What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Back Of The Ticket

Jayne Cobb

One Damn Dirty Ape
Club Member
In responding to a post in a different thread, I actually read the back of the season tickets I received for this year. As a helpful reference, I have done my best to type out the disclaimer on the back of the ticket. Some of the language may (or may not) surprise you:

THIS TICKET IS SOLD SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS

1. This ticket is a revocable license granted for the sole purpose of viewing this event as an eye-witness. Any recording use or reuse (live, delayed, or otherwise) of any portion of this event including without limitation photographs, video, audio, written depiction or any other form of recording is prohibited.
2. The University of Colorado may eject or refuse entry, without refund, for violation of ticket terms and conditions, facility rules, illegal activity, or the CU code of conduct.
3. Attempted or actual resale of this ticket at any price on the grounds of the event is prohibited and may result in prosecution and immediate seizure of tickets without compensation.
4. Patrons accept risk of injury.
5. Patrons expressly grant the University of Colorado and its licensees the use of the Patron's image or likeness in connection with any live or recorded transmission or reproduction of this event.
6. Game dates, times, and location are subject to change without notice. Such changes are not grounds for a refund or exchange.
7. All tickets must be purchased through a licensed authorized agency of the University of Colorado Athletic Department. Tickets purchased from other sources may be lost or stolen and in such cases will not be honored. Any person buying tickets from other sources does so at his/her own risk.
8. This ticket may not be used for advertising promotions, or as a prize in sweepstakes or contests or any other trade purposes without the express written consent of the University of Colorado Athletic Department.
9. The University of Colorado Athletic Department reserves the right to prohibit the carrying of amy items(s) into its facilities. Current list of prohibited items can be found at www.CUBuffs.com. Items may be added prior to or during an event based on briefings by law enforcement agencies.
10. Admission to this event is conditioned the Patron's agreement not to bring any weapon or firearms, including handguns carried in accordance with the Colorado Concealed Carry Act, 18-12-201, et. seq. C.R.S., into the event.
11. Children two and under are required to have a ticket if sitting in the adult person's lap.
12. Patrons agree to observe the rights of others and to abide by the CU Code of Conduct as listed at www.CUBuffs.com. Violators will be ejected from the venue without compensation. All Account Holders are responsible for their conduct as sell as the conduct of the guests and persons occupying their seats. Violations by the Account Holder or anyone occupying their seats may result in having account privileges revoked without compensation.
NO REFUNDS--NO EXCHANGES

I would like to point out a few rather startling aspects to this legal boiler-plate:

1. This ticket is a revocable license granted for the sole purpose of viewing this event as an eye-witness. Any recording use or reuse (live, delayed, or otherwise) of any portion of this event including without limitation photographs, video, audio, written depiction or any other form of recording is prohibited.

So, if you make a video of Ralphie's run--you are in violation of the ticket's terms. If you write a blog post or a forum post that describes the game action (a "written depiction") you are in violation of the tickets terms. If you snap a photograph during the "event," you are violating the ticket's terms.

5. Patrons expressly grant the University of Colorado and its licensees the use of the Patron's image or likeness in connection with any live or recorded transmission or reproduction of this event.

This one isn't surprising, just ironic. Obviously they don't want you to be able to sue if they put your mug upon on BuffVision or the TV broadcast. Fair enough, just ironic in the sense that they don't want you taking any video or photographs of their "event," or even writing about it.

10. Admission to this event is conditioned the Patron's agreement not to bring any weapon or firearms, including handguns carried in accordance with the Colorado Concealed Carry Act, 18-12-201, et. seq. C.R.S., into the event.

Although I have no problem with law-abiding citizens carrying concealed weapons, a football game is a bad place to do it.

Anyway, there is a lot in there that is interesting, once you actually read it.

Standard stuff.

Obviously, some of the stuff is not strictly enforced. CU is not going to go after someone for taking a picture of Ralphie running and putting it up on a personal Facebook.

With regards to #1...I shot footage of Eberhart's game-winning FG vs. OU in '07 from my spot in the student section and posted it on my YouTube account...a couple of months later, the CU Marketing department contacted me and asked if they could use the footage for their season ticket ads, and thus this was born...so much for #1...

