What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Embree/EB Bandwagon

why is everyone here so fired up for embree as the hc and eb as the oc? to me it makes more sense to have eb as the hc and embree as the oc. they both have similar levels of exerience and to me it seems that eb has more of the personality for hc.

I think it makes more sense to have EB as the Running backs coach and Embree as the Tight ends coach. If you want nostalgia, there you have it. The last thing we need to do is take a huge leap of faith with a hire that has no experience getting it done.

Same with Dave Logan. It think he might actually do a great job. But there is zero precedence for a guy going from High School to D-1 and having success that I'm aware of. There's a few that failed though in historic ways.

from rivals, the case for embree as the hc:

http://colorado.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=422&tid=134674000&mid=134674000&sid=894&style=2

The following reasons are why he should be hired:

Career as a CU player

--As a Tight End for Colorado (’83-86), Jon was a major reason for program’s rise to national prominence under former Head Coach Bill McCartney. He was named first team all-Big 8 and finished his CU tenure in the top five of two separate career categories; receptions (80) and receiving yards (1,116). The Los Angeles Rams selected him in the 6th round of the 1987 NFL Draft. He went on to play with the Rams for two seasons.

Coaching (Colorado, UCLA, Kansas City Chiefs)

--He is one of only nine assistants in the CU program’s history to ever coach for more than a decade. In his 10 years at CU, the Buffs won six bowl games and only suffered two losing seasons (’97, 2000). Since his departure after the 2002 season, Colorado has suffered losing records in four of six seasons (’03, ’06-08).

-- In addition to being an assistant coach on both sides of the ball and special teams (TE's, WR's, DE's, ST's) in his 18 years of college/NFL experience, Embree was also the ASST. HEAD COACH AND PASSING GAME COORDINATOR FOR THREE YEARS AT UCLA (’03-05) under Coach Karl Dorell. In his final season with the Bruins, the team finished with a 10-2 record and the UCLA offense finished 7th nationally in points per game (38.09). He was the passing game coordinator which is considered by many colleges as the co-offensive coordinator these days. Just like Kevin Sumlin was the passing game coordinator at Oklahoma but they just pay you extra by giving you the co-OC title.

--As a college TE's coach, two of Embree’s players won the John Mackey Award; Daniel Graham at CU in 2001 and Marcedes Lewis at UCLA in ’05. Another tight end pupil of his, Christian Fauria, was considered one of the greatest players to ever play at CU before going on to an 11-year career in the NFL.

--While with the Kansas City Chiefs, Embree coached Tony Gonzales for three years. The 12-year veteran TE experienced two of his four 1,000 yard-plus receiving campaigns including the only back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons in his career (1,172 in ’07, 1,058 in ’08).

Recruiting

--Before heading to the NFL as an assistant coach, Embree was known throughout college football as one of the top recruiters in the country. In his time at CU, he either directly recruited or played a major role in recruiting such notable all-Big 8/Big 12/All-American/future NFL players such as Daniel Graham, Tyler Brayton, Andre Gurode, Victor Rogers, Cedric Cormier, Justin Bannon, Mark Fenton, Sean Tufts, Hannibal Navies, Donald Strickland, Damen Wheeler, Rashidi Barnes, and Ben Kelly. At UCLA, one of his prized recruiting coups was NFL pro-bowler Maurice Jones-Drew.

--He has recruited and/or coached over 30 players that have gone on to play in the NFL.

--Jon fully understand that in order to compete at the highest level in the Big 12 and nationally you have to have the top high school athletes in the nation playing on Folsom Field. He is a tireless recruiter and will only hire coaches that understand recruiting is the most important thing to the program’s success. He has a proven track record at two BCS schools of landing some of the best players in the nation and he will immediately strive to increase the talent level at CU to what it used to be in the glory days of the late 80’s, early 90’s.

--With his vast experience on both the college and NFL levels, Jon has formed a large coaching tree that he can draw from. He is a very respected coach on both levels. Jon is the kind of coach that coaches want to work for and he will have no problem assembling a highly experienced staff of coaches and recruiters. I have no doubts he will put together one of the best staffs of recruiters in the nation. Last time Jon was interviewed for the job, he stated that he would be willing to give up part of his salary to attract the best coaches available because he only has one mission and that is to bring the Colorado Buffaloes back to where they belong--the top 25 in college football on a yearly basis. It is not about the money for him. It is about the pride and tradition of the University of Colorado that he was a part of for so much of his life, and still is through his foundation.

Personal and Education

--Jon is the first person in his family to obtain a college degree and preaches the importance of one to all of his former players.

--After leaving CU as a coach, Jon founded/created the Buffs4Life organization to stay close to his Buff roots. The foundation was established to help former CU athletes and their families deal with financial hardships in times of need. Since its’ inception in 2007, Buffs4Life has raised over $140,000 for the cause. Buffs4 Life also supports the Denver Safe House, a women’s shelter in Colorado. During the Holiday season, Buffs4Life distributes toys and goods to women and their children at the shelter. Buffs4Life, a 501 (c) (3) organization also receives generous support from sponsors, including the Anthony H. Kruse Foundation.

