What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The most dreaded staff

Unleash Hell

What would be your most dreaded football staff?

I would say OC: Shawn Watson, DC: Vince Okruch, Special teams: Kent Riddle.

Who else?

BTW, did anybody see that Watson is still making more money than the DC at Nebraska! Do those ****ers just not get it with that dude? They had one fo the worst offemses in the country last year!:lol:

i'd take shortbus shawn back as either hc or oc in a heartbeat. as weak as he was, he's a step above everyone on the current staff except cabral.

The staff we have now, except for Ambrose and the new WR coach..

The others are just a bunch of clowns that are either soft or way past their prime..

I think its been proved that when Watson has the players (Pesavento/Brown/Graham at CU and Gantz and crew at NU) he can put up a lot of points. When he doesn't....

BMW.JPG

HC: Slick Rick
OC: Lane Kiffin
DC: Ed Orgeron

That trio would rack up some serious violations while hauling in top 5 recruiting classes.

BTW, did anybody see that Watson is still making more money than the DC at Nebraska! Do those ****ers just not get it with that dude? They had one fo the worst offemses in the country last year!:lol:

Last year isn't on Watson. He did what he had to, and was told to, in order to win what they did.

I'm with you. Watson needs to be gone . . . I don't know why Nebaska fans defend him. His stats for total offense:

NU 2009 - 72nd
NU 2008 - 14th
CU 2005 - 61st
CU 2004 - 51st
CU 2003 - 65th
CU 2002 - 58th
CU 2001 - 20th
CU 2000 - 66th

I'm with you. Watson needs to be gone . . . I don't know why Nebaska fans defend him. His stats for total offense:

NU 2009 - 72nd
NU 2008 - 14th
CU 2005 - 61st
CU 2004 - 51st
CU 2003 - 65th
CU 2002 - 58th
CU 2001 - 20th
CU 2000 - 66th

1. Generally speaking, CU had very little talent during his tenure, save for '00/ '01. CU happened to be the best of the worst for about 4 years when the North was akin to a group of Baylors(not that CU fans take Baylor lightly).

2. Maybe it's just me but if I had to choose 'twixt the opinions of Huskermike and Bo/To, I would shade slightly to the Bo/To combo...just slightly.

3. Hard for Watson to do much @ Cu when his starting QB is a former walkon(?) and his best offensive threats are 2 Tight Ends.

4. I'm guessing you know the injury report from this year regarding the Oline...maybe not. Injured QB was the least of the worries, lining up 5 Linemen was.

5. Let's take away half the tools you use in your dailey job and see what your "performance" is like. The fact that they won the # of games they did is a testament to the Staff.

1. Generally speaking, CU had very little talent during his tenure, save for '00/ '01. CU happened to be the best of the worst for about 4 years when the North was akin to a group of Baylors(not that CU fans take Baylor lightly).

2. Maybe it's just me but if I had to choose 'twixt the opinions of Huskermike and Bo/To, I would shade slightly to the Bo/To combo...just slightly.

3. Hard for Watson to do much @ Cu when his starting QB is a former walkon(?) and his best offensive threats are 2 Tight Ends.

4. I'm guessing you know the injury report from this year regarding the Oline...maybe not. Injured QB was the least of the worries, lining up 5 Linemen was.

5. Let's take away half the tools you use in your dailey job and see what your "performance" is like. The fact that they won the # of games they did is a testament to the Staff.
First off, keeping Watson was TO's decision and not Pelini's (and TO doesn't have the best track record. You might remember him handpicking Solich as his successor). Second, it doesn't take a coaching genius to see that Watson's on field production is mediocre at best. Injuries contribute, but that doesn't explain his penchant for midseason overhauls of the offense. Competent coaches figure out what works and what doesn't work BEFORE the season. Watson does it halfway through the season.

The fact that they won the number of games they did is a testament to the defense and the defensive coaches. The offense did not win any game. The defense carried that team. You sound like the fans who defended Callahan to the end despite all evidence to the contrary. I bet you deny that now.

Wow, a Watson defender.

