What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Good, Bad and Ugly of The csu Game

Good:
-resiliency when we are down. The best compliment I can pay MM is that his teams never give up.
-some life to the long pass game
-crawley better than Higgins through three quarters
-Bend don't break and defensive adjustments working
-Keeney starting to be a weapon like we heard he would

Bad:
-outmuscled in trenches
-doesn't look like we have superior athletes...but we do.

Ugly:
Coaches(sans Leavitt)just don't seem to have us prepared at the beginning of games or beginning of season.

All this complaining about special teams, and that's what won the game for us. Yes, we had a blocked FG, but we also blocked their attempt in OT. I'm off the "special teams sucks" bandwagon for the time being.

All this complaining about special teams, and that's what won the game for us. Yes, we had a blocked FG, but we also blocked their attempt in OT. I'm off the "special teams sucks" bandwagon for the time being.
Other than the opening kickoff, punts and kick offs were decent, not great. Tedric's kick block was just an awesome play. I'd give ST's a C+. Maybe B-.

Returns looked better with Lee in there. Kickoff and punt teams need to stop giving up so much yardage.

Bad - Sefo missing an open Fields for a long touchdown early in fourth quarter.....gotta make those throws if we have any chance in the PAC....bitch

Bad - Sefo missing an open Fields for a long touchdown early in fourth quarter.....gotta make those throws if we have any chance in the PAC....bitch

If Sefo hits that pass and/or Fields doesn't drop the other one that was in his hands we may have enough of a margin to just put the game away and cruise instead of sweating it out.

CSU had no answer for Shay Fields on a go route. We should have been throwing that all day long. I know it's a low percentage play, but the percentages improve when the opponent can't defend it.

CSU had no answer for Shay Fields on a go route. We should have been throwing that all day long. I know it's a low percentage play, but the percentages improve when the opponent can't defend it.
I thought it was nifty that Sefo hit two out of three on the money.

And that Ross pass. Oh my. The coverage was perfect. I think that ball just kind of accidentally landed in the crook of Ross' arm, but still...

Good: They had plenty of chances to give up and didn't. Sefo found new receivers, and made some nice throws. They beat a team that will be a top three team in the MWC., and showed resilience doing it.

Bad: How can they start that poorly? Coaching, or players? The rest has already been said.

Good:
- Never gave up
- Fought back after being down (would have fought back, but lost in OT last year)

Bad:
- We barely won v. a team with a new quarterback, a new coach, and ONE "star" player who's coming off a sprained ankle. We were gashed by people we've never even hear of.
- 3rd & long. I think the Buffs are literally the worst P5 on 3rd & long over the past 10 years (not sure if there is a stat, but I'll bet it's true).

Ugly:
- Play like that v. Pac-12, we won't win a single game (every time the P12 gets in the Red Zone, they're scoring something).
- Long term, this looks like the makings of another Sparkles - the team is scrappy, tough, plays angry. Lose the first time to CU, but then comes back stronger next time, and that scares me.

Ugly:
Coaches(sans Leavitt)just don't seem to have us prepared at the beginning of games or beginning of season.

I know the only guy more popular than Leavitt right now is the back-up QB, but how do you get to this conclusion when in the first 12 minutes of the game we gave up two scores and 4 of their first 4 drives had them with scoring chances?

I thought it was nifty that Sefo hit two out of three on the money.

And that Ross pass. Oh my. The coverage was perfect. I think that ball just kind of accidentally landed in the crook of Ross' arm, but still...
It reminded me of Spruce's TD catch last year.

I know the only guy more popular than Leavitt right now is the back-up QB, but how do you get to this conclusion when in the first 12 minutes of the game we gave up two scores and 4 of their first 4 drives had them with scoring chances?
I hope it is because we recognize that the scene is better, adjustments are better, turnovers vastly better, and it is with Levitt working with pretty much the same talent as last year. At least adjustments were made and they started stopping the opponents this year, rather than the same problems for all four quarters like the last 10 years.

