What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

the end of days for the ncaa as a functioning governing body for major college sport

Liver

modded mod
Club Member
Junta Member
the manziel hypocrisy drives it home.

the ncaa can no longer effectively manage or represent the majors. their impotence, dithering, sanctimony, and hypocrisy are on display for the world to see.

they are done. we are watching the last twitching muscle memory of a formerly powerful governing body.

what's next?

i'll make some predictions.

the pac 12, big 12, big 10, sec, acc, notre dame, and the big least will form their own regulatory body.

the new organization will be empowered to negotiate some licensing rights for the major schools, including licensing of player likenesses and names to video games companies.
they will be given strong regulatory powers to deal with rules violations, but the rules book will be simplified and shortened dramatically.
there will be compensation for the players. it will likely be fixed scale, but they will get paid, including a piece of the licensing revenue.
there will be a real playoff system.
the schools will ultimately move to a system where they only play each other, not non-majors.
there will be a solidified national recruiting system put into place.
eventually, the organization will try to pull back the tv rights and ultimately go direct, like the nfl.
there will be a great loosening of the academic reqiurements for players, but the schools will have to guarantee all players free tuition to come back and finish their degrees.
the players will get guaranteed healthcare and other insurance for catastrophic injuries.
the programs that aren't in the major conferences will sue and lose.

I thought it was an agreement between TAM and the NCAA, not a forced suspension by the NCAA

I thought it was an agreement between TAM and the NCAA, not a forced suspension by the NCAA

point being, the ncaa can't enforce anything anymore. auburn perfected the playbook with cam newton. deny everything, regardless of the evidence. admit nothing. self-report nothing. and tell the ncaa to go **** themselves and to prove its allegations. atm followed the plan, the ncaa backed down, and then atm did the window dressing suspension.

this is just episode 1000 in a long running series of failures.

kill the org. let the majors secede and run it like a business.

I'm afraid you are right. The thought that keeps running through my mind is that we're better off with the Devil we know than the one we don't.

I'm afraid you are right. The thought that keeps running through my mind is that we're better off with the Devil we know than the one we don't.

Me too. I don't see us returning to elite in no holds barred semi-pro ball.

Yeah, Liver, that was exactly my first thought when the news popped.

Well stated. This argument puts that much more emphasis on advancing our facilities and funding our AD.

Would obviously be absolute hell in our current state to not face a few non-majors. Even the SEC unanimously loves playing the Nichols States of the world in the thick of the conference schedule.

the end of days for the ncaa as a functioning governing body for major colleg...

Just as Texas loves to be in the Big 12 (a conference it gets to do whatever it wants in) I think the big players in college football are perfectly content with the NCAA.

There is absolutely no reason to leave the NCAA. If the power conferences want to change the rules all they have to do is vote them in.

I can see the NCAA remaining in power, but over time, revamping their policies, procedures, laws, & bylaws similar to what Liver is saying. If they fail to change, their demise is certain.

Back