What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The anger is building

I was angry 3 years ago. Now just disgusted and numb. I suppose if I still lived in Colorado, I'd try to show up at events to boo.

I have no anger left. Apathy is what they get. I'm hoping it dumps snow so I have an excuse to miss the Utah game.

It is absolutely political at this point. Benson weighs every decision with the "political blowback." The Regents are the ones holding the cards, but we never hear how much they care or how much pressure is on them to make directives to Benson to approve things. Everyone else in the hierarchy is beholden to those decisions.

Regents --> Benson --> DiStephano --> Bohn --> Embree

The people who think that removing DiStephano is going to solve the problem needs to look at the above upline. Bohn has his hands tied, except for hiring processes. For firing processes, it is offically a Chancellor decision, but DiStephano is not going to do anything without clearing it with (taking orders from) Benson first. If Benson perceives the POTENTIAL political blowback of say firing Embree as being greater than the pressure he is receiving from the Regents (which as far as I can tell, is little to none), his decision is easy. The fastest solution is for a donor to come in and say "Here's $X, fire the staff and hire a big coach," Benson would acquiesce, because he wouldn't have to explain away the buyout, as little as it is. Unfortunately, the only donor who seems financially capable of making this happen is holding his $$$ hostage in exchange for nearly full control of the football program. Furthermore, this donor (who is now a billionaire) so off on his football expertise that he would insist (even require) that Mac be our coach next season. This is a game of chicken, and the football team's W-L record has nothing to do with the stakes.

This is what puzzles me. I don't know anybody who would feel it is inappropriate to fire Embree. I think there will be far more political blowback if the DON'T fire Embree. Even normal people around the state that don't have skin in the game think that the state of Colorado football is unacceptable.

This is what puzzles me. I don't know anybody who would feel it is inappropriate to fire Embree. I think there will be far more political blowback if the DON'T fire Embree. Even normal people around the state that don't have skin in the game think that the state of Colorado football is unacceptable.
Realize that:

1. the football program has been a $$$ sinkhole in the last decade (AD had to take loan from campus, Big 12 money went down each year, Simpson et. al legal settlements, other sports cut) plus the football team is/was viewed as a PR headache ("scandal," Boulder anti-football crowd, anti-CU local media)
  2. we've had to buyout two consecutive coaches to the tune of $3M+
  3. CU now receives less than 3% of its budget from the state (and that number is falling) but must remain in beggar mode and ask the state, which is broke, for more; campus buildings are falling apart; lots of other new projects needed on campus
  4. state employees have not gotten raises or bonuses for 4+ years because the state is broke (so buyouts have been a slap in the face to them)

So, given all of that, pumping ANY money into the football program, especially to buyout yet another coach, is seen as ludicrous to those (who are the majority) who don't care about how the football team performs.

I'm not saying I agree with the logic, but you can plainly see why we are are where we're at right now. Money and politics.

Probably the ultimate politician in the administration is DiStefano. We're talking about the one name that was connected to the scandal who survived. Not only that, he has gotten promotions. And for doing what? What are Phil's accomplishments?

Realize that:

1. the football program has been a $$$ sinkhole in the last decade (AD had to take loan from campus, Big 12 money went down each year, Simpson et. al legal settlements, other sports cut) plus the football team is/was viewed as a PR headache ("scandal," Boulder anti-football crowd, anti-CU local media)
  2. we've had to buyout two consecutive coaches to the tune of $3M+
  3. CU now receives less than 3% of its budget from the state (and that number is falling) but must remain in beggar mode and ask the state, which is broke, for more; campus buildings are falling apart; lots of other new projects needed on campus
  4. state employees have not gotten raises or bonuses for 4+ years because the state is broke (so buyouts have been a slap in the face to them)

So, given all of that, pumping ANY money into the football program, especially to buyout yet another coach, is seen as ludicrous to those (who are the majority) who don't care about how the football team performs.

I'm not saying I agree with the logic, but you can plainly see why we are are where we're at right now. Money and politics.

Ok that's all fine and dandy, but isn't the AD budget run pretty much independent of the actual university (minus when we needed a CU foundation buyout)? Plus now we have Pac-12 money

Probably the ultimate politician in the administration is DiStefano. We're talking about the one name that was connected to the scandal who survived. Not only that, he has gotten promotions. And for doing what? What are Phil's accomplishments?

To top it off, he survived his DUI as well

Ok that's all fine and dandy, but isn't the AD budget run pretty much independent of the actual university (minus when we needed a CU foundation buyout)? Plus now we have Pac-12 money
The AD reports to the CFO, but the PAC 12 money is spent by the AD. The issue is that buyouts are subject to Chancellor (President) approval, and Benson is terrified of the idea of later having to go in front of the state and having to justify buyouts when there is such a money crunch going on. We need a donor to step in and pay for the staff to go away so that Benson isn't worried about the political blowback. For hiring coaches, the AD can make it's own decisions and (now) has a huge budget to work with. When donors are on board with a hire, the sky is the limit. We just can't get there right now.

Political blowback? The administration has had no problem raising tuition to fund their own raises.

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-news/ci_19839411

Yeah, that's not helping. Everyone is in CYA mode.

Why not just demote both Embree and Bieniemy, and announce that CU is searching for a new head football coach? That way there is no buy out for either Embree or Bieniemy. The rest of the staff aren't tied to multi-year deals, so tell them all to pack their **** and get out.

