What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Depth Arugment

PacNWBuff

I was discussing this with my friend who is a huge CU fan and a rivals sub. We were talking about Kasa and his choices and his argument was he should choose CU because of our depth and lack of talent at DE. I disagreed with him. I basically said this was a homer point of view. At some point, if we keep recruiting like this, that point is shot. The goal would be to get kids to come to CU because they would have to be the best in order to play. When do we stop saying "you are probably better than the players we already have" to incoming freshman. I hate to use USC as an example, because they are the standard for college football right now, but Carroll does it right. He plays the best player regardless of age, but everyone know that, at USC, you have to earn playing time.

Oviously times have changed and high school players are more ready to contribute right away. With a player like Kasa (or any top rated recruit) should the pitch not be "you have the talent to come in and play rigth away at any program, but you have to earn it". I, for one, want Obi and Herrod to make it impossible for Kasa to see the field as a true freshman after he chooses CU.

I know Hawk and company are telling these guys they have to earn it. i just want the day when fans stop looking at every top rated recruit as a savior and immediate starter. Sorry for the mini-rant.

I look forward to the day when we can get a four or five star recruit at every position, every year. but until we start winning back to back MNCs, we all know that aint gonna happen.

Every coach in America can sell a dream. Kids want something more.

so until we win those back to back MNCs, we need to build by getting as many playmakers as we can. And one way to entice a HS all-amercian is to point out opportunities were there is a hole in the roster that needs to be filled.

I don't think that is a "homer" argument - it's a practical, fact-based argument. A homer argument would be "Kasa should pick CU because Hawk will be better than Meyer at UF." While I believe it, it has no basis in rationality or fact.

Last year, it was linebacker - with only a handful of scholarship players, the staff was able to get the #2 and #9 inside backers in the country. Now we can start to build depth at the position.

This year, it will be DE and CB. Go out, get some absolute studs with the lure of potential early playing time (despite a 6-7 record), win a few more games, and start to get the big guns on the basis of playing for a winner.

Back