What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Case for Pat Fitzgerald

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Fitzgerald doesn't get publicized much for the CU job and I think it's because people don't know much about him. I think he brings the whole package we are looking for. I was really surprised with his close ties to CU people and the influence the Buff way has had throughout his playing and coaching careers.

Here's the bio.

Personal
Born December 2, 1974 in Orland Park, IL
Married (Stacy) with 3 sons (Jack, Ryan, Brendan)

Player
Northwestern LB from 1993 to 1996
Recruited by Gary Barnett and played all 4 years for him
Saw a 2-9 team in 1993 develop into back-to-back Big 10 Champs in 1995 and 1996
Led those championship teams as back-to-back Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year
Also only back-to-back winner of Bronko Nagurski Trophy and Chuck Bednarik Award
Inducted into College Football Hall of Fame in 2008
1 Year in NFL with Dallas Cowboys in 1997

Coach
1998: Linebackers Coach with Maryland under HC Ron Vanderlinden (Buff coach from 1983-1991)
1999: Linebackers Coach with Colorado under HC Gary Barnett
2000: Linebackers Coach with Idaho under HC Tom Cable (Buff coach from 1992-1999)
2001-2005: Linebackers Coach with Northwestern
2006-present: Head Coach with Northwestern

Noteworthy:

Mike Bohn was the Idaho Athletic Director when Fitzgerald coached there.
Hired Mike Hankwitz (former Buff Defensive Coordinator) to be his DC in 2008.
American Football Coaches Association Ethics Committee since 2009.
Salary is $750,000 per year with a contract through 2015.

Summary of Northwestern performance:

Fitzgerald was preceded at Northwestern by Randy Walker. Walker had a losing record in 4/7 seasons at Northwestern with a season best of 8-4 in 2000. His last 3 seasons, the team had improved to consistent mediocrity going 6-7, 6-6, 7-5 in 2003, 2004, 2005. Walker then suddenly died in June of 2006, apparently from a heart attack.

Fitzgerald was named the Head Coach at only 31 years old under these difficult circumstances and went 4-8 his first season. He followed that up by going 6-6 in 2007, 9-4 in 2008, and 8-5 in 2009.

The 2010 team is currently 7-3 with games against Illinois and Wisconsin remaining. Realistically, they'd be fortunate to win one of them as their star quarterback Dan Persa (who was also leading the team in rushing) ruptured his Achilles during the post-game celebration after the win over #13 Iowa.

Negatives on Fitzgerald:

I see two potential issues.

First, he is not a big name on the west coast despite his success as a BCS head coach. We need to energize our existing boosters and make a splash with our potential west coast boosters. The timing with a move to the Pac-12 in 2011 means that this hire needs to make a big splash.

Second, Fitzgerald has not really been part of an elite recruiting environment with a program that is regularly competing against Top 25 programs for the top prospects. He did have the 1 year in Colorado, so that statement isn't completely true, but that's still just 1 year. Most of his career has been at Northwestern where their class is always ranked outside the top 50.

Thoughts?

I like him but if NU is his alma mater, why would he leave? I don't peg him as a Rich Rod type, besides, we couldn't buy out his contract.

I love the idea but I'm not sure if he wants to leave his job at the point and he's not a west coast type of guy. If he wants the CU job, we ought to get him.

Who are the assistants going to be? It is the same basic question with every candidate. I get most people like the fact he hired Hankwitz as his DC, but who is going to be on the staff to help recruit and win in the Pac-12. Not sure Fitzgerald's contacts are all that extensive.

His bio seems pretty decent for such a young coach.

My reservation: Who is he? This is the first I have ever heard of him (not saying much considering I don't watch much Big 10 football).

Though I despise NU and Fitz, I think he'd be a coup if we could land him. I mainly despise him because of his success. He's one of those guys who can "take his guys and beat your guys, then take your guys and beat his guys."

Seriously, the guy is very intelligent and uber-emotional. He is a student of the game and he knows how to fill out his staff. And for those of us who missed the passion/excitement under Hawkins, you will love Fitz. He takes every Big Ten rivalry personally, and he uses anecdotes from his own career to motivate his team against Illinois, Iowa, etc. This no doubt inspires them in the underdog role. His playing experience is likely very valuable on the recruiting trail, as it was not only recent, but dominant (he is one of the best LB's to ever play college football).

My only reservation is that he is an NU guy, so why would he leave? I guess the only answer here is ambition, which I believe him to possess (he was the youngest D-1 coach a few years back, at 31) in large quantities.

Like - defensive pedigree, Buff ties

Dislike - lack of coordinator exp on the resume, and his AC exp doesn't really address our deficiencies (QB, secondary, RB, ST). If it's possible to have a lower media profile than AFA, Northwestern is it.

Questions - seems like the biggest legit rap against Calhoun is that he hasn't beat a top 10 team. Has Fitzgerald beaten tOSU or Wisc?

You seriously don't remember him?

Fitzgerald.jpg

His bio seems pretty decent for such a young coach.

My reservation: Who is he? This is the first I have ever heard of him (not saying much considering I don't watch much Big 10 football).

He was never the actual LB coach. He was a defensive grad assistant with Barnett, I believe.

Pat Fitzgerald is a Northwestern Alum. He got the job when the prior coach died unexpectedly in the middle of the season. While I think he is a nice coach, and I'd be fine with him in the grand scheme of things - I would not expect him to leave unless we threw a TON of money his direction.

Dislike - lack of coordinator exp on the resume, and his AC exp doesn't really address our deficiencies (QB, secondary, RB, ST). If it's possible to have a lower media profile than AFA, Northwestern is it.