Embree can coach TE's and Bieniemy can coach RB's for the new coach. And if they don't like it, they can pack their **** too.

This whole CU football disaster is a microcosm of what can go wrong when the government manages things.

What degree should he have?
What we found speaks volumes: All of these chancellors or presidents [of AAU universities] have been faculty members at respected institutions. All have earned their Ph.D.s/law degrees/ medical degrees or equivalents from respected institutions. All have worked their way up through the university system from faculty member to department chair to dean to provost to chancellor or president.
http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_8254195

Are you surprised we hired a football coach with no experience?

Last edited:
Why not just demote both Embree and Bieniemy, and announce that CU is searching for a new head football coach? That way there is no buy out for either Embree or Bieniemy. The rest of the staff aren't tied to multi-year deals, so tell them all to pack their **** and get out.

Embree can coach TE's and Bieniemy can coach RB's for the new coach. And if they don't like it, they can pack their **** too.

Because that is not how football works. I remember people bringing this up during Hawkins' last two years.

This guy isn't getting the job done. Get a new guy in here who can and let him call the shots. If he can't do it, then you get another guy. Simple as that and that is how football works. If you can't get the job done, get out of the way so someone else can.

This is what happens when you make short-sighted decisions. Benson was appointed purely for fundraising purposes with no consideration for how he could improve the University beyond dollars in the long-term. You could argue that Embree was hired for the same reason.

The AD reports to the CFO, but the PAC 12 money is spent by the AD. The issue is that buyouts are subject to Chancellor (President) approval, and Benson is terrified of the idea of later having to go in front of the state and having to justify buyouts when there is such a money crunch going on. We need a donor to step in and pay for the staff to go away so that Benson isn't worried about the political blowback. For hiring coaches, the AD can make it's own decisions and (now) has a huge budget to work with. When donors are on board with a hire, the sky is the limit. We just can't get there right now.

Yeah, that's not helping. Everyone is in CYA mode.

Isn't the buyout like 500k? What's the big deal? That's pretty much what we spent on 420 this year

Isn't the buyout like 500k? What's the big deal? That's pretty much what we spent on 420 this year

Exactly. That is part of what pisses me off. They are so worried about their image that they drop $500k on the 4/20 enforcement, they close campus, and generally are made to look foolish. Yet, they're scared to invest money into a far bigger issue, which is the football program :lol:

Exactly. That is part of what pisses me off. They are so worried about their image that they drop $500k on the 4/20 enforcement, they close campus, and generally are made to look foolish. Yet, they're scared to invest money into a far bigger issue, which is the football program :lol:
They don't care about their image. It's more that they deem spending on 4/20 a priority. Football is not.

I'm angry because this experiment has ruined my favorite sport for me. I can't even watch the good games like A&M and Alabama because it pisses me off so much.

I used to park my ass in front of the tv from 10am-midnight on Saturdays just watching CFB.

They spent upwards of $700K? on a branding campaign that could have been completed by a student in one day. Football clearly ranks at the bottom of any priorities at CU. Typical short-sighted CU behavior.

They don't care about their image. It's more that they deem spending on 4/20 a priority. Football is not.
This.

The Admin only spent about $124K on 420 (CU Student Govt pitched in $154K), and it was seen as a success (as evidenced by low turnout). Embree's current buyout is $750K. Other variables: PAC 12 money is in the bag regardless of results, and this staff is inexpensive.

Because that is not how football works. I remember people bringing this up during Hawkins' last two years.

This guy isn't getting the job done. Get a new guy in here who can and let him call the shots. If he can't do it, then you get another guy. Simple as that and that is how football works. If you can't get the job done, get out of the way so someone else can.

Oh, I agree with you 110%. However, for those people who are saying that it will be some kind of political blow-back for firing him, due to the University's budget woes, etc. An easy solution is to simply demote them both. Let them continue to make the same pay, just different positions. I seriously doubt that they would choose to operate under such a system; so much the better for CU.

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_8254195

Are you surprised we hired a football coach with no experience?

Are you saying that BB doesnt have experience running an organization commenserate with the CU system? Your example of Embree backs my position, not yours. Embree has the equivilent of a PhD in coaching, only the experience is lacking. BB is a well connected, accomplished business person, and CU has benefitted from that with the largest fund raising in history. What do you think he is supposed to do? Conduct research and teach classes? He may not share the focus on athletics that we wish he possessed, but he is more than qualified to handle his job, and more education wouldnt change a thing.

The Admin only spent about $124K on 420 (CU Student Govt pitched in $154K), and it was seen as a success (as evidenced by low turnout). Embree's current buyout is $750K. Other variables: PAC 12 money is in the bag regardless of results, and this staff is inexpensive.

Embree's buyout is currently $500k.
Bieniemy's buyout is currently $250k.

Are you saying that BB doesnt have experience running an organization commenserate with the CU system? Your example of Embree backs my position, not yours. Embree has the equivilent of a PhD in coaching, only the experience is lacking. BB is a well connected, accomplished business person, and CU has benefitted from that with the largest fund raising in history. What do you think he is supposed to do? Conduct research and teach classes? He may not share the focus on athletics that we wish he possessed, but he is more than qualified to handle his job, and more education wouldnt change a thing.
I tend to think the best leaders have experience in the field and have been in the shoes of the people they are leading. The lack of a post-graduate degree is not as concerning as his lack of experience in a university system before becoming its president.

Slade beat me to it.

Back