What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The future of football - modern offense & "portionless" defense

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
This is something you guys are gonna want to read: https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/14/defensive-schemes-rpos-mike-pettine-packers-naia-grand-view

Jay Bateman stunned the college football world in September when his game plan helped Army take then No. 5 Oklahoma to overtime, despite an overwhelming disadvantage in personnel. But to those in the know, Bateman’s prowess as a defensive coordinator was old news. Last offseason a parade of coaches traveled up the Hudson River to study the Black Knights’ tactics.

Even with an overtime session, Bateman's Black Knights defense held Oklahoma to fewer points (28) and yards (355) than any team since Lincoln Riley took charge of the Sooners.

Bateman’s philosophy, like Johansen’s at Grand View, requires the mastery of only a few simple concepts. Those are then folded into the weekly game plan and adjusted after input from players. Film cut-ups are texted to each cadet’s phone on Monday, with the requirement that he reply to Bateman with two unique observations.

The one constant week-to-week: “Everyone is a blitzer,” says Bateman. “A kid is a defensive end—well, now he’s a linebacker, or a strong safety. How does a quarterback declare him? [Their offense will] start blocking guys that aren’t even rushing, and not block guys who are.” From this, Army employs six different blitzes, but Bateman runs them out of dozens of personnel packages, which he says forces offensive coordinators to spend twice the normal time in preparation.

that is a great read. i love the idea of breaking the reads down into groups on defense, allowing them to go really fast as the offense is doing all the movement and shifts. that is some bad ass thinking. i love the "blitz can come from any group" idea too. this **** could work!

Really interesting and innovative, but I would imagine once offenses adjust and find a counter it would be very exploitable

Like the 1977 Atlanta Falcons

Works great for the service academies because of their limitations on player weights

Really interesting and innovative, but I would imagine once offenses adjust and find a counter it would be very exploitable

Works great for the service academies because of their limitations on player weights
What I find interesting is that the obvious counter punch to these high flying offenses and the defenses designed to stop them seems to be to go old school -- be bigger and tougher and just beat the **** out of them.

I was thinking the '84 bears...

A defense that straight up went hard for the QB every down. It took perhaps the best 3 step drop then immediately throw QB to ever play the game to beat them.

Everyone adjusted the next season, but the adjustment took a lot of skill and experience, for which college players lack half the ingredient list.

Back