on the "intraweb". (I know, Dave Logan and the Mullen staff would come over here for half of that....)

I'm afraid we will get one more year to see this experiment thru and thus it batters the program when people make up lies to destroy the guy. It's also unnecessary. You can fry him on his record without resorting to made-up BS.... Real fans don't do that (although they may wear powder blue). Keep it real.

If Hawk is done on Friday, I can live with that too. But why fry the guy before that? How does that help the program? What if Hawk gets one more year and turns this around? I'm not saying he will, I'm saying what good does all the negative stuff on these boards do and especially the made up footballcoachesscoop.com BullS_hit do for our program?

The only thing that will be comical is for the losers that will try to spin how this piece of trash coach should get another year and how new assistants is going to change anything.. Now that is what I call "comedy"..

But hey what do I know, I've never taken the "risks in life" like Talkins has.. He's the only guy that does it the "right way"..

Screw YOU HAWK. Enjoy all the millions you never earned here running our program into the ground.. Great job.. :thumbsup:

Careful, this post makes too much sense, you're risking some neg reps.

Re: Excuses versus the facts...

No ****. It's not you DBT, it's the way you post that sounds like you playing a harp for poor ol hawk. It doesn't matter, this administration is nothing but scared blue hairs who are afraid to have any successs in sports for they fear another scandal.

CU football is DEAD.
The world I live in in my professional career is a world of analysis. There are advantages and disadvantages to almost every decision. Pros and cons. It seems that if I post something that seems to "favor" Hawkins, then I'm a "Hawkins lover." I get sick of that bull****. I've been clear that I believe we need to make the change. But the title of the thread was "Excuses vs facts." There are some "facts" that, if someone puts them out there, maybe gets misinturpreted.

You say "CU football is DEAD." Here is the way I see it. The next coach will inherit a better pool of talent than Hawkins did. Across the board, CU has a lot of good, young players. Now, that sounds like a defense of Hawkins. But the way I see it, it is an indictment that he could not win with the guys he has. I can see, with the right coach, this program turning around FAST.

The truth is we will take just about anyone as HC at this point. Even Logan. Anything to stop this disaster from getting worse. Any change is perceived as good now.

And some thought Neuheisel at $400,000 per year was the lowest of the low.

As for the other part. The speculation. Thats like a narcotic designed to block out the terribles train wreck of the last 4 years by imposing an image of Mike Shananhahahan the courageous leader on the sidelines returning us to glory. As an alum of the early 90s I expect good football.

if.... never confirmed

Also if Hawk is retained I will voice my feelings by not renewing my season tickets next year because that seems to be the only way I can be heard by the admin at CU. After checking their was no article on Rivals so it may just be a rumor on the visits being cancelled.

Last edited:

You may want pick Sunday as your target day. :thumbsup:

Also, why skip the game? We get so few Buff games each year. As painful as the Hawk era has been, it is still CU Football.

At least for me, kNu week means 4 hours of tailgating in Boulder, time with great friends that I haven't seen since last Thanksgiving and a potential beatdown of the Skers.

Sunday it is!

Well, I didn't mean skip it literally... I was more referring to getting to the massive weight off this program's shoulders so we can all start daydreaming about a return to glory, because I believe getting back to the 90s is possible. If Big 10 teams can survive and be in the BCS there's no reason CU can't!

:popcorn:

FREAKOUT ON CHANNEL FOUR!!! Please, I don't understand wtf any of you would believe a word hawk says at this point. Hell, the man doesn't even know which of his players are redshirting anymore. He is 100% bull****, and if Distefano told him he would be back post NU, well, that was 100% bull**** too.

Now Continue your regularly scheduled freak out.

IMO, Hawk cannot accept that the failure to be competitive has anything to do with him. His ego is too big for that. Therefore, any criticism is the fault of somebody or something else.

Two things are going on here: (1) DiStefano has overruled Bohn and Hawk is going to stay, or (2) Hawk knows he is gone and is launching his PR war.

If it is option (1), CU is playing with fire. The heat will be unbearable as soon as the team loses their first game, which will come early given the schedule and Hawk's ineptitude. Empty stadiums, another piss poor finish, it could set CU back years, if Hawk hasn't already done that.

If it is (2), prepare for more "We did it the right way and CU went for the easy out", "I was told all along I was safe until the last minute", "Other coaches told me not to go there", "Facilities and fan support are not there" as Hawk blames everybody and everything for his failures. Oh yeah, he'll weasel every dime he can out of the University under the contract. You have to remember doing things the right way means whatever is best for Danny.

Hawk cannot leave fast enough for me at this point.

You know what a disgrace if he actually went above Bohn to Distefano to try and save his job.. He's been nothing but an utter failure at CU with his 16-32 record, running off his best offensive talent, stupid coaching decisions, nepotism at the QB position, I could go on..

But hey he does it the right way (I guess everyone who wins cheats) and he's the only one that's taking risks in life that we non-football just don't understand.. :rolleyes:

Really disgraceful stuff. Really disgraceful.. I don't know how anyone here can seriously defend this man.. What a small, petty man he is..

This man can't get out of here fast enough for me either..

:popcorn:

FREAKOUT ON CHANNEL FOUR!!! Please, I don't understand wtf any of you would believe a word hawk says at this point. Hell, the man doesn't even know which of his players are redshirting anymore. He is 100% bull****, and if Distefano told him he would be back post NU, well, that was 100% bull**** too.

Now Continue your regularly scheduled freak out.

No one trusts Distefano.. That's the problem..

Re: Hawk tells staff he's back next year

"Embattled CU football coach Dan Hawkins is telling his assistants that he'll be back for another year.

