What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The George King Watch

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member

@Goose -- weren't you going to pull together some advanced stats on King and where he sits as an all-time Buff?

Not advanced stats, but I've got some numbers for King. I did this a while ago for Ski, but unfortunately I don't have as much spare time right now to throw those together (lesson: having small children is a lot of damn work), but I did want to get some notes on where GK falls in CU history. I took King's stats for this season through last night, and then projected that we will have 14 more games this year (11 regular season, 3 post season - either P12 tourney or NIT). It could be less, it could be more, but that seemed like a reasonable number. So if King continues his current statistical averages for the year (14.3 ppg, 8.4 rpg), here is where he would fall on the rankings.

Rebounds
* Career Rebounding: 29th in school history with 507.
* Single Season Rebounding: 17th in school history with 277.
* Career Rebounding For A Guard: 4th in school history behind Roby, Boyce & Higgins
* Single Season Rebounding For A Guard: 1st in school history

Now, the "for a guard" part here is a bit tricky. CU lists him as a guard even though he's really more of a forward. This pops up in the scoring section as well, but because it's what CU classifies him as we'll keep him there. It hurts him in scoring, helps in rebounding. The other confusing thing is that CU lists Donnie Boyce as the highest single season rebounding number for a guard with 173 rebounds. So King is expected to blow that out. That said, in a different point, they have Alec Burks (a guard) with 247 rebounds in a single season. Either way, King should be #1, but I just don't know how much he'll lap the field. I'm assuming the Boyce part is a typo (and a very old one at that). Either way, he should be on top.

Scoring
* Career scoring: 16th in school history with 1,351 (1 point behind Ken Charlton)
* Single Season Scoring: 38th in school history with 471
* Career Scoring For A Guard: 8th in school history

I do have to say that King's single season scoring puts him in a fun group. The six names in front of him are Josh Scott, Ski, Boyce, Roby, XJ and Pat Frink. The six behind him? Morandais, Kenny Price, Chauncey, Bullard, Jim Davis and GK's year last year.

The thing that hurts King through all of this is his freshman year. He only played 148 minutes that season. Fellow freshmen that year played 638 minutes (JHop), 527 minutes (DT) and 193 minutes (an injury filled Fletch). At the time, it would have been considered crazy for Tad to have played GK over those three, but even if he had played 3x the minutes (444), it would have knocked his career numbers up a bit. It would have put him at 11th all time in scoring (just behind Xavier Johnson) and 22nd in rebounding (just behind Wilky Gilmore). With this in mind, I think it's best to compare GK to players that only played 3 years or less at CU.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out. I feel like the rebounding may be tough to keep up (although he is averaging 10 per game over the last 5) and he should be able to get the scoring.

Back