What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Legend of Colinski

The last few recruiting cycles (2008 & 09) have been disappointing and I've be spending most of my time commenting on and pondering the Broncos. I do come back for important events (such as the coaching change or switching conferences) and around NLOI day but my postings here have become rare lately.

It's going to be a lot more exciting to follow recruiting during the next cycle. The staff's brief recruiting period demonstrated an astonishing ability to sway recruits and that can only get better with a full recruiting period and a larger number of scholarships to offer.

Additionally, my expectation is that that recruits will view us differently now that we're a Pac-12 team. It's a hard idea to explain but part of the decision to attend CU is based on our conference. The issue of incongruent academic standards has been raised here many times but that incongruence or poor fit extended to other areas. We were a Pac-10 type of school competing -- with all due respect -- in a farm school conference. In the best of times, we did quite well. But in the worst of times, we were offering Pâté de foie gras to athletes who were often looking for a meat and potatoes environment.

I'm also intrigued by the change of fortunes at UCLA and USC. Neuheisel's ship is sinking and USC has to pay the piper eventually. Both developments put us in a good position to further penetrate the mammoth Southern California recruiting market. We've always done well in Cal but not with the top recruits, who didn't view us as a true alternative to Pac-10 schools. We can now offer prospects from Cal the opportunity to return and play in front of their friends and family on a yearly basis. Perhaps more importantly, we can now offer recruits the chance to appear on TV for those recruit's friends and family -- but the real advantage is in the amount of exposure we'll be receiving on the Pac-12 TV network. The advertising we'll receive will enable a lot of recruiting opportunities that weren't available previously.

Besides SoCal, there are recruiting areas that are producing prospects that wouldn't immediately occur to people because they lack a large population base. It's obvious that Hawaii has produced a number of recruits, both over time and quite recently, but areas such as Nevada and Utah shouldn't be overlooked. It's not a question of drawing a far greater number of recruits but of being a reasonable alternative for a few, especially important ones. Arizona has been a relative emphasis lately and will be even moreso. Arizona is a surprisingly talent rich region and has the population to provide numbers. Washington also has a larger population (than Colorado) and I expect that we'll eventually appeal to athletes from that area because we offer an area that can compete with the Pacific Northwest in terms of scenic beauty.

I guess that the best way of expressing the current scenario is that, amazingly, there were prospects who were willing to spend four years in Lincoln rather than in Boulder. Have you ever been to Lincoln? With all due respect, anyone willing to live in Lincoln is operating on a different desideratum than I would. My guess is that future recruits will likewise have a different menu of choices and orientation to their preferences. We have advantages that should appeal to many recruits, just as they have in the past, but there are both better athletes and a far greater number of them who will seriously consider us now.

The last few recruiting cycles (2008 & 09) have been disappointing and I've be spending most of my time commenting on and pondering the Broncos. I do come back for important events (such as the coaching change or switching conferences) and around NLOI day but my postings here have become rare lately.

It's going to be a lot more exciting to follow recruiting during the next cycle. The staff's brief recruiting period demonstrated an astonishing ability to sway recruits and that can only get better with a full recruiting period and a larger number of scholarships to offer.

Additionally, my expectation is that that recruits will view us differently now that we're a Pac-12 team. It's a hard idea to explain but part of the decision to attend CU is based on our conference. The issue of incongruent academic standards has been raised here many times but that incongruence or poor fit extended to other areas. We were a Pac-10 type of school competing -- with all due respect -- in a farm school conference. In the best of times, we did quite well. But in the worst of times, we were offering Pt de foie gras to athletes who were often looking for a meat and potatoes environment.

I'm also intrigued by the change of fortunes at UCLA and USC. Neuheisel's ship is sinking and USC has to pay the piper eventually. Both developments put us in a good position to further penetrate the mammoth Southern California recruiting market. We've always done well in Cal but not with the top recruits, who didn't view us as a true alternative to Pac-10 schools. We can now offer prospects from Cal the opportunity to return and play in front of their friends and family on a yearly basis. Perhaps more importantly, we can now offer recruits the chance to appear on TV for those recruit's friends and family -- but the real advantage is in the amount of exposure we'll be receiving on the Pac-12 TV network. The advertising we'll receive will enable a lot of recruiting opportunities that weren't available previously.

Besides SoCal, there are recruiting areas that are producing prospects that wouldn't immediately occur to people because they lack a large population base. It's obvious that Hawaii has produced a number of recruits, both over time and quite recently, but areas such as Nevada and Utah shouldn't be overlooked. It's not a question of drawing a far greater number of recruits but of being a reasonable alternative for a few, especially important ones. Arizona has been a relative emphasis lately and will be even moreso. Arizona is a surprisingly talent rich region and has the population to provide numbers. Washington also has a larger population (than Colorado) and I expect that we'll eventually appeal to athletes from that area because we offer an area that can compete with the Pacific Northwest in terms of scenic beauty.

I guess that the best way of expressing the current scenario is that, amazingly, there were prospects who were willing to spend four years in Lincoln rather than in Boulder. Have you ever been to Lincoln? With all due respect, anyone willing to live in Lincoln is operating on a different desideratum than I would. My guess is that future recruits will likewise have a different menu of choices and orientation to their preferences. We have advantages that should appeal to many recruits, just as they have in the past, but there are both better athletes and a far greater number of them who will seriously consider us now.

You could have just said "I'm excited at all the Jumbos we've already signed."

:wtf: does desideratum mean? First time an allbuffer has totally stumped me with a word I have never seen before in my life. I like this guy :lol:

:wtf: does desideratum mean? First time an allbuffer has totally stumped me with a word I have never seen before in my life. I like this guy :lol:

I think it means that one has a desire for rectums. But just on the side, not all the time.

Desideratum: Something desired as a necessity

I'll try to avoid Fusker bashing but it's hard for me to believe that there are people who actually want to live in a place like Nebraska. And I expect that many of the prospects we'll be recruiting will have the same reaction that I had when I first passed through Nebraska. Why does someone want to go to school there? Well, it aint the scenery. And it probably aint the academics, although one can probably still get a quality education there, as long as you weren't that interested in school in the first place.

I'm spoiled, I've always had nature at my doorstep. My conjecture was that many of the recruits are going to be coming from areas that are a lot more scenic than the land of corn. It's hard to appreciate the reaction that non-Cornlings have when seeing Nebraska for the first time if that's all you know. It's no accident that CU has appealed to Californians over time. What has changed is the decisional criteria for recruits in the Pac-12 region. We're now more than an interesting alternative that appealed to a (relatively) few. That boost in appeal should pay recruiting dividends in the near future.

You could have just said "I'm excited at all the Jumbos we've already signed."

I've been more interested in the Mini-Me lately. They're the short RBs in the Maurice Jones-Drew mold. And we seem to be focusing on them here lately, too. It's all about the changes pro ball that have changed the passing game, which in turn changed the running game.

Back