What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The officiating at the end of this game is why basketball can suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time for this pos ref to get a clue how bad his call was. Anyone who encounters him in public needs to emphasize his failure and debt to CU.

It's time for this pos ref to get a clue how bad his call was. Anyone who encounters him in public needs to emphasize his failure and debt to CU.

that puts us dangerously close to fusker territory. Was this call worse than the Iowa State debacle a few years ago.

I have to agree in spirit with what some others here have said. This is the sort of thing that makes basketball a hard sport for me to get into. Is there any other major sport where officiating is so involved in the outcome? I mean, it CAN be a big deal in any sport...but in basketball it is ever-present. I mean, an ump can miss ball or strike calls in baseball...but that doesn't stop a batter from hitting the ball and taking it out of the refs hands. They say that holding can be called on every play in football, but if a team gets 14 penalties called against it in a game, that's considered a huge number (so you don't tend to get massive amounts of fouls called over the course of a game). In basketball, the refs are making calls constantly (in fact, fouls, the area involving a ref's direct influence, could be considered one of the top 3 most important aspects of the game).

Sorry. It's too much for me. And not just because of this recent game either. It just makes the game hard to watch for me. Too many judgement calls that are in the eye of the beholder (look how many times one of the coaches disputes a call. I would venture they dispute the accuracy of between a third and a quarter of all the ref's foul calls). That's huge. That's far too subjective. And the game is so foul/ref oriented that if you actually tried to implement REAL replay review, you would be having a review every 2 or 3 minutes.

Any game where the Refs are such a huge part of the outcome is going to be hard for me to stomach. This latest debacle just drives that point home again for me (it's got to be the reason that when you hear of refs involved in things like point shaving, it's usually in basketball. It's so hard to trace in that sport because of the subjectivity of calls that's built into the game).

I have to agree in spirit with what some others here have said. This is the sort of thing that makes basketball a hard sport for me to get into. Is there any other major sport where officiating is so involved in the outcome? I mean, it CAN be a big deal in any sport...but in basketball it is ever-present. I mean, an ump can miss ball or strike calls in baseball...but that doesn't stop a batter from hitting the ball and taking it out of the refs hands. They say that holding can be called on every play in football, but if a team gets 14 penalties called against it in a game, that's considered a huge number (so you don't tend to get massive amounts of fouls called over the course of a game). In basketball, the refs are making calls constantly (in fact, fouls, the area involving a ref's direct influence, could be considered one of the top 3 most important aspects of the game).

Sorry. It's too much for me. And not just because of this recent game either. It just makes the game hard to watch for me. Too many judgement calls that are in the eye of the beholder (look how many times one of the coaches disputes a call. I would venture they dispute the accuracy of between a third and a quarter of all the ref's foul calls). That's huge. That's far too subjective. And the game is so foul/ref oriented that if you actually tried to implement REAL replay review, you would be having a review every 2 or 3 minutes.

Any game where the Refs are such a huge part of the outcome is going to be hard for me to stomach. This latest debacle just drives that point home again for me (it's got to be the reason that when you hear of refs involved in things like point shaving, it's usually in basketball. It's so hard to trace in that sport because of the subjectivity of calls that's built into the game).

I agree with this. And it shows in how the games end. They turn into foul-fests, and it takes 20 minutes to play the last 3 minutes.

I agree with this. And it shows in how the games end. They turn into foul-fests, and it takes 20 minutes to play the last 3 minutes.

I hate that. One rule I find particularly stupid is that you can foul before the ball is even put in play on an inbounds play so as to allow NO time to elapse after a made basket. What the hell is with that? It seems there should be some kind of mandatory run off or an additional free throw rewarded if you foul before the ball is even put in play in an attempt to lengthen the game.

This game shows how reputation can decide outcomes. Think the refs pull this s h i t against duke?

