What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Fresno State game. Win, or Lose?

Will CU beat FSU?

• Total voters
North Dakota State and North Dakota are different...Eh?

Yeah. Who knew, right? Turns out UND is in a town called Grand Forks, while NDSU is in Fargo. Now, when I lived there, I lived in Fargo. There was a big flood, and while Fargo was spared, Grand Forks was nearly completely destroyed.
fire.jpg

Fresno was destroyed when it was founded:

Fresno-Pollution-Cities.jpg

One OOC loss does not destroy a season btw...

In our case it does, I'm afraid. There is no margin for error this year. Embree has stated his goal of getting to a bowl game. Without going into the conference schedule at 3-0, that will be a nearly impossible task.

In our case it does, I'm afraid. There is no margin for error this year. Embree has stated his goal of getting to a bowl game. Without going into the conference schedule at 3-0, that will be a nearly impossible task.

Yup. In the case of CU this year, an OOC loss almost certainly means any hopes of a bowl game are crushed (although they may be a bit optimistic in the first place). Doesn't mean we can't maybe come on strong and still find a way to 5 wins (and thus keep things pointed in the right direction in the win column), but a loss to CSU or Fresno would mean we'd need to win 4 Pac-12 games to reach bowl eligibility, and with the team we've got and Oregon and Stanford on the schedule from the North, that's highly unlikely to put it gently.

Am I wrong? Notice I'm not predicting a loss to Fresno, just the outcome of the season should we lose there. I stand by that. Lose any of the first three games of the year, the season is completely shot. We won't be facing any easier teams than the first three on the schedule.

I just found it funny that you posted the season is shot if we lose an OOC game and then followed it up with a post about the negativity on the board. Gotta admit that's pretty ironic. FWIW, an OOC loss most likely means no bowl game. Does that mean the whole season "is shot"? I don't think so. They have a lot to play for this year. Improving every game. Getting all the RF and Freshmen some valueable playing time. Showing next years recruits that things are on the upswing. Yeah, a bowl game is the goal and one I think they can achieve if things go right, but to say the whole year is over if we lose is a bit over the top. That's like saying losing to Hawaii last year meant the season was over. It didn't help matters that's for sure and the season sucked, but they didn't quit, won two of their last three and finally ended the road losing streak. They had a lot to play for. Now if they lose to CSU or Sac St, then the season is shot. :smile2:

head says "loss", heart says "win"...

there are no gimmes for this team. if we don't catch a few breaks here and there, we could be looking at a worse season than last year, although i believe the team will play better overall than it did last year.

:yeahthat:

I'm staying out of this Poll. Too many unknowns and variables even before the game with cee s uwe.

Will the mods change my vote from L to W? I must have lost my focus on the bus ride over.....

Hello Buffs, Cal guy here, thought I'd check out your board.

This game should be a win. When we played them last year, well before our defense really started clicking [as you guys made a great effort in showing us] Carr really had nothing for us. Maynard dropped 266 on them in his first game. Across the board, you have the athletes to get this done, convincingly. I truly believe this will be a game decided by attitude, if you guys go into this game with the right mindset, done. Lets make sure these Mountain West kids know their place by the end of the season.

This game should be a win. When we played them last year, well before our defense really started clicking [as you guys made a great effort in showing us] Carr really had nothing for us. Maynard dropped 266 on them in his first game. Across the board, you have the athletes to get this done, convincingly. I truly believe this will be a game decided by attitude, if you guys go into this game with the right mindset, done. Lets make sure these Mountain West kids know their place by the end of the season.

I think you guys have a lot more talent than we do and we kinda caught you guys sleeping a bit last year. If this was a home game would be much more confident.

One thing we do have experience with is putting annoying MWC teams back into their place (we're CSU's superbowl every year). This is a big one for our young team, to put it lightly. I agree that we should win, but let's just say our confidence in winning road games is still very much a work in progress (although we finally got over the hump at Utah). Enjoy your season, wish we were facing Cal this year instead of Stanford (albeit for slightly selfish reasons)

I think you guys have a lot more talent than we do and we kinda caught you guys sleeping a bit last year. If this was a home game would be much more confident.

I understand. I still think your talent level is well above theirs. However, I think their biggest advantages will be ,as you mentioned, the home game factor (if you are going, don't bring your kids) and that fsu ALWAYS plays Pac teams with a massive chip. Being surrounded by Pac teams in their own state is all the motivation they need to bring their A game.

