What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Mayor's Journey To Election Day

Honestly, taking Dinwiddie would be a huge risk for a GM. I don't see anyway he can sneak into the 1st round with his injury.

He isn't a Nerleans Noel type talent. I could see a team taking him in the 2nd round and let him rehab for a year, but that's best case scenario IMO.

You can't compare Dre and him because they are two completely different players, two completely different drafts, and one player was fully healthy and one player is not.
I wasn't comparing him to Dre, what I was trying to get at is no one saw him as a first round talent. Apparently, he was a higher second round projection than I remembered. All it takes is one.

What I think I know:

- Spencer is hearing a lot of recommendations that he would be best served by another year of college ball
- Spencer is absolutely talented and athletic enough to warrant a 1st round pick, but it isn't shaking out that way with the deep draft & injury concerns

What I know I know:

- Spencer will be getting much better information on his draft prospects than any of us
- Spencer, if he decides to return, will have the type of team in place that could lead to a history-making season of CU basketball

What I think I know:

- Spencer is hearing a lot of recommendations that he would be best served by another year of college ball
- Spencer is absolutely talented and athletic enough to warrant a 1st round pick, but it isn't shaking out that way with the deep draft & injury concerns

What I know I know:

- Spencer will be getting much better information on his draft prospects than any of us
- Spencer, if he decides to return, will have the type of team in place that could lead to a history-making season of CU basketball, again

fify

There are still situations that haven't allowed the entire picture to play out yet

How many of Kentucky's players declare? If 6, 7 or even 8 enter the draft...that is a factor

Parker and Embid haven't made their official declarations yet

Kaminsky from Wisconsin is another question mark...people were comparing him to a Dirk Nowitzki-type (major reach)

I saw the thing about scouts saying they think Jabari won't enter the draft, I find that hard to believe.

There are still situations that haven't allowed the entire picture to play out yet

How many of Kentucky's players declare? If 6, 7 or even 8 enter the draft...that is a factor

Parker and Embid haven't made their official declarations yet

Kaminsky from Wisconsin is another question mark...people were comparing him to a Dirk Nowitzki-type (major reach)

Kaminsky should go, his stock will never be higher.

Nik is right, but I will say this and I will stand by it. Unless Jerry Jones buys an NBA team next week and declares himself a talent expert like he does with his clown show NFL team. Spencer Dinwiddie will not be selected before pick 50, write it down and I hope all of you can burn me down for being wrong. I wouldn't count on it though.

Nik is right, but I will say this and I will stand by it. Unless Jerry Jones buys an NBA team next week and declares himself a talent expert like he does with his clown show NFL team. Spencer Dinwiddie will not be selected before pick 50, write it down and I hope all of you can burn me down for being wrong. I wouldn't count on it though.

1st round draft picks are all slotted as far as their salaries are concerned. How are 2nd round draft picks salaries structured?

1st round draft picks are all slotted as far as their salaries are concerned. How are 2nd round draft picks salaries structured?

It really doesn't matter, no second round contracts are guaranteed, and camp is not part of the contract. Camp is the $1500 week (guess) and that includes vets. The Contract is if you make the team. If your projected a 2, they will tell you to go back to school. Look at Quincy Miller with the Nuggets from Baylor he was projected in the late teens, and drafted in the second, its been D League, or end of the Nuggets bench. Q Miller was a top 10 pick if he goes back and plays well, now because of draft position he is an after thought. guaranteed money is the squeaky wheel, it gets the grease.

It really doesn't matter, no second round contracts are guaranteed, and camp is not part of the contract. Camp is the $1500 week (guess) and that includes vets. The Contract is if you make the team. If your projected a 2, they will tell you to go back to school. Look at Quincy Miller with the Nuggets from Baylor he was projected in the late teens, and drafted in the second, its been D League, or end of the Nuggets bench. Q Miller was a top 10 pick if he goes back and plays well, now because of draft position he is an after thought. guaranteed money is the squeaky wheel, it gets the grease.

