What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Embree/EB Bandwagon

Dan hawkins was a TE coach and an associate HC at boise...just sayin'

Dan hawkins was a TE coach and an associate HC at boise...just sayin'

The one thing I demand in our new Head Coach is experience in a BCS program. The head guy at CU needs to know what it's like to run a program on that level and also needs the coaching tree that comes from being in the big tent.

I'll take an NFL guy. I'll take a successful non-BCS head coach.

But please, Mike Bohn, make sure that whomever you select for the job has worked in a successful BCS program.

If we were to land a former Buff as a HC would the admin loosen up a little bit on admissions? If so, hire him! If not, put him on a list of candidates and interview them all going over all of the difficulties faced by this admin.

Bohn surely has to know all of the difficulties in running a successful program at CU now that he's been here a while.

Aren't we complaining about Hawk's coaching or lack thereof? What makes anyone think a TE coach would do any better... Embree would be nowhere close to the discussion if he wasn't a Buff, even for a coordinators position

Aren't we complaining about Hawk's coaching or lack thereof? What makes anyone think a TE coach would do any better... Embree would be nowhere close to the discussion if he wasn't a Buff, even for a coordinators position

Brewster at Minnesota is the only other coach I can think of who went from TEs coach in the NFL to D1 head coach without any coordinator/HC experience.

Okay, believe what you want. But, I don't know how you can disagree with it after seeing what Embo did, and the influence that he had at this years Buffs4Life golf tournament.

There is a huge difference in getting support for a charity, and getting support to take on the HC job. Its hard not to like Jon, but that doesnt mean he is qualified to be a successful D1 HC. The last thing I want to do is hire a coach only because he is well liked by people that used to be affiliated with the program.

I don't care who they hire, just so long as he wins. Embree? fine - so long as he wins. Patterson, Kelly, Holtz, whoever - fine. So long as they win. My patience is gone.

There is a huge difference in getting support for a charity, and getting support to take on the HC job. Its hard not to like Jon, but that doesnt mean he is qualified to be a successful D1 HC. The last thing I want to do is hire a coach only because he is well liked by people that used to be affiliated with the program.

You are the one that called out buffnik for saying that Embree was a leader among former players...and then you called me out for affirming that what he said was true.

Now it looks like you are changing your argument...and saying that just because he does have the support of the former players, doesn't mean that he would be a good HC. Fine.

I would debate your new position by stating that Embree is influential among, and supported by the former players because he has all of the qualities that would make him a good coach. Former player, current player, or future player…..it doesn’t matter. They all look for and support the same type of qualities in their coaches and teammates. JE has passed the litmus test of the former players and coaches. What makes you think that this wouldn’t carry through to the current and future players at CU? He knows what it takes to win, he supports the history and culture at CU, and he is a phenomenal motivator and recruiter.

I am not saying that he IS the guy that CU must hire….but he would be a very good choice

JE has passed the litmus test of the former players and coaches. What makes you think that this wouldn’t carry through to the current and future players at CU?

Maybe the fact that he has never been a coordinator, much less a head coach, anyplace else? He's a position coach. Personally, I'd prefer to have somebody with a little more on his resume. If Bohn decides to go in that direction, I'll be supportive, but the leash is going to be very short. We don't have the luxury of allowing a guy to learn on the job.

Maybe the fact that he has never been a coordinator, much less a head coach, anyplace else? He's a position coach. Personally, I'd prefer to have somebody with a little more on his resume. If Bohn decides to go in that direction, I'll be supportive, but the leash is going to be very short. We don't have the luxury of allowing a guy to learn on the job.

If they go that direction, and I think Embree has a lot of positive selling points, they need to have a proven, successful OC for his staff.

EB would bring some good things to the staff, but he isn't a proven x's and o's guy. I've watched enough ****ty offensive game plans in Boulder, thanks. I'll pass on EB as a coordinator under Embree... :huh:

If they go that direction, and I think Embree has a lot of positive selling points, they need to have a proven, successful OC for his staff.

