What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

the lack of goodwill and some other comments...

Liver

modded mod
Club Member
Junta Member
one thing is clear... hawkins' safety net is totally gone. there is absolutely no goodwill built up in the program to allow him any benefit of the doubt. every decision the staff makes is criticized heavily.

the media, the fans, the students, the boosters, and, of course, the innerwebs scum, are all ready to jump down hawkins' throat no matter what he decides.

i've seen this happen before in business. the recipe is simple:

1. bring in a new guy.
2. new guy sets high expectations.
3. new guy repeatedly promises to hit the high expectations.
4. new guy fails to hit even a baseline level.
5. new guy gets defensive and starts blame-casting and offering excuses.
6. every move by new guy is criticized and analyzed. new guy has been rendered totally ineffective.
7. absent a hail mary, new guy moves on, voluntarily or involuntarily.

it is a classic case of over-promising and under-delivering. it leads to a lot of anger, which is why this board and others have been so heated lately.

there is only way out for this staff now-- they've got to surprise people in a big way and start to exceed expectations. that means they need to start winning. a 5-2 finish to this year would be the minimum goal for me at this point.

another thing to beware is that, as results continue to disappoint, expectations tend to go down too.

if you had told me, or virtually any other die-hard fan of the program, on the day that hawkins was hired, that he would not have a winning season in 4 years (well, 3 and counting now) and he would still have a job, i don't think many would have believed it possible.

a lot of folks are skipping and jumping because the team looked better than earlier in the year, but they still lost by 4 scores to texas. that's not a metric of success.

on the other hand, not every single decision they make is wrong. the knee-jerk reaction at this point (with the total lack of remaining goodwill) is to presume they are ****ing up. but, that obviously will not prove to be true either.

it is an ugly time to be a Buff fan... maybe brighter days ahead? a win over ku would start the long and difficult process of building up some confidence in this staff again. their margin for error is gone.

Hawkins has made some missteps, that's putting it kindly, but I am one fan who will always be thankful that he took the program in the right direction. Our reputation was horrible when he took over. He had a lot of cleaning up to do. He did that, and now he's trying to build a football program out of what's left and what he has brought in.

I am not ready to give up on the man. If we pull out a decent rest of the season, or even if I just see the continued improvement, I'll support his efforts.

Maybe I wouldn't have made all the decisions he did, but I sure wouldn't have even known how to start plugging all the little leaks in the dam either. The reservoir is half full, it we don't spring any new holes, we just might fill it one day.

Hawkins has made some missteps, that's putting it kindly, but I am one fan who will always be thankful that he took the program in the right direction. Our reputation was horrible when he took over. He had a lot of cleaning up to do. He did that, and now he's trying to build a football program out of what's left and what he has brought in.

Really our reputation was bad or was it the media portrayal of our reputation?

Really our reputation was bad or was it the media portrayal of our reputation?

As a fan and alumni, one whose parents also attended CU, I was concerned at one time about sending my kids to CU.

That was the reputation in my world. Whether I got it from the media or other sources, I wasn't sure it was a good place, a place where I felt confident for them. It wasn't any one thing, just an overall uneasy feeling that if I sent my kids to Boulder, things would go badly for them.

The media portrayal of our reputation is the reputation. When you are trying to recruit california and the only thing you hear about Colorado in California is that the team is full of rapists, your reputation with the recruits suffers.

it is an ugly time to be a Buff fan... maybe brighter days ahead? a win over ku would start the long and difficult process of building up some confidence in this staff again. their margin for error is gone.

not with me. one can not be into thier 4th year as a coach, 5th game into the season with a 1-4 record and have one win over KU instill any confidence in me as to the potential success of this coaching staff.

i was happy with how CU played (for the most part) in texas. but, here is my question. where was that earlier this year? this kind of nonsense has gone on far too long. had CU beaten texas, i would still have the same feeling.

how in the world can CU go into Austin and play like they did given the CSU/Toledo and WVU games? they should have been doing that from week one.

when i was hopeful of a 7 or 8 win season, i was expecting a performance from CU like we saw in Austin. not a win but they were definitly competitive and looked damn good at times.

as you said, this staff has burned any and all bridges. im not willing to wait until the 5th game every year for the real CU football team to finally show up anymore.

i hope MB can find a way to make a change.

