What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The eyes of Texas are a P.I.T.A

You will never convince me OU really wants to expand with more G5 schools. I definitely fall on the side of a power play and OU bot being a wallflower.

If I am wrong and they do expand to 12, CSU ain't going to be one of the two.

from phone

Links?

Haven't seen anywhere where CSU has a legit chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/100511/big-12-expansion-no-longer-an-if-but-rather-a-when
http://www.landthieves.com/board/sh...lignment-Part-IX-Your-Argument-is-Overstated/
http://chat.virginiatech.sportswar.com/message_board/vtrealignment/

to be clear, my post said "I've now seen CSU mentioned as a XII candidate" not "I've seen it said that CSU has a legit chance". There are posters everywhere convinced that CSU brings the Denver market, but honestly, until I see something different, I'm not convinced there is a Denver TV market for college sports (helluva a pro-sports town out here).

UCF has to be in the top 4 if the XII really does consider expansion (Cincy, BYU and someone I consider a distant choice but won't see coming). P5 size football stadium, P5 size student body, huge alumni base likely to be passionate about football and get excited about alma mater joining a P5, footprint in top recruiting state. Carries stigma/perception of "directional school", "city school" and "commuter school" though. And of course they'd stretch the already geographically challenged conference even further.

Last edited:
UCF has to be in the top 4 if the XII really does consider expansion (Cincy, BYU and someone I consider a distant choice but won't see coming). P5 size football stadium, P5 size student body, huge alumni base likely to be passionate about football and get excited about alma mater joining a P5, footprint in top recruiting state. Carries stigma/perception of "directional school", "city school" and "commuter school" though.

UCF has invested multi-millions to shed that directional/commuter school image. place looks nothing like it did when I went to grad school there in the 90s. A legit P-5 conference would put that place to 11.

If anyone is interested in reading the latest speculative fiction from Chip Brown, he is suggesting that the P5 may be willing to end their game of one upsmanship and look to collectively bargain for the rights to the P5 leagues plus Notre Dame and BYU during the next contract renewal cycle, with a corresponding geographically base realignment. I have no idea how they'd get everyone on board with this plan and I'm assuming this is an exercise in wishful thinking rather than anything based in reality and double verified sources.

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1561434-the-next-big-move-in-realignment

I was particularly amused at his suggested conference breakdowns where he essentially has most the SEC and ACC as we know them getting reshuffled, including splitting several major programs that have played against each other for decades. Yet Texas miraculously ends up in almost their dream division. They'd jettison ISU and the Kansas schools and get basically their most wanted additions of NU, Arky, and the Arizona schools (there is a delusional minority on the Texas boards that are convinced the Arizona schools are a reasonable get for the B12 remnants). I'm surprised he didn't try to throw ND in there too.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in reading the latest speculative fiction from Chip Brown, he is suggesting that the P5 may be willing to end their game of one upsmanship and look to collectively bargain for the rights to the P5 leagues plus Notre Dame and BYU during the next contract renewal cycle, with a corresponding geographically base realignment. I have no idea how they'd get everyone on board with this plan and I'm assuming this is an exercise in wishful thinking rather than anything based in reality and double verified sources.

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1561434-the-next-big-move-in-realignment

I was particularly amused at his suggested conference breakdowns where he essentially has most the SEC and ACC as we know them getting completely reshuffled, including splitting several major programs that have played against each other for decades. Yet Texas miraculously ends up in almost their dream division. They'd jettison ISU and the Kansas schools and get basically their most wanted additions of NU, Arky, and the Arizona schools (there is a delusional minority on the Texas boards that are convinced the Arizona schools are a reasonable get for the B12 remnants). I'm surprised he didn't try to throw ND in there too.

His collective bargaining of the conferences was interesting though. That is kind of the way I see the networks going in that there are no regions so to speak where the conference network is on basic cable but rather they are all part of an extended package. The conference breakdowns were definitely weird. I just think the networks will be more national so no fights with direct tv as we see now.

Basically is the NFML (minor league)

64 franchises, collective bargaining, coast to coast, one network, one pool of money, rotating match ups, and geographic divisions that make little sense. Fun.

I'm betting that UT hubris is so great that they actually believe that having ex conference partners as current members in the three most powerful conferences is valuable to them.

"Of course the PAC-12/B1G/SEC will want us, in addition to how great we objectively are, we have CU/NU/aTm on the inside to advocate for us and tell them how great we are."

But Sacky already said the Pac 12 doesn't want or need to expand, so this has to be false.