EB would bring some good things to the staff, but he isn't a proven x's and o's guy. I've watched enough ****ty offensive game plans in Boulder, thanks. I'll pass on EB as a coordinator under Embree... :huh:

I totally agree with EB not being the offensive coordinator for the reason you mentioned and one more.

One of the greatest values EB brings to a staff is that he's a no-nonsene, in-your-face guy who is always getting the sideline fired up. He can't do that from the booth.

I'd see him as RB Coach/ Recruiting Coordinator / Run Game Coordinator.

You are the one that called out buffnik for saying that Embree was a leader among former players...and then you called me out for affirming that what he said was true.

Now it looks like you are changing your argument...and saying that just because he does have the support of the former players, doesn't mean that he would be a good HC. Fine.

I would debate your new position by stating that Embree is influential among, and supported by the former players because he has all of the qualities that would make him a good coach. Former player, current player, or future player…..it doesn’t matter. They all look for and support the same type of qualities in their coaches and teammates. JE has passed the litmus test of the former players and coaches. What makes you think that this wouldn’t carry through to the current and future players at CU? He knows what it takes to win, he supports the history and culture at CU, and he is a phenomenal motivator and recruiter.

I am not saying that he IS the guy that CU must hire….but he would be a very good choice

That's simply not true. He's the guy most of the ex-players and ex-coaches are behind

You guys are saying the former players and the big donors want Jon as the next head coach. I am saying that is not the consensus. I dont know how I was'nt being clear. If you think people like Jon based on his qualification to be HC, I know you dont know what you are talking about.

I would be fine hiring Embree as HC and having EB as OC. First, I don't think you can hold lack of high profile coaching experience against them - how many african american HC and coordinators are there in the country? Why not give them a chance. Second, can our offense get worse? Are we really worried about being 117th in D1 instead of 110th? Third, I think having a diverse staff will help break the perception of CU being lilly white and help recruiting. I am sure that Hagan would be allowed to stay on as an assistant coach as well.

I like the hires because it will rejuvienate the program and those guys will bring pride and passion with them. I've been a Hawk guy up to this season, you can't fault the improvements off the field, but it is a lack of CARING that has pushed me over the limit. He doesn't seem to care that we get blown out. He doesn't seem to care that we don't execute worth a crap. The list goes on and on.

I think you will see the expectations raised with Embree and EB. I guarantee the won't accept piss poor effort and bad execution. They very well may struggle with game planning and play calling, but hey, we are conditioned to see that now.

You guys are saying the former players and the big donors want Jon as the next head coach. I am saying that is not the consensus. I dont know how I was'nt being clear. If you think people like Jon based on his qualification to be HC, I know you dont know what you are talking about.

We are saying that the former players and coaches would fully support JE as the HC. Not the big donors.

The former players and coaches could care less about a resume. They have seen who he is, what he is about and what he is capable of with their own two eyes.

If you don't think that is true, I know that you don't know what you're talking about :smile2:

last time around at ucla, there was vast support among former players and coaches and boosters for karl dorrell. he was "true blue"... he "understood" the "unique" recruiting environment at ucla. everyone loved him. the former players and big boosters would really up their donations because of the dorrell love-fest, it was said.

it last about half a season. they turned on dorrell rapidly when he didn't display enough "leadership" and "passion" on the sidelines during games. oh, and he didn't win nearly enough games, either.

embree has never been a hc. embree has never even been a coordinator. he is a reach. now, don't get me wrong--- he's a reach but i'd support his hire, especially if it happens like now and if he assembles the kind of staff that he is rumored to be able to assemble. unlike hawkins, embree has a large and talented coaching tree to help him build a great staff. and, we know embree could recruit well. and, he does understand boulder and he would garner the respect and support of the CU community.

but, let's not pretend it isn't a huge risk. my first choice would be to go get a big name who has proven experience in MAJOR college ball and who is known as a lights-out recruiter, hopefully with big ties in california and/or texas. a choice along those lines would be far safer but also far more expensive than embree. nonetheless, when the hammer comes down (and it has to come down), i hope they do a full search and see who is interested and then they can make an informed choice. the only exception to this would be if they are actually going to fire this staff like now or in a few days. in that case, embree would be a good choice because he can start right away, everyone knows him, he's cheaper than a big name, and he'd get the CU community to circle the wagons immediately.