Last weekend's Texas game was my measuring stick for Hawk.

Had he pulled off the upset in that environment, he'd have won my unwaivering support.

Had Texas shut out CU or otherwise beaten the Buffs down like last season's Mizzou game, it would have signalled that the team had given up. And when the team gives up on the coach, it's time to go.

Hawkins was in the middle of that bell curve. It's a mixed bag. His team lead at half, but was ultimately dismantled. At worse, the players have not given up on each other. At best, the coaches maintain control of the locker room.

Hawk has earned a stay of termination for now. He has another week to add to his body of work. A 5-2 record or better from here on out would buy more time in my book.

Absent that, Liver is right. My patience has run out.

But I'm no longer interested in his quotes. Dan Hawkins speaks through the product that he puts on the field.

If Dan Hawkins had a Frost/Nixon type interview where he spoke candidly and with humility, I'd be eager to listen. I'd like to hear a frank assessment of the QB decission. I'd like to see accountability for starting flat against CSU. I'd like to hear appologies for showing poor judgement for when he lashed out at the media. I'd like a retraction for his sweeping generalization about Internet scum. Above all, I'd like to watch CU play quality football for four quarters and in all phases of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am not ready to give up on the man. If we pull out a decent rest of the season, or even if I just see the continued improvement, I'll support his efforts.

Maybe I wouldn't have made all the decisions he did, but I sure wouldn't have even known how to start plugging all the little leaks in the dam either. The reservoir is half full, it we don't spring any new holes, we just might fill it one day.

I must just be totally nieve here but what I remember was 4 Big 12 North titles in 5 years and bowl games every year. Ikeep hearing about how he has "turned everything around" but what exactly has to he done that is so great? Seems to me it is about winning and losing and we lose, and lose bad week in and week out. WTF do I care what the media thinks of CU, they are mostly left wing idiots who hate the program no matter what it does.

Hawk in my mind has done next to nothing for the program if he isn't WINNINg FOOTBALL GAMES. He is a football coach that is his job.

Sorry for ranting here but I am so sick of losing and losing even when we has such a well regarded university still sucks! I say bring back Barnett and give me 7-5 records every year, at this point I would give anything for that!

I understand Hawkins took a job at CU following all the bad media about CU, made some changes for the better.....but ****, 14 - 28 into your 4th yr as head coach. He is starting to make things worse, but in a different way now...

As a fan and alumni, one whose parents also attended CU, I was concerned at one time about sending my kids to CU.

That was the reputation in my world. Whether I got it from the media or other sources, I wasn't sure it was a good place, a place where I felt confident for them. It wasn't any one thing, just an overall uneasy feeling that if I sent my kids to Boulder, things would go badly for them.

Sorry for being harsh, but you should know better.

If you couldn't see through the smokescreen of rape allegations that were never proven...well...then send your kids somewhere else...but don't blame CU or GB or the football program...blame Boulder and the crazies that inhabit that beautiful piece of real estate!

The media portrayal of our reputation is the reputation. When you are trying to recruit california and the only thing you hear about Colorado in California is that the team is full of rapists, your reputation with the recruits suffers.

Is that just a CU thing or does the media influence everything they so called report on? Think about it next time you want to call me a whack when I point out how everything your family before you worked for is being stolen or destroyed.

For those who know what college life is like nothing happened in Boulder that wasn't happening at every other college campus in the USA. Every media hack that piled on knows that to be a fact. I would say the medias biggest bullseye is Boulder's attitude and treatment of minorities.

Back