Logistically, Texas to the Pac makes sense in terms of tv deals. LHN could become the PACN regional network for Texas very easily. And PACN needs Texas in order to drive revenues to the next level.

Based on the Finebaum & Cowherd speculation, I'd say that the more likely case is that if Oklahoma splits from Oklahoma State that OU probably comes with UT to the Pac-12 with OSU going to the SEC. On academic / graduate research culture, it makes a lot more sense. Plus, the Red River Rivalry is huge. Neither OU nor UT wants to lose that.

A Pac-16 in pod format with a UT-OU would be absolutely huge money. The big question would be who the other 2 teams are. Maybe Kansas from the Big 12 and Nebraska from the B1G (where they don't seem to be happy).

4 Pods for this Pac-16

CA Pod - Cal, Furd, UCLA, USC
NW Pod - UO, OSU, UW, WSU
SW Pod - ASU, UA, OU, UT
MW Pod - CU, KU, NU, UU

That would be pretty damn allsome, imo.

It's going to happen sooner or later, whether you think so or not.

Why?

The supposed inevitability of this cracks me up. Unless something drastically changes, the Pac 12 has absolutely zero incentive to expand. ZERO.

4 Pods for this Pac-16

SW Pod - ASU, UA, OU, UT
MW Pod - CU, KU, NU, UU

No. No it would not be allsome. It would suck. Greatly.

Why?

The supposed inevitability of this cracks me up. Unless something drastically changes, the Pac 12 has absolutely zero incentive to expand. ZERO.

Adding UT, TTU, UO, and OSU WOULD bring more money. That is a fact. Even splitting up the pie 4 more ways, the addition of two of the biggest programs in the country with the kind of following they bring, would add more revenue to everyone in the conference. That is a reason. Money talks loudest. The only thing that kept Larry Scott from stealing them when the SEC poached TAMU and Mizzou was that ridiculous Longhorn Network.

Logistically, Texas to the Pac makes sense in terms of tv deals. LHN could become the PACN regional network for Texas very easily. And PACN needs Texas in order to drive revenues to the next level.

Based on the Finebaum & Cowherd speculation, I'd say that the more likely case is that if Oklahoma splits from Oklahoma State that OU probably comes with UT to the Pac-12 with OSU going to the SEC. On academic / graduate research culture, it makes a lot more sense. Plus, the Red River Rivalry is huge. Neither OU nor UT wants to lose that.

A Pac-16 in pod format with a UT-OU would be absolutely huge money. The big question would be who the other 2 teams are. Maybe Kansas from the Big 12 and Nebraska from the B1G (where they don't seem to be happy).

4 Pods for this Pac-16

SW Pod - ASU, UA, OU, UT
MW Pod - CU, KU, NU, UU

I love the idea of the 4 pod system in a Pac 16. Even better, I believe S2S mentioned it earlier (sorry if it was someone else), but having that be the model for the other 3 conferences as well, and having the winners of each Pod from each conference seeded 1-16 in a 16 team playoff would make for great post season football.

4 Pods for this Pac-16

SW Pod - ASU, UA, OU, UT
MW Pod - CU, KU, NU, UU

To dissolve the Big XII-2 don't you need to have 7 of the teams vote to end it? In this scenario you have 3 going to the PAC, 1 going to the SEC. You would need the B1G to swap NU for Iowa State, and I have a hard time seeing that happen.

That gives you 5 with Bailer, TTech, Kstate, WVU, and TCU still without a home. One of those schools would probably have to go to the SEC along with OSU, which would give you 6.

Then you would need the ACC and B1G to pick through the remains and see who/if they want to add anybody. One of the remaining teams would need a home in order to lock in the votes to get ride of the the Big XII-2.

I have a hard time seeing that playing out.

Adapt or die.

Pac is in serious danger of having the least lucrative conference payouts per member of the P5 conferences as time goes on. Larry Scott's vision doesn't become realized if the Pac doesn't expand into Texas.

Pac is in serious danger of having the least lucrative conference payouts per member of the P5 conferences as time goes on. Larry Scott's vision doesn't become realized if the Pac doesn't expand into Texas.

That is true. Pac also has a really hard time filling stadiums and gaining huge interest in their states. At the end of the day money talks and Larry knows how to maximize profits, but there is not version of expansion that excites me. I couldn't care less about the Texas or the midwest, even if it brings back the Nubs rivalry.

Exactly. How can some people not see the financial ramifications of bringing on 4 more teams, especially if 2 of them are UT and OU?

There is zero chance the Pac 12 will hold its ground and refuse to expand if the SEC and B1G decide to do so.

Back