I hope it is because we recognize that the scene is better, adjustments are better, turnovers vastly better, and it is with Levitt working with pretty much the same talent as last year. At least adjustments were made and they started stopping the opponents this year, rather than the same problems for all four quarters like the last 10 years.

I recognize all of that - however what the poster I quoted said was:

Our defense was getting smoked for the first quarter of that game they were came out flat and were getting beaten everywhere. Had he said something about the adjustments, the way we stepped it up after the missed field goal and play lights out the rest of the way I wouldn't have had a comment. So far Leavitt's in-game adjustments have been great, next level. But as pointed out here is what we are giving up by quarter:

This! Opponent total scores by qtr:
1: 29
2: 17
3: 10
4: 10

Look at that second half - that is coaching. We need to resolve coming out flat on both sides of the ball, but this in-game adjustments and coaching on defense has been spectacular. The concern will be if we come out flat like we have so far against say Oregon we'll be down 21 or 28 before our heads are in it.

Last edited:
Our coaching staff as a whole has shown to be able to make great half time adjustments. Need to come out of the game faster though. A complete game from this team could have us in some winnable fights this season.

Our coaching staff as a whole has shown to be able to make great half time adjustments. Need to come out of the game faster though. A complete game from this team could have us in some winnable fights this season.

Getting the other team to put their second string in last year does not qualify as a half-time adjustment.

Other than the opening kickoff, punts and kick offs were decent, not great. Tedric's kick block was just an awesome play. I'd give ST's a C+. Maybe B-.

I replied to this in another thread, but special teams definitely wasn't anywhere close to "good." they were a lot closer to "suck" than they were to "good":

http://www.allbuffs.com/threads/weekly-fire-neinas-thread-week-3.110053/page-2#post-1860556

Wow.... Apparently you didn't watch the illegal pick on CSUs 4th down conversion.... And more importantly, the review that didn't mark the CSU runner out at the 47 yard line .... Yet instead gave cSU the ball 15 yards closer to the endzone!!!
I definitely watched the 'illegal' pick play. It pissed me off for a second until I realized that those pick plays get run in every college and pro game every weekend multiple times and you almost never see it called. So this crew didn't call or miss a call that any other crew would have done differently there. The reason we focused on it at the time is it was a critical moment in the game. The peeps you should be upset with there aren't the refs...instead be upset with the coaches and players for not having figured out that this happens all the time and doing something to prevent it (Bump and run coverage throws the timing off, oh and so does switching) or at the NCAA for not either killing the rule or demanding 100% enforcement...which we know doesn't work, I mean look at the NFL last year with pass interference).

When we get into PAC play, fewer teams will surprise us with their schemes at the beginning of games. They'll be more likely to play the schemes they usually play and we'll be more prepared and it will be less necessary to adjust . . . for what it's worth.

Returns looked better with Lee in there. Kickoff and punt teams need to stop giving up so much yardage.
Kickoff team has been solid. CSU had one good return, but that's the only time a team has crossed the 30 on us via a kickoff return. We've kept teams short of the 25 seven out of ten times a kickoff didn't result in a touchback.

It's quite a bit different actually.

Up front, Solis, Jackson and Carrell are now the 3 mainstays along with McCartney up front. Solis was a backup last year and Jackson and Carrell were not here.

He's running a freshman at ILB in Gamboa and it showed in that game. He had some ups and downs for sure.

The adjustments and turnover focus is better for sure.

Good:
Ugly:

Not sure why Leavitt gets the free pass for the preparedness. Outside of the first drive CSU looked pretty good on offense in the first few drives (two touchdowns, a turnover on downs on our 24 that could have been a field goal, and a missed field goal).

The good: CU won a close game, CSU lost, Sefo made some good deep throws, Diego, and we never give up
The bad: Injuries (luckily we have Nicholls St. coming up for a rest week)
The ugly: Another slow start. If we want to upset some Pac 12 teams it would help to not get in a hole early.

Back