Two sources inside the CU football progam told CBS4's Vic Lombardi that Hawkins recently met with Unversity Chancellor Phil DiStefano and came away from the meeting with the understanding that he's safe for another year no matter what happens on Friday against Nebraska."

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/CU.Hawkins.Buffs.2.1333000.html

But how recently did Hawkins meet with DiStefano? The other day, a week ago, a month ago...? That's a key piece of information missing from this story. :huh:

Can it getting any better? Your going to stuck with a guy you hate for another year and you don't have the "motivation" to win one for juicebox on Friday.

If he stays, I'll have some serious soul searching to do. I'm not sure how they can possibly justify keeping him. His body of work speaks for itself. 16-32, with losses to Montana State, Toledo, Baylor, CSU (twice) and Iowa State (twice). We've been trying to look at little glimpses of success through the filter of four years of incompetence. This was the year for the breakthrough. Nobody could have possibly predicted a 3 (maybe 4) win season. Nobody. Yet here we are. And who's fault is it? Dan Hawkins. Sorry, this cannot be placed on anybody elses' head. It's all on him. He has his players, in his system, running his plays - and they're failing miserably.

This may be something that we need to get the regents involved with, if DiStephano is pulling strings. That's not acceptable.

You know what a disgrace if he actually went above Bohn to Distefano to try and save his job.. He's been nothing but an utter failure at CU with his 16-32 record, running off his best offensive talent, stupid coaching decisions, nepotism at the QB position, I could go on..

But hey he does it the right way (I guess everyone who wins cheats) and he's the only one that's taking risks in life that we non-football just don't understand.. :rolleyes:

Really disgraceful stuff. Really disgraceful.. I don't know how anyone here can seriously defend this man.. What a small, petty man he is..

This man can't get out of here fast enough for me either..

copy / paste

Last edited:

Hope you are wrong, but this is a depressing, and logical, post

I don't believe any of it. If Hawkins is comming back, he will have to replace members of his coaching staff just to feed the wolves. They know Hawkins will cover his dumbass first.:lol:

I meant a public search.. Just like Tenn did last year.. The is or is he not coming back is not good for the program.. Make a damn decision and move on..

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Why put everyone thru all this speculation that only intensifies as the season goes on? The media has to continually ask about it because it's their job. It's unfair to Hawk. It puts Bohn in an awkward situation. It's tough on the players. The fans and boosters get more vocal in a negative way. So just announce the decision and then end it. Let him finish out the season if he wants. If he doesn't want to finish out the season, that's fine too.

Bohn and Plati hate all the rumors and intraweb talk, yet they only feed the fire by not announcing a decision that has undoubtedly already been made.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Why put everyone thru all this speculation that only intensifies as the season goes on? The media has to continually ask about it because it's their job. It's unfair to Hawk. It puts Bohn in an awkward situation. It's tough on the players. The fans and boosters get more vocal in a negative way. So just announce the decision and then end it. Let him finish out the season if he wants. If he doesn't want to finish out the season, that's fine too.

Bohn and Plati hate all the rumors and intraweb talk, yet they only feed the fire by not announcing a decision that has undoubtedly already been made.
I honestly think the evaluation process has been going on to the last minute. There are a lot of options to weigh. A lot of things to consider.

I had heard something similar about recruiting. There has to be some reason for waiting until after Friday. Maybe has to do with contract or buyout. Or condition of the agreement. Or trying to get some pub out of it.
I think the Senior Banquet was moved up to Saturday night. It would not be good form to fire the poor guy before he goes and hands out the annual team awards and says goodbye to his Seniors. My bet is Sunday or, more likely, Monday there will be press conference to announce Hawk's "resignation." The least any of us can do is allow a decent guy and his family to maintain some dignity during this process. Obviously, he has not been successful but he has given 4 years to our program and he leaves a team that is ready for success with the right coaching. Let's give him a break and send him on his way with the respect and class the program and Hawk and his family deserve.

I just want to make it clear on the recruiting visits. I received that information from someone who works at the University...not the AD office. He specified that it is an unconfirmed rumor. He also told me that rumors about Hawkins are flying all over the place.

Let's just say that Hawk stays. Opens the season with a loss against CSU. Then we travel to Cal and we all know about the road record. CU comes home 0-2, Bohn will be able to hear crickets in Folsom against Hawaii. The place will be empty. I don't think Bohn takes that chance. The guy is gone.

And I'm officially worried. Why is he meeting with DiStefano instead of Bohn about his job next year?

Hawkins is done. If they were dead set on keeping him, they could have killed speculation months ago instead of having us in coaching and recruiting limbo for so long. Plus, you don't cancel recruiting visits and move a senior banquet up if you're keeping the coach. This is a lot of hot air. Enjoy your Thanksgiving. Enjoy the game on Friday. Enjoy the announcement that Hawkins is done (which will come some time soon after the game).

And I'm officially worried. Why is he meeting with DiStefano instead of Bohn about his job next year?

Maybe Hawk will be the new A.D.!

Bohn re-takes the now open A.D. job at San Diego State.

Kiesau takes the Portland State HC job.

Hawk and Mac conduct a search for a new coach, with Bob Simmons and Brian Cabral getting inside chances at the job.

Greg Brown is promoted to DC.

Jon Embree is hired as new OC.

Everything will be sunny again in Colorado.

Hawk can keep selling his development of a clean program without it taking away from the on-field performance of the football team.

CU saves $3 million+ by not buying out Hawk, and Bohn's contract runs through 2010 so wouldn't be a huge hit.

All is well in Buffalo country!

In these days of trying to outscoop each other no other media outlet has picked up this story. By now everyone would be running with it if the story had any legs.

Back