Last edited:
One thing we do have experience with is putting annoying MWC teams back into their place (we're CSU's superbowl every year). This is a big one for our young team, to put it lightly. I agree that we should win, but let's just say our confidence in winning road games is still very much a work in progress (although we finally got over the hump at Utah). Enjoy your season, wish we were facing Cal this year instead of Stanford (albeit for slightly selfish reasons)

Actually, this is the best year to play the Furd. By the time you play them again, they will have an experienced QB and quite possibly the best Oline in the country. Oh, and a great defense.

Actually, this is the best year to play the Furd. By the time you play them again, they will have an experienced QB and quite possibly the best Oline in the country. Oh, and a great defense.

There's no beating 'Furd in the cards for us this year, baring a miracle. By the time we play them again, we plan on being back to our winning ways, so hopefully it can be a quality matchup. You're right though, their recruiting is downright scary. For us right now, it's one win and one recruit at a time and building our way back up step by step.

There's no beating 'Furd in the cards for us this year, baring a miracle. By the time we play them again, we plan on being back to our winning ways, so hopefully it can be a quality matchup. You're right though, their recruiting is downright scary. For us right now, it's one win and one recruit at a time and building our way back up step by step.

Oh yeah, no. I wasn't implying a win, more so, less of a beat down.

Im just wondering when the hell Stanford became a power? I get Stanford has great academics, the majority of athletes want pussy, money, beer, and fame. They recruit nationally so all their players are smart enough to get into Stanford, this sounds like the post I read about Texas being the cleanest school in the Big 12 or whatever, huh?? There is a difference between being clean and having enough money to make **** you do wrong disappear. I hope that post I read was just being sarcastic, like our Sarc Champ Duff, cause its laughable.

Im just wondering when the hell Stanford became a power? I get Stanford has great academics, the majority of athletes want pussy, money, beer, and fame. They recruit nationally so all their players are smart enough to get into Stanford, this sounds like the post I read about Texas being the cleanest school in the Big 12 or whatever, huh?? There is a difference between being clean and having enough money to make **** you do wrong disappear. I hope that post I read was just being sarcastic, like our Sarc Champ Duff, cause its laughable.

Well, Furd has been competitive in every sport they field for a very long time, except for FB. After their athletic endowment became what it is today, one of the biggest in the country, it allowed them to focus more energy on football. Furthermore, they have a very unique recruiting market, which they have all but monopolized, the Elite athlete who also happens to be very smart. They are now set up for football success. Next year should be a "down" year at about 8-9 wins. In a couple years they will be BCS good, once again.

Left unsaid about this game is the unfortunate stat that so far we are 0-1 in the following situation (Toledo, 2009):

-Playing on the road at a non-BCS school coached by a 1st year head coach named Tim whose prior job was as a defensive coordinator at a Big 12 South school...

Furthermore, they have a very unique recruiting market, which they have all but monopolized, the Elite athlete who also happens to be very smart.
I liked newkid's first post, and this is another strong contribution. This above is really spot on. Let's say you are very smart and academically talented. CU is your "safe school." Lets say that you are also very talented athletically (male or female, any sport). Stanford may in fact be the best option to develop both your talent in the classroom and on the athletic field/court/pool/etc. Most of the other options require you to compromise on one or the other - academics or athletics. Yes there are niches out there (e.g. if you play hockey you can find an Ivy league school, if you are a distance runner and want to focus on the "space" part of aerospace engineering CU is a good fit), but the general rule is that if you are a good enough athlete to compete at the top of the D1 AQ level in your sport, and you are a good enough student to be legitimately looking at Harvard/Yale/MIT/etc - 'furd may be the only option that doesn't require you to compromise much on either side.

On topic - we better win this damn game. I hate to keep saying the new poster is right, but I agree that this is likely an attitude game. If we have the right attitude, we win. I think this will be the game where we really see how much of the DII rot has been cleaned out.

I liked newkid's first post, and this is another strong contribution. This above is really spot on. Let's say you are very smart and academically talented. CU is your "safe school." Lets say that you are also very talented athletically (male or female, any sport). Stanford may in fact be the best option to develop both your talent in the classroom and on the athletic field/court/pool/etc. Most of the other options require you to compromise on one or the other - academics or athletics. Yes there are niches out there (e.g. if you play hockey you can find an Ivy league school, if you are a distance runner and want to focus on the "space" part of aerospace engineering CU is a good fit), but the general rule is that if you are a good enough athlete to compete at the top of the D1 AQ level in your sport, and you are a good enough student to be legitimately looking at Harvard/Yale/MIT/etc - 'furd may be the only option that doesn't require you to compromise much on either side.

On topic - we better win this damn game. I hate to keep saying the new poster is right, but I agree that this is likely an attitude game. If we have the right attitude, we win. I think this will be the game where we really see how much of the DII rot has been cleaned out.

Cal is also a top notch school.

Back