Bolded is false. You're seeing teams at the top of the second round give guaranteed contracts out at times.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/s...-ledo-and-exploiting-the-cbas-inefficiencies/

But the difference is that first round picks get guaranteed contracts no matter what, that's not a certainty if you get drafted in the second round. So I'd say there's still a major difference between the first/second round.

That's fine, but too many people are saying that there aren't any guaranteed contracts in the 2nd round and it's false. The misinformation people are spreading right now is getting stupid.

That's fine, but too many people are saying that there aren't any guaranteed contracts in the 2nd round and it's false. The misinformation people are spreading right now is getting stupid.
Just way too many stupid people out there.

So many factors yet to be resolved. How many players from other countries will make themselves available or remain in the draft? How many US collegiate underclassmen will declare? What draft grade will he receive? wow.

I just pray he gets good info and makes the right decision, whatever that may be.

Perhaps I worded this wrong ? there is no requirement to give a 2nd round pick a guaranty, 1's are all guaranteed per the CBA. Now to the reality, why would you add guaranteed money to a salary cap for a player you don't have to when many of the group is sent to the D League, where you pay pennies on the dollar and retain rights? Would those individuals be the "Stupid" that were mentioned ? because that is the way the GM of the Cavs becomes the regional scout for the Bobcats.

Last edited:
Go on the record where will he go, because many of you seem convinced he is gone and by some miracle is going to be selected in the first round, as I said I hope I am wrong but that isn't happening. He has less chance to go in the 1st then Paul Richardson which we debated heavily, and now its looking more and more as the weeks go by that PRich is a 3rd at best. I am on the record, he should stay in school, if he leaves he is taken late in the second (50 or lower) if he is selected.

Perhaps I worded this wrong, there is no requirement to give a 2nd round pick a guaranty, 1's are all guaranteed per the CBA. Now to the reality, why would you add guaranteed money to a salary cap for a player you don't have to when many of the group is sent to the D League, where you pay pennies on the dollar and retain rights? Would those individuals be the "Stupid" that were mentioned ? because that is the way the GM of the Cavs becomes the regional scout for the Bobcats.

Or you could read the article I posted and see that it's usually the smarter GM's who are willing to give guarantees. Usually it's because they know they got a good player (the main example they use is Chandler Parsons) and they know they can lock him down for cheap for a longer period of time. The one thing the agent has to work with is guaranteed money. If you can get someone like Parsons signed for less than a million a year for 3 years, you have no problem guaranteeing it.

The evolution of whether the Mayor might stay another year reminds me of off-season optimism about whether the Buffs (football) are going to be good next year. Lots of repeated rationalizing that actually builds false hope over time despite common sense.

He's going into the draft.
The Buffs (football) are not going to be good next year.

Last edited:
Or you could read the article I posted and see that it's usually the smarter GM's who are willing to give guarantees. Usually it's because they know they got a good player (the main example they use is Chandler Parsons) and they know they can lock him down for cheap for a longer period of time. The one thing the agent has to work with is guaranteed money. If you can get someone like Parsons signed for less than a million a year for 3 years, you have no problem guaranteeing it.

Your talking as if this is the norm, it is not. Tell me straight up you believe this would happen with Dinwiddie, when he won't even play in the Vegas Summer League, will have ZERO leverage and I won't say another word, I will just wait and watch.
I am not saying stay for selfish "Were better with him" goose. I am saying it because where he will be drafted, there is over a 50/50 chance he is cut in camp.

Your talking as if this is the norm, it is not. Tell me straight up you believe this would happen with Dinwiddie, when he won't even play in the Vegas Summer League, will have ZERO leverage and I won't say another word, I will just wait and watch.
I am not saying stay for selfish "Were better with him" goose. I am saying it because where he will be drafted, there is over a 50/50 chance he is cut in camp.
Over 50/50 chance he gets cut in camp by the team that drafted him knowing he probably would be limited in camp?

What the **** is wrong with you?:

One of the better teams would absolutely take him in my opinion...the Spurs, Thunder, Heat, Pacers would go out and grab a guy that had a first round grade before the injury in a heartbeat.

One of the better teams would absolutely take him in my opinion...the Spurs, Thunder, Heat, Pacers would go out and grab a guy that had a first round grade before the injury in a heartbeat.