I think a decent OC would be able to make a gameplan to do better than this against a bad Colorado team that gave up 54 points and over 600 total yards to Toledo. If NU didn't have a great defense to save your offense, NU doesn't even go bowling last year.

-Nebraska's 89 yards in the first half was the second lowest by a CU opponent this season (Wyoming had 61 in the first half)

-CU was flirting with holding Nebraska to under 200 yards for the first time since 1961 (31 total yards), but the Huskers hit the mark on a Rex Burkhead 4-yard rush with 7:10 left in the game

-CU outgained Nebraska in every quarter, the only time this year the Buffs did that in a game

-CU limited NU to two touchdowns, just four penetrations of its territory (one red zone), ahd held the Husker to CU opponent season lows of one play of 20-plus yards, six plays of 10-plus yards and 18 plays of 5-plus yards.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3850&SPID=255&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204840943

Wow, a Watson defender.

I think a decent OC would be able to make a gameplan to do better than this against a bad Colorado team that gave up 54 points and over 600 total yards to Toledo. If NU didn't have a great defense to save your offense, NU doesn't even go bowling last year.

-Nebraska's 89 yards in the first half was the second lowest by a CU opponent this season (Wyoming had 61 in the first half)

-CU was flirting with holding Nebraska to under 200 yards for the first time since 1961 (31 total yards), but the Huskers hit the mark on a Rex Burkhead 4-yard rush with 7:10 left in the game

-CU outgained Nebraska in every quarter, the only time this year the Buffs did that in a game

-CU limited NU to two touchdowns, just four penetrations of its territory (one red zone), ahd held the Husker to CU opponent season lows of one play of 20-plus yards, six plays of 10-plus yards and 18 plays of 5-plus yards.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3850&SPID=255&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204840943

In the end, the only stat that matters is W/L.

Conversely, if I threw out the same stas for NU/Texas, you would say the same thing..or something else derogatory about NU.

We had a similar chat about NU/CU '08. I tossed out the stats for that game and all the other stuff and you were saying CU should have won, etc.

Great thing about football is that so much factors into a 60 min game that it is hard to pinpoint 1 thing that creates victories.

You've beena round a while. Do you think Alabama fans are up in arms over the fact that their Offense sucked the year they beat Miami for the Title? Nope, they knew that they had to be conservative that year and rely on the D. Heck, Alabama's O was no great shakes this year but their O Coord certainly isn't beig run out of town.

First off, keeping Watson was TO's decision and not Pelini's (and TO doesn't have the best track record. You might remember him handpicking Solich as his successor). Second, it doesn't take a coaching genius to see that Watson's on field production is mediocre at best. Injuries contribute, but that doesn't explain his penchant for midseason overhauls of the offense. Competent coaches figure out what works and what doesn't work BEFORE the season. Watson does it halfway through the season.

The fact that they won the number of games they did is a testament to the defense and the defensive coaches. The offense did not win any game. The defense carried that team. You sound like the fans who defended Callahan to the end despite all evidence to the contrary. I bet you deny that now.

You are correct about TO's track record. Good thing he got rid of McBride as DC when everyone wanted him to. Good thing he got rid of his horrid O Coord when everyone wanted him to. TO doesn't make the coaching calls now, Bo does. TO suggested Watson knew what he was doing when Bo was coming in looking for a staff. Bo apparently agreed. Thinking TO is some sort of puppetmaster is ludicrous. Watson was not one of TO's "guys". People say that about Cotton as well despite the fact Bo tried to get Cotton hired on at LSU.

I was all for the Callahan hire initially but thought he needed to go after the Ball State game. The option needed to go and stuff needed to be updated and only an outsider was going to be able to do that. I was anti-Solich. Callahan's downfall was his inability to separate business and friendship.

Now to stop something before it starts, Solich has had ZERO opportunities since leaving NU. He is better as a lifetime Assistant Coach. I sat through a recruiting pitch of his when my nephews were being recruited and when you compare his crew to Iowa's and some of the others that recruited my nephews, there was NO comparison. A change was certainly needed no matter the consequence. There were a few bad seasons coming regardless.

