What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The media I wish Colorado had

I'm not too aware of the Rapids, I know Seattle has had gotten some good crowds. WNBA ratings are better than MLS ratings (http://thebiglead.com/2013/11/12/ml...s-can-the-league-do-anything-to-improve-them/).

That article does a pretty good job explaining why. MLS is more popular and is growing but the idiot in charge don't know what they are doing when it comes to televising it. The WNBA does the opposite (more consistent televised schedule but almost no fans at the games.)

Loyalty - A two-way street

Honestly, I see this problem as cultural and systemic within the University. I have to say that there are some great people within the football program that have attempted to attract and include my subgroup (former players). Guys like Tate Nelson, Blake Anderson, Darian Hagan and Dave Plati have been constant in trying to keep us connected. For that reason, I will give to the program financially. However, it has been almost 20 years since I have set foot on the field there and, to be honest, I do not feel an overwhelming sense of community or loyalty to the institution. To be quite honest, although there are many adamant and serious supporters within the administration right now (Pres. Benson has put his money where his heart is in my opinion and I appreciate that), I really have no personal or emotional commitment to them. Maybe its the business I am in. Many of the folks at CU would gladly accept my money while looking down at and demonizing my profession and my industry (which ironically was also Benson's). I really do not have time for that. For that reason, unless there is some cultural change and some tolerance for a diversity of opinion, I will not push either of my sons towards CU. My oldest will likely go to Wyoming, OU or Baylor. My youngest? Who knows. Not apathy. Just reality. This board is really my main way to stay connected with a program that is not the same as the one I was a part of. That said, I'll be a Buff till I die. Go Buffs!

My oldest will likely go to Wyoming, OU or Baylor.

One of these three is not like the others. One of these three just doesn't belong...

FWIW, I'm feeling more connected to the university right now than at any point in the last 8 years. I'm seeing some effort.

I know. Baylor has some good programs if he decides he wants to pursue medicine. OU is right down the road and has a great geology/petroleum engineering / oil biz curriculum. Wyoming is family and I got my law degree there and know a bunch of people in their energy studies program (also is dirt-cheap if you are a legacy - like 6k a year). My son is 16 and about 6'2", 250, so football is still on his radar although I am not pushing it. If he wants to play in college and has the opportunity it will be fun but we want him to concentrate on the academics first. If he grows anothe 2-3" and gains another 20-30 pounds in the next year or so, we may be changing our thinking.

Honestly, I see this problem as cultural and systemic within the University. I have to say that there are some great people within the football program that have attempted to attract and include my subgroup (former players). Guys like Tate Nelson, Blake Anderson, Darian Hagan and Dave Plati have been constant in trying to keep us connected. For that reason, I will give to the program financially. However, it has been almost 20 years since I have set foot on the field there and, to be honest, I do not feel an overwhelming sense of community or loyalty to the institution. To be quite honest, although there are many adamant and serious supporters within the administration right now (Pres. Benson has put his money where his heart is in my opinion and I appreciate that), I really have no personal or emotional commitment to them. Maybe its the business I am in. Many of the folks at CU would gladly accept my money while looking down at and demonizing my profession and my industry (which ironically was also Benson's). I really do not have time for that. For that reason, unless there is some cultural change and some tolerance for a diversity of opinion, I will not push either of my sons towards CU. My oldest will likely go to Wyoming, OU or Baylor. My youngest? Who knows. Not apathy. Just reality. This board is really my main way to stay connected with a program that is not the same as the one I was a part of. That said, I'll be a Buff till I die. Go Buffs!

My Son-in-law is in the same business as you are and has one of his degrees from CU. He feels exactly the same way as you do. He talks about how anti-business some of his professors were at CU and he feels that CU represents a mentality that would like to shut down his industry. As a result he won't donate a dime. Not saying he is right but I think that is perception in the community that hurts CU.

{I honestly do not know why George Solich would give 50 million to a school that would gladly see his life's work criminalized. That may be hyperbole but, you are right about the perception in my business. I would much rather give my money to a school like Wyoming or OU that is helping to progress the science and business in a sustainable and healthy way. Although I will give to the football program, I have to know it is going there. Otherwise I may be inadvertantly funding some politically motivated pseudo-science that would ultimately degrade the exceptionalism and value of America.}

That's my last comment in this realm. Apologies for turning political but my personal experience is the cause. No more politics from me on All-Buffs. I do not think I can make a meaningful cultural difference at this point.

Last edited:
My Son-in-law is in the same business as you are and has one of his degrees from CU. He feels exactly the same way as you do. He talks about how anti-business some of his professors were at CU and he feels that CU represents a mentality that would like to shut down his industry. As a result he won't donate a dime. Not saying he is right but I think that is perception in the community that hurts CU.

That is a bummer. Carbon-based energy is real and it's massive in scope and scale.
The pursuit of alternatives and renewables is all fine and good, but not at the exclusion of good old fossil based energy.
The University of Colorado cannot hope to prosper by thumbing its collective nose at the biggest and most important sector on the planet.

Petrodollars make the world go 'round.

Maybe its the business I am in. Many of the folks at CU would gladly accept my money while looking down at and demonizing my profession and my industry (which ironically was also Benson's). I really do not have time for that. For that reason, unless there is some cultural change and some tolerance for a diversity of opinion, I will not push either of my sons towards CU.

These two posts really bum me out. I am very naive, I guess. But one question comes to mind. How do you change anything if you aren't part of the process?