Questions - seems like the biggest legit rap against Calhoun is that he hasn't beat a top 10 team. Has Fitzgerald beaten tOSU or Wisc?

Don't know about top 10, but he did beat a #13 team last weekend...

Fitz has beaten Wisconsin numerous times, but they are hardly conference royalty. That said, I don't think Fitz has fared well against the OSU's and UM's of the world.

Interestingly, one of his strengths is winning on the road in conference play. Go figure.

He beat Wisconsin last season and he owns Iowa. Otherwise, the record against top 10-15 programs is mediocre to bad.

You seriously don't remember him?

I really don't. The only guy that immediately comes to mind from a Northwestern team was Darnell Autry or Autry Denson? I can't remember, one was at NW and the ND. I recall them both having success at similar times.

I was in college at the time he played and really didn't see any games other than CU. I was and am not a well traveled college football guy.

Like I wrote, his credentials seem pretty darn good.

As a player, he was cut from a throwback cloth. Not uber-athletic like many LB's we see today. But super tough and fundamentally sound. Like a Dick Butkus.

As a coach, he was named HC at a young age. As such, he supplemented his experience by keeping the same system in place as his predecessor and hiring good coordinators. It's hard to judge his recruiting considering NU's academic hurdles and lack of history.

I really don't. The only guy that immediately comes to mind from a Northwestern team was Darnell Autry or Autry Denson? I can't remember, one was at NW and the ND. I recall them both having success at similar times.

I was in college at the time he played and really didn't see any games other than CU. I was and am not a well traveled college football guy.

Like I wrote, his credentials seem pretty darn good.

As a player, he was cut from a throwback cloth. Not uber-athletic like many LB's we see today. But super tough and fundamentally sound. Like a Dick Butkus.

I like his credentials and I love the throwback toughness. I would love to develop a tough team identity focusing on a strong defense. Sounds like he may be that sort of guy.

Fitzgerald was preceded at Northwestern by Randy Walker. Walker had a losing record in 4/7 seasons at Northwestern with a season best of 8-4 in 2000. His last 3 seasons, the team had improved to consistent mediocrity going 6-7, 6-6, 7-5 in 2003, 2004, 2005. Walker then suddenly died in June of 2006, apparently from a heart attack.

So he took a team that was averaging ~7 wins a season with a high of 8-4 to a team that averages 7 wins a season with a high of 9-3. Color me unimpressed. He may be an up and comer and he may have the credentials, but his record speaks for itself.

If we're going to reach for an 'up and comer' with the credentials, give me a Hoke type that takes a team and improves them and coaches them up rather than someone that maintains the status quo.

Wasn't this guy essentially the Northwestern equivalent of an EB type candidate? Why would we want to have the Northwestern version of EB when we can have EB (yes I recognize that he now has HC experience). Also I don't think I see him ditching his Alma Mater for CU, it's not like he'd be getting offered Michigan, OSU, or Alabama. Plus I can't see Gary talking up the opportunity when Fitzgerald calls him to get the 411 on the Colorado situation.

You apparently don't know the Big Ten. This is about as improbable as Vanderbilt ripping through the SEC for 8-9 wins every year. Or, what Harbaugh is doing at Stanford (which most of us think is nothing short of amazing). Northwestern went like 30 straight seasons without a winning season, and even went like 3-4 straight seasons without a single win. Barnett had a few good years, but Fitz steadied the ship.

So he took a team that was averaging ~7 wins a season with a high of 8-4 to a team that averages 7 wins a season with a high of 9-3. Color me unimpressed. He may be an up and comer and he may have the credentials, but his record speaks for itself.

If we're going to reach for an 'up and comer' with the credentials, give me a Hoke type that takes a team and improves them and coaches them up rather than someone that maintains the status quo.

fitzgerald is a lower tier 1 guy for me... id rather have him than mac or eb...but if richt or miles want it... id rather have them

Last edited:
You apparently don't know the Big Ten. This is about as improbable as Vanderbilt ripping through the SEC for 8-9 wins every year. Or, what Harbaugh is doing at Stanford (which most of us think is nothing short of amazing). Northwestern went like 30 straight seasons without a winning season, and even went like 3-4 straight seasons without a single win. Barnett had a few good years, but Fitz steadied the ship.

Please, their run of 30 straight losing seasons ended 15 years ago, not last year, not 5 years ago, 15. In college football terms, that's a lifetime, recruits the last 5 years don't see the toilet Northwestern team, they see the Cinderella that's been pimped by the media and is averaging 6-7 wins a year. It's not like Fitzgerald came in after two good years and laid a new foundation. He's maintained a slightly better record than Barnett and basically the same record as Walker in the previous decade. He's taken a program that was built up and turned around by Barnett and Walker and operates in a college football environment that's much different than even 15 years ago with scholarship limits and in an era when even marginal teams are on TV most of the time.

In fact, I'm sure you probably said the same thing about Hawkins coming out of Boise St 5 years ago since the histories are largely similar, NW just has a much tougher conference to deal with.

Last edited:
It would subject us to mockery by name alone.
Did you hear about the gay Irish couple?

Patrick Fitzgerald and Gerald Fitzpatrick.

NTTIAWWT.

it's of the opinion of Tom Kenzler (Denver Post) that Fitzgerald isn't a consideration because he's tied too closely to Gary Barnett...
heard this on the noon hour on 1510 a.m.

Kenzler likes Fitzgerald but thinks it's not a direction CU will go.

Pat Fitzgerald isn't coming here, why would he? He's from the Chicago area, and has built up a lot of goodwill and job security at his alma mater. The CU job is better, but I don't see him leaving unless its for a Top 10 program or the NFL.

Back