The Heat and Spurs are the only 2 teams on your list that I could see spending a 1st round pick on him. Would depend who else is on the board. And also what happens with the Heat's roster (lot of players have the option to opt out). Would think the Spurs would look to take a power forward if Duncan retires although it wouldn't be out of the question that they could just take the best player on the board. The Pacers don't have a 1st round pick.

Where would Dinwiddie get minutes on the Thunder with Reggie Jackson and Russell Westbrook on the roster? Would be a cool story with Dre and all, but doesn't seem very likely.

Go on the record where will he go, because many of you seem convinced he is gone and by some miracle is going to be selected in the first round, as I said I hope I am wrong but that isn't happening. He has less chance to go in the 1st then Paul Richardson which we debated heavily, and now its looking more and more as the weeks go by that PRich is a 3rd at best. I am on the record, he should stay in school, if he leaves he is taken late in the second (50 or lower) if he is selected.

Nobody really knows. The Bulls supposedly really liked him before. Don't know if that is still the case now or not. Hard to really see them take him at #19, but maybe they move down and grab him in the late 20's. I imagine there are going to be a couple teams that have him on their board in the 1st round. But even if that is the case, they might have other players that they are higher on that fall to them.

I definitely think the majority of GM's will not have him on their first round board. But it just takes 1 or 2 teams that feel otherwise.

Andre wasnt a second round pick according to the internets.

3rd at best for Prich? No

Over 50/50 chance he gets cut in camp by the team that drafted him knowing he probably would be limited in camp?

What the **** is wrong with you?:

If he goes in the 2nd round there's a decent chance he won't make that team's active roster. Just look at the 1st pick of the 2nd round in the 2013 draft, Allen Crabbe - who was drafted by Cleveland, then traded to Portland, and he has played in 14 games all season - with the vast majority of his time spent assigned to the D-league. He's signed to Cleveland for 2 years, making $800,000 per year.

Grant Jerrett - selected #40 overall - was cut before summer camp ended. He's playing in the D-league.

Pierre Jackson - selected #42 overall - also cut before summer camp. Played out the past year overseas.

Of the 30 players selected in the 2nd round of the 2013 NBA draft - 15 are not on NBA active rosters right now. Most are playing overseas. That doesn't necessarily mean they will never play in the NBA. It's not uncommon for teams to select a player, let them go play elsewhere, keep their rights for a year, and decide what to do with them afterwards.

The Heat and Spurs are the only 2 teams on your list that I could see spending a 1st round pick on him. Would depend who else is on the board. And also what happens with the Heat's roster (lot of players have the option to opt out). Would think the Spurs would look to take a power forward if Duncan retires although it wouldn't be out of the question that they could just take the best player on the board. The Pacers don't have a 1st round pick.

Where would Dinwiddie get minutes on the Thunder with Reggie Jackson and Russell Westbrook on the roster? Would be a cool story with Dre and all, but doesn't seem very likely.

The Thunder has played all of 2013/2014 with 3 point guards on the roster. Westbrook / Jackson / Fisher. Fisher is retiring. I could see the Thunder taking a shot at Dinwiddie with a late round pick. He is a great free throw shooter and has good size. He would have the 2014/2015 season to work on his shot in the D-league. The Thunder is going to have to decide what to do with Reggie Jackson - his contract is up after the 2014/2015 season. He may have played himself into a contract the Thunder can't afford.

Spencer should come back for his senior year. Prove that he is fully healed up. He is a first rounder if healthy, 6'6 point guards are valuable. From a financial point of view, the best move is to come back. Because 2nd round draft picks contracts are not guaranteed. He will most likely be a 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft with the health issues.

'

Like I said I will stand by what I said, on both Dinwiddie and Richardson. Both opinions come from a lot of research and grades, think about what your saying, 10 mock drafts I have looked at several times in Dinwiddie's case over a span of 3 months. His name finally appeared the first time in 2 this last week, the highest of the 2 was #54 to the Nuggets. Not good

He has a lot of options other than the NBA or returning. I'm saying he goes.

Back