{I honestly do not know why George Solich would give 50 million to a school that would gladly see his life's work criminalized. That may be hyperbole but, you are right about the perception in my business. I would much rather give my money to a school like Wyoming or OU that is helping to progress the science and business in a sustainable and healthy way. Although I will give to the football program, I have to know it is going there. Otherwise I may be inadvertantly funding some politically motivated pseudo-science that would ultimately degrade the exceptionalism and value of America.}

That's my last comment in this realm. Apologies for turning political but my personal experience is the cause. No more politics from me on All-Buffs. I do not think I can make a meaningful cultural difference at this point.

I'm with you my friend. I'm a 30+ year OG guy, (CU MLM degree) currently working the HZ Niobrara locally, have a season football ticket, and attend approx half of the home games. I agree that we need to target our donations wisely. I've lived in Colorado since 1956, less a few OG migrations in the 1980s, and I can re-affirm that many Colorado residents shy away from CU, money-wise and kid-wise, because of the school's (and Boulder's) and culture's real and imputed animosity not just to OG, but to market economics generally. When you post on message boards that you know tons of local people that would NEVER send their kids to Boulder, it's often met with denial/ anger/confusion/animosity. And since CU currently has neither a P.Eng or Landman degree, it's easy to conceptually help route your kids elsewhere. I get it. On an interesting note, Boulder's Paul Danish and Patty Limerick have both come out recently in the Denver Post as being against a statewide frac ban. So not all is lost in the big picture, but I totally get your posts and your philosophy. It was the other guys that drew the line in the sand and they should not be surprised when we are comfortable living on the other side of that line. I just made a pretty cool targeted donation to the XC program, because I think Mark Wetmore is a god, and I look at the XC/Track program as being off the radar screen. Go Buffs. All my best to you.

He won one PAC-12 game and did not win a single road game. 4-8 is clearly better than 1-11, but not sure it says anything about whether he will be successful long term.

Maybe it doesn't say anything about success long term. yet you use it to 'prove' how he is failing here. I think most people are in a wait and see approach for a couple years.

These two posts really bum me out. I am very naive, I guess. But one question comes to mind. How do you change anything if you aren't part of the process?

It's the double edged sword. If they continue to support the school they are in a way giving support to the attitudes that are opposed to who they are. If they don't support the school they don't have any influence to change things.

The sad thing is that the head in the sand attitude towards energy development at CU among some very influential members of the faculty (and it seems administration that support them) is damaging to the school and even more so damaging to the environment that they pro port to be concerned about.

There are environmental consequences to energy development, that is simply something that can't be denied. We also can't deny that as long as society demands energy and we don't have better sources energy development is going to continue.

If CU were to play it right the school could put itself into the forefront of more environmentally acceptable energy development. A lot of the big energy schools aren't in a position to do this because the schools or the entire states are so beholden to the industry that the hard questions aren't allowed.

CU could take advantage of it's position as an environmental leader and as an engineering and scientific leader in the balanced development of future practices. By doing this it would be in a position to be of benefit to and to benefit from both sides of the issue.

Unfortunately the first steps in becoming this kind of leader have to come from inside the university and I don't see much indication that they are interested in that happening.

That is a bummer. Carbon-based energy is real and it's massive in scope and scale.
The pursuit of alternatives and renewables is all fine and good, but not at the exclusion of good old fossil based energy.
The University of Colorado cannot hope to prosper by thumbing its collective nose at the biggest and most important sector on the planet.

Petrodollars make the world go 'round.

More importantly to us, petro grads with dollars fund the schools that get the best financial support from alumni for building facilities and strong sports programs. Still pissed Colorado (the state) won't let anyone but Mines have this as part of our curriculem. It truly hamstrings the financial backing we could have from alumni.

To me you are. You constantly talk about how he is failing at recruiting and make it sound like he can't turn it around. Yep, I want high three, four stars and some five star guys too. But I think that with how bad we were, he is doing the best he can. Building a solid foundation before he can attract the flashy top line kids here.

I am not excited about where we are, but I guess I don't see any reason to 'turn up the heat' on him until next Feb. I want to see if the team looks better coached this year (I felt they improved this year), see if the scores are closer (even if the win total doesn't change much) and then see how the next class lines up.
If the team looks worse, lose more games, by bigger margins, and we are dead last in recruiting in the PAC......then heat is on from me.

If team looks better, we get five or so wins, and scores are quite a bit closer, then even with another low ranked recruiting class I will assume he knows what he is looking for and wait another year.

Just a hunch, but I suspect the attitude towards the energy industry is a lot friendlier in the Business and engineering schools than it is in Arts & Sciences. I also suspect the same is true at places like OU, Wyoming and Baylor. Well, maybe not Baylor. **** bailer.

I attended CU and OU.

Just a hunch, but I suspect the attitude towards the energy industry is a lot friendlier in the Business and engineering schools than it is in Arts & Sciences. I also suspect the same is true at places like OU, Wyoming and Baylor. Well, maybe not Baylor. **** bailer.

The whole academic hatred of corporate America schtick would have got you forced out at OU in about a week. Within the Bible belt back in the 80's at least understood who paid the bills. Of course law school at DU set the standard in professors preaching their propaganda.
I would guess that Benson at the helm has tempered this some?

I interviewed with Shell Oil at CU in 01. There were a handful of student protesters chanting outside.

Back