What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Mayor's Draft stock?

Miami has the best player on the planet combined with a top 5 and top 15 player. Even with all this, no one wanted to call Miami winning the championship the past two years because of how horribly constructed that line-up is. That's like the definition of the "exception, not the rule," statement.

Someone said the same thing almost verbatim last year about Missouri and then they got bounced by Norfolk St in the first round. You can get by with the guards gimmick for a while but eventually you have to an inside-out game.

I'm just pointing out that i think your "position" analysis is dated. The way the future is going is hybrid players with freak athletic abilities. It will be interesting to see how this trend in basketball plays out. Miami and a lot of NBA teams are abandoning that thinking to become more athletic and change the game. San Antonio, the Lakers and Memphis are trying to go the traditional route. I'm not saying one way or the other is wrong or right, in fact Memphis really intrigues me because they have an identity. They are going to pound you in the post, and if you want to stop them, you better stop Zbo and Gasol.

I'm just pointing out that i think your "position" analysis is dated. The way the future is going is hybrid players with freak athletic abilities. It will be interesting to see how this trend in basketball plays out. Miami and a lot of NBA teams are abandoning that thinking to become more athletic and change the game. San Antonio, the Lakers and Memphis are trying to go the traditional route. I'm not saying one way or the other is wrong or right, in fact Memphis really intrigues me because they have an identity. They are going to pound you in the post, and if you want to stop them, you better stop Zbo and Gasol.

Exactly, how many true back to the basket centers are in the NBA or in college basketball these days? The inside out game is nearly dead in basketball, it just doesn't happen anymore, very few teams run their offense through the post.

That being said, I would love it if CU would run the ball through Scott in the post a lot more than they do.

Teams that can play back-to-the-basket from the post win, though. It's just that most teams can't do it effectively.

Regarding Spencer, I think we get 1 more year from him. Big PGs have long NBA careers but generally start slowly. It doesn't hurt his draft stock at all to stay 3 or 4 years. He's built to play in the League until his late 30s.

My suspicions of him being a beast this year were correct. Obviously the best player on the team, no question. I think my fears of NBA draft this year were a little much. I think we get one more out of him and he will blow the **** up next year. Absolute domination and one of the best in the country. Unstoppable.

Well lack of elite big men is a completely different argument. Name a successful team that utilizes tweeners and doesn't have set positions.

Chicago, Boston, Indiana, Philly, Dallas, OKC, SA, Memphis, Houston, Utah all have centers and PFs who anchor the paint, grab rebounds, and score efficiently. People said these same things about Beasley, Anthony Randolph, Derrick Williams and then are surprised when they don't pan out. It's just not how basketball is meant to be played. Like the wildcat, you can gimmick some wins, but eventually you have to be able to pass the ball (rebound, score from inside the 3 pt line, etc.)

Chicago flourishes with non traditional big guys. They've been at their best without Boozer on the floor the past couple years, guys like Deng, Taj Gibson and Noah. Boston has the guy who broke the barriers on lack of positions with Garnett. Philly has played well this year and Bynum hasn't played a game. OKC is far better when Perkins isn't on the floor, he stinks, they have a guy who isn't really a PG playing the "point" in Westbrook, and a guy who doesn't really have a position in Durant. He's a shooting guard in a body that would never be considered an NBA body even in the 90s. I already pointed out San Antonio and Memphis play traditionally. The wave of the future is non positioned athletes.

Classic tweeners are Kenneth Faried and Russell Westbrook. and Dennis Rodman who Dre reminds me of.

Also Dinwidddie is no tweener. He's a point guard that can guard the 2 because of his size. Also, someone posted issues about his lateral quickness. This isn't true because he can obviously lock down other/smaller guards. Dinwiddie is going lottery.

All of those guys have a position though. Durant is a scoring forward. Just because he is skinny doesn't mean he doesn't fit the role. Just like Dirk, he's able to score and defend players at his position and while they don't play traditional basketball, they have other players around them to help account for that. Westbrook is torpedoing that team because he's a SG being asked to run the offense. They should have kept Harden instead. Boozer sucks, Deng is a SF, and Noah/Garnett are the same player. Hard working, rebounding freaks who anchor the defense. With that said, there's a reason KG never won a ring until he teamed up with two all stars, the guy was notorious for disappearing acts in Minnesota because he's never had a fluid offensive game like Duncan did. Philly and Chicago still have the ability to score and defend in the post. It's just vital to winning basketball.

Tweeners suck. The D-league is full of them because there will never be a short supply of guys who can shoot but do nothing else. Faried works extremely hard and defends well, but there is a reason Bynum/Gasol (also Memphis tore us up last year) torched us in the playoffs. We don't have a true PF and get abused in the paint.

Last edited:
Also Dinwidddie is no tweener. He's a point guard that can guard the 2 because of his size. Also, someone posted issues about his lateral quickness. This isn't true because he can obviously lock down other/smaller guards. Dinwiddie is going lottery.

We haven't really seen Dinwiddie in a true point role though. That's in large part because Tad's offense doesn't require it and also because he and Ski split the ball handling duties. Drafting him as a PG right now is something of a leap of faith. And I think Snow is right- Spencer doesn't have the elite lateral quickness and hops the league wants. He's still a really good athlete, and I think he has a good future, but I can also see where NBA scouts would pick him apart a little bit. In the end that's probably good for us though, since it could/should mean he sticks around Boulder another year before he gets paid.

Back