What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The destruction of UT reporter Chip Brown

Good point, but I have no idea how strictly they enforce any of those rules. I have only ever heard of BYU students being expelled for ****ing and drinking.

Griner wasn't to be seen holding hands with a girlfriend while under scholarship at Baylor.

To be honest, who would want to be seen holding hands with anyone at ****Baylor?

1009baylorcosby.JPG

Re: Brittney Griner, since we somehow started down that road

1. If I have a future #1 overall pick on campus they can get it with any man, woman, or space alien and as long as it's consensual I'm pretending me and God were looking the other way while it was happening.

2. YOU tell Brittney Griner to her face that you have a problem with anything at all about her. I personally will be keeping my dental work intact and my asshole count steady at 1.

Great, now YS is enjoying aik's asshole. That could never happen at Baylor unless Griner was involved.

I am no means a defender or fan of **** Baylor or its policies, but they are equal-opportunity ****heads. "Non-marital sex" means heterosexual sex, so basically no sex of any kind. You could just as easily say "You can be straight, just don't be straight" under that policy.
Um... did you stop reading right after the line that you quoted? The very next part is: "non-marital sexual misconduct, homosexual conduct..." I guess it might depend on how they interpret that, but I interpret that statement in a way that would dovetail with Nik's assertion that they did not allow Griner to hold hands in public- i.e. any action with homosexual romantic implications would be punishable the same way as heterosexual sex acts. I don't think that's "equal opportunity" under any sense of the phrase.

Britney Griner could have cleaned a carpet on the arena floor and the admin there wouldn't have done a damn thing. We get all over BYU for having a convenient set of moral standards, but they can't hold a candle to Baylor.

Britney Griner could have cleaned a carpet on the arena floor and the admin there wouldn't have done a damn thing. We get all over BYU for having a convenient set of moral standards, but they can't hold a candle to Baylor.
You also have to question Griner's moral fiber for choosing a school that actively demonizes her lifestyle.

I certainly don't agree with all of BYU's standards but at least they have enforced them at times when it hurt the school in terms of success. They have suspended starting football players and one of their best basketball players going into the NCAA tourney, likely costing them a chance to advance a round or two further.

What bothers me about Baylor is that they act like they have standards but those standards always lose out to the $$$$$.

Baylor is horrific. Don't give BYU too much credit, though. At BYU, the only suspensions by the morality police in basketball and football that I am aware of have been when baby bumps showed up on girlfriends. Davies was pulled from the NCAA tournament only after widespread complaints that his girlfriend, also a BYU basketball player, was not allowed to participate in her NCAA tourney for the health of the couple's unborn baby. Something about good for the goose, also good for the gander. Quite an internal storm brewed over that one, given the timing and high quality of Davies' play.

I certainly don't agree with all of BYU's standards but at least they have enforced them at times when it hurt the school in terms of success. They have suspended starting football players and one of their best basketball players going into the NCAA tourney, likely costing them a chance to advance a round or two further.

What bothers me about Baylor is that they act like they have standards but those standards always lose out to the $$$$$.

Baylor is horrific. Don't give BYU too much credit, though. At BYU, the only suspensions by the morality police in basketball and football that I am aware of have been when baby bumps showed up on girlfriends. Davies was pulled from the NCAA tournament only after widespread complaints that his girlfriend, also a BYU basketball player, was not allowed to participate in her NCAA tourney for the health of the couple's unborn baby. Something about good for the goose, also good for the gander. Quite an internal storm brewed over that one, given the timing and high quality of Davies' play.

I remember when the Davies thing happened and some newspaper ran an article showing that BYU seems to target their African American players more than others though.

Edit- found a Deadspin article:

Over the past month, BYU has been held up as a symbol of all that is decent in college sports for its unsparing treatment of Brandon Davies, the African-American basketball player who violated the school's honor code by reportedly having sex with his girlfriend. Davies was suspended shortly before the NCAA tournament, and a braying mainstream press lauded BYU for sticking to its principles. Sports Illustrated's website even wondered if a values-driven, "non-hypocritical" BYU was "on the verge of becoming America's team."

The reality isn't so appealing. While it's impossible to know how many students disobey BYU's honor code, which prohibits fornication and alcohol use, among other things, the honor code violations that come to light almost always involve student-athletes. And they almost always involve athletes of color. Since 1993, according to our research, at least 70 athletes have been suspended, dismissed, put on probation, or forced to withdraw from their teams or the school after running afoul of the honor code. Fifty-four of them, or nearly 80 percent, are minorities.
http://deadspin.com/5791461/the-truth-about-race-religion-and-the-honor-code-at-byu

I think you might be mixing facts from a couple incidents here. That said, lot's of kids have been kicked out of BYU for having sex. If you are in Utah and you are Black, you would have little anonymity. The number of black people in Provo is pretty close to the number of black athletes. It would seem to be a place that is really limited in the net they can cast for prospects. No reason they should ever be ahead of CU in recruiting. Even with the high % of Poly's that areLDS.

I remember when the Davies thing happened and some newspaper ran an article showing that BYU seems to target their African American players more than others though.

Edit- found a Deadspin article:

http://deadspin.com/5791461/the-truth-about-race-religion-and-the-honor-code-at-byu

There is no question that BYU has double standards. I think you would find double standards about things at virtually every university in the country including CU. Some, such as Baylor, are more notable or despicable than others.

I saw a figure a number of years back regarding BYU. At the time (and this is from memory so may be off but not by a great deal) they had roughly 185 African-American students enrolled in the entire university, of those something like 176 of them were scholarship athletes. Easy to draw some conclusions from those figures.

Fact is though that they have suspended or sanctioned white students, athletes or not, for the same offenses as they have sanctioned black students. Is it applied evenly, probably not, the culture would make that difficult but it is applied.

Baylor on the other hand willingly turns a blind eye to athletes who have records of rape, who have involvement in hard drugs, who have stolen or been involved in violence against others if they can help them win on the field.

There is no question that BYU has double standards. I think you would find double standards about things at virtually every university in the country including CU. Some, such as Baylor, are more notable or despicable than others.

I saw a figure a number of years back regarding BYU. At the time (and this is from memory so may be off but not by a great deal) they had roughly 185 African-American students enrolled in the entire university, of those something like 176 of them were scholarship athletes. Easy to draw some conclusions from those figures.

Fact is though that they have suspended or sanctioned white students, athletes or not, for the same offenses as they have sanctioned black students. Is it applied evenly, probably not, the culture would make that difficult but it is applied.

The article goes into that a little bit:

Clearly, though, something is amiss at BYU, where around 23 percent of the athletes are minorities, according to the university. Only .6 percent of the student body is black (176 out of the 32,947 students enrolled in 2010). Yet a majority of the honor code violations involve black athletes. Do these numbers mean these athletes "sin" more than everyone else? Hardly. Several former BYU football players told us that their white teammates routinely broke the honor code and got away with it, either because they didn't get caught or because their violations were covered up. (To a lesser extent, this holds true for Polynesian athletes, 14 of whom are included in our honor code tally. More on that later.) Mormon athletes can turn to bishops and church leaders from their own homogeneous communities — people who look like them and might even be related to them — to "repent" and avoid official punishment. Black athletes, who are typically non-Mormon, rarely have this option.

My point wasn't to show how hypocritical BYU is. My point was to show that Baylor takes hypocricy to levels BYU can only dream of.

Back