Etc.

--His resume is very similar to other coaches who haven’t been offensive or defensive coordinators (although remember he was a passing game coordinator and asst. HC for three years), but are currently having success as head coaches. Pat Fitzgerald (Northwestern), Tim Brewster (Minnesota), Turner Gill (Buffalo), Dabo Swiney (Clemson), and Kevin Sumlin (Houston) are prime examples. The difference between these guys and Jon Embree is that Embree also has NFL experience.

--Embree would be the first African-American head coach at CU in the football program’s near 120-year history.

I prefer a guy who has been a successful head coach. I don't think having not been a coordinator is important. With that said, there's a couple things I really like from the above. The key things a successful head coach has to have:

1. leadership and management ability (this will be a bit of an unknown)
2. Ability to hire good assistants. The DC and OC is crucial My concern here is the college game is evolving and you HAVE to have key guys at each of these slots. IMO, this has been a colossal failure by Hawkins. He's had a questionable DC and newby OC's that have failed miserably.

I am warming to Embree. Love to have EB on staff, but not at OC. No way do I see that he has a chance to succeed early there. Maybe over time but we don't have time.

Wow Liver, are you his agent? I have to admit, I wasn't too keen on Embree as a HC, but that was pretty damn convincing although you nearly lost me with the Dabo Swiney comparison.

Wow Liver, are you his agent? I have to admit, I wasn't too keen on Embree as a HC, but that was pretty damn convincing although you nearly lost me with the Dabo Swiney comparison.

it isn't me-- it is a cut and paste from rivals.

i suspect it is someone close to embree, however. also, i heard that there is some kind of flyer going around the stands and such that some former players put together. i bet this resume is similar to that one...

didn't he bad mouth boulder to some degree when recruiting at ucla?

Not to mention he and EB took some recruits with them when they r-u-n-n-o-f-t to UCLA for what were basically lateral job changes. Maybe it's just sour grapes, but I thought that was pretty low thing to do at the time. Still do.

That could be forgiven (if not overlooked), but still doesn't change the fact that he's just not qualified for the HC job at a Big XII school. OC maybe, but he'd still need a HC with previous OC experience to help him. Is just recruiting enough to win in the Big XII? Ask Hawkins.

I think it makes more sense to have EB as the Running backs coach and Embree as the Tight ends coach. If you want nostalgia, there you have it. The last thing we need to do is take a huge leap of faith with a hire that has no experience getting it done.

Same with Dave Logan. It think he might actually do a great job. But there is zero precedence for a guy going from High School to D-1 and having success that I'm aware of. There's a few that failed though in historic ways.

Art Briles went to Texas Tech as an RB coach for a couple years before being hired as Houston's head coach.

Not to mention he and EB took some recruits with them when they r-u-n-n-o-f-t to UCLA for what were basically lateral job changes. Maybe it's just sour grapes, but I thought that was pretty low thing to do at the time. Still do.

That could be forgiven (if not overlooked), but still doesn't change the fact that he's just not qualified for the HC job at a Big XII school. OC maybe, but he'd still need a HC with previous OC experience to help him. Is just recruiting enough to win in the Big XII? Ask Hawkins.

Were Pat Fitzgerald and Tim Brewster not qualified? And Hawkins doesn't really recruit that well and his good recruits never see the field due to his infatuation with walk-ons. Recruiting solves a lot of woes.

If the buyout is what is holding this whole thing up then someone like EB is the right guy. He would come cheap so that the buyout wouldn't have that much of an affect. If money isn't as big of an issue as most seem to think it is, then I want a name in here who has done something in the past. Shanny, Gruden, the guy from Cincinnati, etc. Paying a ton of money for someone that we aren't familiar with is pointless. And the big thing is to not go more than 3 years on that contract. If he is doing well after year 2, then extend him each year. If he is good and wins then it may cost us, but if he sucks, then we dont have to worry about this damn buyout anymore. Besides, this keeps it fair on all sides and everyone gets what they paid for or worked for.

Wow, quite the endorsement for Embree. I'd definitely like to see him get an interview at the very least. Like some have said I don't love the idea of EB learning OC on the job training. Prefer to see EB coach RBs and be recruiting coordinator or something. No way he leaves Minnesota for that job, though.

Were Pat Fitzgerald and Tim Brewster not qualified? And Hawkins doesn't really recruit that well and his good recruits never see the field due to his infatuation with walk-ons. Recruiting solves a lot of woes.

So you want us to emulate perpetual also-rans like NU and the GG's? If being a good position coach is enough qualification for HC at CU, why not give the job to Cabral?

didn't he bad mouth boulder to some degree when recruiting at ucla?

If he did. he was most likely being honest about the situation that exists within how kids can only get in with certain grades. I do not want CU to recruit idiots but give some marginal kids with talent a chance to prosper and let CU benefit from there talent.

Back