What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Allbuffs Coaching Candidate list

I do think that there is some very real value to hiring someone with University of Colorado ties.

Like it or not this is a very unique job. It is not like many other BCS programs, in that the University (and State for that matter) demand significant results but offer almost no assistance in achieving those results. I think a lot of people with absolutely no ties to Colorado (such as Dan Hawkins) would walk in the 1st day and say -- WTF -- to a lot of the things that go on in Boulder.

I don't totally agree with what you said, but it is one of the reasons I wouldn't mind a Mac hire with the expectation of grooming an assistant to be the HC in a few years.

The current head coach at NMSU?!? You'd kidding, right?
You should read up on him. He's an up and coming HC imo. He used to kill CU on the recruiting trail while he was DC at UCLA. His player loved him and would run through a wall if he asked them too. I look at him as a Pelini type of coach. Maybe not as good right now, but he'll be there soon.

Coaching Experience
UCLA (2006-08)
Defensive Coordinator

Washington Redskins (2004-05)
Defensive Backs

New York Giants (2002-03)
Defensive Backs

Southern California (2001)
Defensive Backs

New England Patriots (1998-00)
Defensive Backs

California (1996-97)
Defensive Backs

NFL’s Minority Coaching

Internship Program
New England Patriots (1997)
San Francisco 49ers (1996)

Oklahoma State (1995)
BYU (1994)
Utah State (1993)

Mt. San Antonio College (1988-92)
Defensive Backs (1988-91)
Defensive Coordinator (1992)

Last edited:
I wouldn't want either of them. I think we can do better.
I'm leaving them up because there are a lot of fans who would like them to be the HC. I'm trying to look at everyone's opinion here.

I'm sure the AD's list is way different than ours. :lol:

I'm not one to track the upcoming coaching prospects from year to year. I honestly don't care much until we come to times like this so I started thinking about programs that have had some consistent success over the years. Now to look at their coordinators... any thoughts on these guys?

Wisconsin: OC: Paul Chryst DC: Dave Doeren
Ohio St: OC: Jim Bollman
Texas: DC: Duane Akina I figure Muschamp is out of the question.

And now for something completely different... in my curiosity, given all of the "CU ties" talk, I thought what was Mac's resume? I did not realize that he was a high school football/basketball before Bo hired him at Mich. It was the only high school coach Bo ever hired. So what was it that Bo saw in Mac? How do we find that something in our next coach?

I'm not one to track the upcoming coaching prospects from year to year. I honestly don't care much until we come to times like this so I started thinking about programs that have had some consistent success over the years. Now to look at their coordinators... any thoughts on these guys?

Wisconsin: OC: Paul Chryst DC: Dave Doeren
Ohio St: OC: Jim Bollman
Texas: DC: Duane Akina I figure Muschamp is out of the question.

And now for something completely different... in my curiosity, given all of the "CU ties" talk, I thought what was Mac's resume? I did not realize that he was a high school football/basketball before Bo hired him at Mich. It was the only high school coach Bo ever hired. So what was it that Bo saw in Mac? How do we find that something in our next coach?
I already have Chryst up there. Same with Muschamp. I'm not too sure about the others.

Jim Bollman seems interesting...I'd love to see a OL guru come to coach the Buffs. We'd run through the Pac12.

I'd pass on Akina, he didn't do a good job as the DC at UT, he got demoted to DB's coach. Muschamp replaced him. He seems like he's comfortable as a career assistant. jmho.

Last edited:
Mike Haywood somehow has Miami (OH) with a winning record in only his 2nd year. He inherited a train wreck. Love the coordinator experience and the national recruiting he has done at Notre Dame, Texas and LSU (along with ties to Ohio with his current job and a stint with U of Ohio).

If his team continues to improve and he finishes strong this year, I think we have to at least take a look at him.

Honestly though, if they are so good, how come they have not been considered for an HC position before now? We need someone more proven.
I personally don't want either of them, I'm just putting together a list of what I've heard. There are a lot of people who are behind EB and Embo to become the next HC at CU.

Keep in mind that Bo hired McCartney as a position coach, and McCartney worked his way up through the ranks to become Michigan's defensive coordinator. It is not at all uncommon for high school coaches to be hired as position coaches.

Honestly though, if they are so good, how come they have not been considered for an HC position before now? We need someone more proven.

EB has only been coaching since 2001 after a 9 year NFL career. He was offered the USC offensive coordinator position this summer. Minnesota promoted him to Assistant Head Coach - Offense in order to keep him. His coaching career has progressed quickly, I would say.

In the past, I thought EB was too much of a hothead to be a head coach. He has really matured as a coach in a hurry, though. I'm really warming to the idea of him being hired at CU. Supposedly he impressed a lot of people during the 1990 reunion weekend. He's now my top choice from inside the Buff family and quickly gaining on the candidates from outside the program in my mind.

I agree Bieniemy would be a Pelini type and good recruiter. He is from Cali and would recruit Cali well. Players would be afraid to not give there best on every play for him. Coach Mac can be his advisor/mentor??!! If CU could pay their asistant coaches better I dont think Bieniemy whold have left CU for UCLA.

Based on the poll on Calhoun, and what Buffnik just said about EB, i'm going to bump up EB and drop calhoun a couple of notches.

Anyone disagree? Vent here!

Kennedy Pola
USC OC, previously position coach there and at Tennessee Titans. A California guy, and can it be a bad thing to have first-hand contact with USC recruits?

The only reason I placed Golden on the list is because of the rumors from last season. I hear he's focused on the PSU job now. Bummer.

A recent article about AD and EB

Peterson shows he's maturing

Eric Bieniemy says the fourth-year running back has learned to be patient, which in turn leads to holes opening.

Link

BTW, Singletary, really? You think Hawkins is insane? Singletary is a freakin' nutbar. Helluva player, weird dude.

Back