I would be fine hiring Embree as HC and having EB as OC. First, I don't think you can hold lack of high profile coaching experience against them - how many african american HC and coordinators are there in the country? Why not give them a chance. Second, can our offense get worse? Are we really worried about being 117th in D1 instead of 110th? Third, I think having a diverse staff will help break the perception of CU being lilly white and help recruiting. I am sure that Hagan would be allowed to stay on as an assistant coach as well.

I like the hires because it will rejuvienate the program and those guys will bring pride and passion with them. I've been a Hawk guy up to this season, you can't fault the improvements off the field, but it is a lack of CARING that has pushed me over the limit. He doesn't seem to care that we get blown out. He doesn't seem to care that we don't execute worth a crap. The list goes on and on.

I think you will see the expectations raised with Embree and EB. I guarantee the won't accept piss poor effort and bad execution. They very well may struggle with game planning and play calling, but hey, we are conditioned to see that now.

The fact that you think Hagan would be kept on pretty well contradicts that statement.... :wow:

And to be honest with you, the idea that we might actually look at a candidate and say "well, he might struggle coaching, but we really can't get worse and he'll help our reputation" is absolutely the LAST thing I want to hear right now. We need COACHES who can make players BETTER. Yes, we need passion, and that part of Embree appeals to me. But we don't have time to let people learn on the job right now, or give us more teams that might have all the intangibles but get outcoached every week. We've seen enough of that ****. We need a coach that can COACH, if not as the head guy, at least as a coordinator...

And frankly, I really don't give that much of a **** if the guy has ever been inside Folsom Field before, if he is the guy who can make that happen.

Bottom line for me, and I have been saying this all yr. Is we need an offensive or defensive cord. and a lights out recruiter from the BIG 12. Someone who understands how to coach and recruit in the BIG 12, and prepare and put the most talented players on the field to win.

I love Embree and EB and will support them if they come back to the program. That being said, I'm seeing a huge fixation with the buff nation to try to turn our heroes of the past into our heroes (and saviors) for the future. It would be fantastic if it worked out that way but it's a story book notion that rarely turns into reality. Do we want to bet the future of our program on an extremely unlikely scenario? How about we just hire the right guy no matter where he comes from. It would be nice if he had CU ties but I want a guy who can make us win more.

I love Embree and EB and will support them if they come back to the program. That being said, I'm seeing a huge fixation with the buff nation to try to turn our heroes of the past into our heroes (and saviors) for the future. It would be fantastic if it worked out that way but it's a story book notion that rarely turns into reality. Do we want to bet the future of our program on an extremely unlikely scenario? How about we just hire the right guy no matter where he comes from. It would be nice if he had CU ties but I want a guy who can make us win more.

I agree completely, but the thing with Embree and Bienemy is I feel like they could be both. They have the ties to CU, the passion, would work here cheaper (which we'll need after a buyout), plus, they have some of the intagibles that we need now. They are monster recruiters---with ties to Texas and California, they've both got a lot of experience in the run game and developing RB's (though, I could coach Peterson), and bring that fire and passion back that we've been missing. Also, as has been stated here before, the importance of a minority hire (or 2 in this case) cant be understated for the current perception in boulder-town.

I like EB and Embree, but I may be biased because I do love the coming home again thing they have going for them. I must say, they did leave for greener pastures at UCLA, not sure I love that.

works for me.

:lol: Yep let's hire that 3-6 football coach at Buffalo who's had one winning season in his career.... . Plus he's an ex-****er.. :woot:

We hire Turner Gill, all hell will break loose.

EB/Embree or David Gibbs should be candidates. I won't cry if they don't get the job over someone else that I feel is more qualified, but if they are completely passed over by this Bonehead athletic director than shame on him. He already fu$$ed up the last "home run" hire. Get a clue Bohn. Stop trying to act like you actually know anything about hiring coaches..

Last edited:
Back