And by the way, if the D carried us this year, should we can Carl & Bo for '08 since the O pretty much carried the team that year(with a QB that NOBODY thought would see the field)?

You are correct about TO's track record. Good thing he got rid of McBride as DC when everyone wanted him to. Good thing he got rid of his horrid O Coord when everyone wanted him to. TO doesn't make the coaching calls now, Bo does. TO suggested Watson knew what he was doing when Bo was coming in looking for a staff. Bo apparently agreed. Thinking TO is some sort of puppetmaster is ludicrous. Watson was not one of TO's "guys". People say that about Cotton as well despite the fact Bo tried to get Cotton hired on at LSU.

Osborne retained Watson only so that there would be continuity on one side of the ball. He thought that gave us the best chance for immediate success. Watson's long term status was NOT the issue. Please show me where I said TO was a puppetmaster. Geeze. Exaggerate, much?

I was all for the Callahan hire initially but thought he needed to go after the Ball State game. The option needed to go and stuff needed to be updated and only an outsider was going to be able to do that. I was anti-Solich. Callahan's downfall was his inability to separate business and friendship.

I agree with the bold. I hope Pelini doesn't fall into the same trap with Watson and Cotton.

Now to stop something before it starts, Solich has had ZERO opportunities since leaving NU. He is better as a lifetime Assistant Coach. I sat through a recruiting pitch of his when my nephews were being recruited and when you compare his crew to Iowa's and some of the others that recruited my nephews, there was NO comparison. A change was certainly needed no matter the consequence. There were a few bad seasons coming regardless.

Agreed.

And by the way, if the D carried us this year, should we can Carl & Bo for '08 since the O pretty much carried the team that year(with a QB that NOBODY thought would see the field)?

In 2008 our defense was drastically improved from the worst defense in school history. Bo and Carl have fielded a better defense each year they have coached here. THAT is why the situation is different. The offense was in decent shape when Watson took the reins . . . and the defense was in shambles. Now those roles are reversed. That falls squarely on the OC.

In the end, the only stat that matters is W/L.

Conversely, if I threw out the same stas for NU/Texas, you would say the same thing..or something else derogatory about NU.

We had a similar chat about NU/CU '08. I tossed out the stats for that game and all the other stuff and you were saying CU should have won, etc.

Great thing about football is that so much factors into a 60 min game that it is hard to pinpoint 1 thing that creates victories.

You've beena round a while. Do you think Alabama fans are up in arms over the fact that their Offense sucked the year they beat Miami for the Title? Nope, they knew that they had to be conservative that year and rely on the D. Heck, Alabama's O was no great shakes this year but their O Coord certainly isn't beig run out of town.

The thing is . . .you can't throw out the same stats for Texas/NU. Texas' offense actually moved the ball sometimes and Nebraska's did not.

i'd take shortbus shawn back as either hc or oc in a heartbeat. as weak as he was, he's a step above everyone on the current staff except cabral.
I think this post says more about the decline of CU FB than nearly any other......

Osborne retained Watson only so that there would be continuity on one side of the ball. He thought that gave us the best chance for immediate success. Watson's long term status was NOT the issue. Please show me where I said TO was a puppetmaster. Geeze. Exaggerate, much?

"keeping Watson was TO's decision and not Pelini's"

I didn't say it, I just quote it. It was either Tom's decision or Bo's, someone has final say AND Bo has ALWAYS said HE had final say. If TOM had final say, he was pulling strings. No exaggeration on my part.

Well, if Shortbus has a top 30 Offense this year, are you on board? If it sucks again, I will be the 1st in line to kick him out since the OL depth is now there and all the RBs are healthy and developed. QB should be OK as well even if Lee has post surgery issues so no excuses.

So you're saying that Tom Osborne isn't allowing Lil Bo Peep to have a say in his own staff? Interesting. If that's the case, neb will never return to the Top10. Pelini doesn't want Watson? Yet he's stuck with Watson? Do any of Pelini's comments support that?

Back