[video=youtube;zEJxXfN92YU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEJxXfN92YU&list=UUeTemrMnh7mAtN99BD6jo4Q [/video]

Standard stuff.

Obviously, some of the stuff is not strictly enforced. CU is not going to go after someone for taking a picture of Ralphie running and putting it up on a personal Facebook.

Not to mention, unenforceable. For example, if you are injured due to CU's negligence, you can bet they're going to be held responsible, despite #4.

Also note that the drawing for AB tickets goes against rule #8.

Not to mention, unenforceable. For example, if you are injured due to CU's negligence, you can bet they're going to be held responsible, despite #4.

Also note that the drawing for AB tickets goes against rule #8.

I don't think it does. It's not an AB promotion. We buy them as a group of individuals and then we hand them out based the fairest way - a drawing. People do that all the time with tickets, just not usually online.

With regards to #1...I shot footage of Eberhart's game-winning FG vs. OU in '07 from my spot in the student section and posted it on my YouTube account...a couple of months later, the CU Marketing department contacted me and asked if they could use the footage for their season ticket ads, and thus this was born...so much for #1...

[video=youtube;zEJxXfN92YU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEJxXfN92YU&list=UUeTemrMnh7mAtN99BD6jo4Q [/video]

If you said "no" to the marketing department's request you might have a different story. They didn't have a problem with it at the time because you allowed them to exploit your footage (for free, I assume).

I don't think it does. It's not an AB promotion. We buy them as a group of individuals and then we hand them out based the fairest way - a drawing. People do that all the time with tickets, just not usually online.

8. This ticket may not be used for advertising promotions, or as a prize in sweepstakes or contests or any other trade purposes without the express written consent of the University of Colorado Athletic Department.

I agree it's not a promotion, but the way this is written with the "or" clauses it doesn't have to be. But I agree it's arguable, after all it's written by lawyers so they can continue to ream the general public.

I agree it's not a promotion, but the way this is written with the "or" clauses it doesn't have to be. But I agree it's arguable, after all it's written by lawyers so they can continue to ream the general public.

AB doesn't buy the tickets, though. You don't have to be a paying member of the site to be eligible. There is no "trade purpose". It's more like if my family had 2 tickets and 4 people wanted to go so we drew straws. CU is not trying to prohibit that.

If you said "no" to the marketing department's request you might have a different story. They didn't have a problem with it at the time because you allowed them to exploit your footage (for free, I assume).

Exactly why I didn't say no - didn't want to have any possible repercussions from saying no...I didn't ask for anything but a copy of the ad on DVD so I could have it for my records since I did not live in Colorado at the time the ad was aired, and they sent that to me promptly without issues...

This one isn't surprising, just ironic. Obviously they don't want you to be able to sue if they put your mug upon on BuffVision or the TV broadcast. Fair enough, just ironic in the sense that they don't want you taking any video or photographs of their "event," or even writing about it.

CU like other sporting events does prohibit certain camera equipment from the stands. Generally any camera with a detachable lens is rejected at security. So they don't care if you make a video of Ralphie - they just don't want it to be of saleable quality.

Exactly why I didn't say no - didn't want to have any possible repercussions from saying no...I didn't ask for anything but a copy of the ad on DVD so I could have it for my records since I did not live in Colorado at the time the ad was aired, and they sent that to me promptly without issues...

I think any of us would've done the same. I'm just saying they may have forced the issue a bit under condition #1 if you had said no. OTOH, CU has never struck me as being very heavy handed in enforcing its rights against supporters of the university.

CU like other sporting events does prohibit certain camera equipment from the stands. Generally any camera with a detachable lens is rejected at security. So they don't care if you make a video of Ralphie - they just don't want it to be of saleable quality.

I have been able to take in a DSLR with a pretty long lens into a game, although not regularly, as it is a pain to carry around. I think that they are really just reserving their rights on this issue, and unless you start selling footage, they are never going to care about it.

The allbuffs.com ticket drawing does not break rule #8 at all. It's not a promotion. We're not out advertising "come to allbuffs so you can enter to receive tickets". We're not selling them for a profit. We're giving them away.

Back