What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The mistakes the staff made with DS

Just remember the old saying...for every single hot chick, there is some guy that got tired of taking her Sh*t.

Scott = Hot Chick

Hawkins= some guy

Anyone else wants to leave, start the purge. It's best to know what you have for a foundation before you start to rebuild after the fire.

good post.

And don't take this wrong...but IF other players leave, is there REALLY anyone that would be the death knell of the program if they left? Disregard any name recognition.

I can't name one off the top of my head.

What is going on probably should have been done 4 years ago, considering the circumstances.

I think the worst thing that could happen is if the players start to run the program by threat of leaving.

And don't take this wrong...but IF other players leave, is there REALLY anyone that would be the death knell of the program if they left? Disregard any name recognition.

I can't name one off the top of my head.

What is going on probably should have been done 4 years ago, considering the circumstances.

I think the worst thing that could happen is if the players start to run the program by threat of leaving.

The guys we took from you, I would love to keep, but could see them leaving. Givens and Rippy.

I don't think it was a shortness of breath issue. :lol: I'm pretty sure it had to do with being over weight. I'm not defending the staff on the way the handled Scott's time at CU, but was out of shape when he first arrived.

:stupid:

Scott showed up out of shape last year. That is 100% on him.

But I'm not sure even Mark Mangino is out of shape enough to still not be able to get on the field a year and a half later. The arriving out of shape is one chapter to the story, but we shouldn't act like it's the whole story....

:stupid:

Scott showed up out of shape last year. That is 100% on him.

But I'm not sure even Mark Mangino is out of shape enough to still not be able to get on the field a year and a half later. The arriving out of shape is one chapter to the story, but we shouldn't act like it's the whole story....

Scott needed a Bill Parcells type coach to get him motivated to get in shape and play.. Say what you want about Scott, but from his actions before and at CU it doesn't seem like "work ethic" was at the top of the list. When you have these talented players that come in a little to big-headed, you need to be able to bring them down a bit and build them back up so they can succeed.

Talkins doesn't provide any motivation or passion from what I've seen and when you got guys like a Scott who need a little kick in the pants to get going and your head coach doesn't provide it, this is what you get.. When you are a coach, you have to use different tactics to get certain players to play up to their potential. Talkins to me is one trick pony who won't deviate from his coaching "persona" to get others to buy in.

The Talkins approach works when everyone comes in already knowing that they have to work hard. Its the players that have had it easy and maybe didn't need to work as hard to get where they were in high school is where you as a coach have to bring out that work ethic at the next level.

I believe Talkins has a hard time communicating what needs to be done to the big time players.. His walkons buy in because they have been scratching and clawing their whole athletic lives in most cases. But the big time players look at this Zen crap and probably are saying to themselves, WTF is this crap?

As I recall UT was also thin at RB which is why they were recruiting him hard. I don't care what program you are, unless you have an AP type player already starting for you the the #1 RB recruit in the nation is not going to RS.

I am not trying to take away from you point, that maybe it would have been better if they had. But I really don't see any scenario in which that was ever going to happen, so pointing at the staff for not going down that path doesn't seem reasonable.

Klatt's partner is a fool. Trying to make a case that 5* recruits should be treated differently than the rest of the team just because they had 5*.

So which is it Chilly? Come on, you can't say that they should play someone just because he has more stars by his name than in the sky, and then say that the radio guy is a fool because he thinks 5* guys should be treated differently.

When you get a guy like Scott you can't treat him differently. Maybe after a year or two of winning some hardware but not as a freshman. If Speedy came in late and out of shape he would have redshirted for sure.

I do agree that if they tried to sit Scott for his freshman year the media would have made a huge deal out of it but as a good coach, that is what you have to do when players show up like that. At the time, was it the right decision? Anyway, it is over and I suppose it is time to move on.

So which is it Chilly? Come on, you can't say that they should play someone just because he has more stars by his name than in the sky, and then say that the radio guy is a fool because he thinks 5* guys should be treated differently.

When you get a guy like Scott you can't treat him differently. Maybe after a year or two of winning some hardware but not as a freshman. If Speedy came in late and out of shape he would have redshirted for sure.

I do agree that if they tried to sit Scott for his freshman year the media would have made a huge deal out of it but as a good coach, that is what you have to do when players show up like that. At the time, was it the right decision? Anyway, it is over and I suppose it is time to move on.

I understand you point and I guess there is a grey area. But not red shirting a highly recruited player, and giving a highly recruited player an undeserved starting position are different in my mind.

DS still was being asked to work for his playing time, and he was being asked to do the same things that the other players were being asked to do. Every coach I am aware of, always works with the players on red-shirt strategy. I am sure there are exceptions, but most players that I have know that redshirted, were on board with the red-shirt. Darell would not have agreed to it, in my opinion.

I understand you point and I guess there is a grey area. But not red shirting a highly recruited player, and giving a highly recruited player an undeserved starting position are different in my mind.

DS still was being asked to work for his playing time, and he was being asked to do the same things that the other players were being asked to do. Every coach I am aware of, always works with the players on red-shirt strategy. I am sure there are exceptions, but most players that I have know that redshirted, were on board with the red-shirt. Darell would not have agreed to it, in my opinion.

You are most likely right.

One of the main problems with this team is that we are playing all these underclassmen. I don't recall too many underclassmen playing on those early 90s teams.

IMO, an underclassmen should never play unless we are up by 3 scores in the 4th quarter. That is when you should be getting those guys some PT with rare exceptions.

You are most likely right.

One of the main problems with this team is that we are playing all these underclassmen. I don't recall too many underclassmen playing on those early 90s teams.

IMO, an underclassmen should never play unless we are up by 3 scores in the 4th quarter. That is when you should be getting those guys some PT with rare exceptions.

Ask that to a Mizzou team that is loaded with underclassmen that just kicked our ass. You can't have upperclassmen if 6-8 underclassmen are leaving your program every year.
So what your saying is that the most experienced player should play not the best player.

Back