I hate that. One rule I find particularly stupid is that you can foul before the ball is even put in play on an inbounds play so as to allow NO time to elapse after a made basket. What the hell is with that? It seems there should be some kind of mandatory run off or an additional free throw rewarded if you foul before the ball is even put in play in an attempt to lengthen the game.

Agreed. The refs should also not let the home team make an illegal substitution. Gotta love the home cooking there. Let guy come in game when he's not supposed to, and he immediately hits a huge 3. :rolling_eyes:

2013-January-3-22-37-7.jpg

That picture only seems to support that the ball is not out of his hand. It is slightly behind his wrist. If the ball was out, it would be out in front of his wrist moving towards the basket. Being slightly behind, or right over, the wrist would hint that at least his fingertips were on the ball.

The blur you see between the ball and his hand is simply ghosting from motion and bright light. It can give a faux view of space. That’s why the basketball has taken on a football shape. Pretty much Photo 101 with regard to tears, pixelation, light, motion, etc. The hand blur is going straight up to the ball, though.

In saying that, I'm still only about 70% sure that the call was correct. The other 30% is just not knowing what the officials saw in their footage. Hopefully, we're able to see it sometime, although I doubt it.

this is the exact frame i was talking about last night. the very next frame has the ball feet away from his hands, the clock on the side of the bb shows zeros, the one facing the court still shows .1 as does the tv clock.

this is the exact frame i was talking about last night. the very next frame has the ball feet away from his hands, the clock on the side of the bb shows zeros, the one facing the court still shows .1 as does the tv clock.

Yep. And most importantly, the next frame still shows that the red light hasn't gone off.

Conclusion: There's a slight chance that Chen's fingertip was still on the ball when the clock showed 0.1 seconds. On an inbounds play at the end of a game with 0.1 seconds left, a team is considered to have enough time to score on a quick tip. There is nothing close to showing that Chen is touching the ball at 0.0 or with the red light having gone off. He got the shot off in time. CU got robbed by an officiating crew that was looking for a reason to overturn.

There's no reason to argue this. The refs ****ed up. Buffs got robbed. Now they've got to focus on their end game situations to make sure they're never in a position where the judgment of the officials decides their fate. Just like how after the 2011 NCAA tourney snub fueled the major chip on their shoulders that pushed them to a Pac-12 title (don't let the selection committee decide their fate), now we have something that fuels the major chip on their shoulders that will push them to not let refs decide their fate. Tad is burning right now. The team will pick up on that and adopt the same mindset.

This reminds me of the Cutler fumble. I knew the win was bull**** but I was happy we won. I didn't try to justify it. I knew we were lucky. It seems most Cat fans agree but there are some trying to rationalize the bad call. Just be happy your team won. Let us be mad.

Listening to Hastings at lunch. He cited the rule. If it was called good there must be irrefutable evidence to overturn it. He said this incident is an example of why he hates refs. He said they were either cheating or are incompetent. Goodman said, "Or scared." Hastings replied, "That would be incompetent." Then Goodman mentioned that Ed Rush is the head of officiating and agreed with the call. Hastings said, "Of course. He was a stinky official in the NBA. What do stinky officials do? They become officiating coordinators." It was pretty funny.

The calls were bad for both sides. That phantom trip really hurt UA's chances late in the game. That would have been an easy two and instead turned into a point for Colorado (he missed 1 ft right?). That 3 point swing would have made the rest of the game play out differently, but for arguments sake you could say that that loss of 3 points cancels out Colorado's loss of 3 at the end of the game, and UA still wins in overtime.

You guys should look beyond just the call that wronged you and judge the refs on the game as a whole. Had the game been called perfectly, you still may have lost.

The calls were bad for both sides. That phantom trip really hurt UA's chances late in the game. That would have been an easy two and instead turned into a point for Colorado (he missed 1 ft right?). That 3 point swing would have made the rest of the game play out differently, but for arguments sake you could say that that loss of 3 points cancels out Colorado's loss of 3 at the end of the game, and UA still wins in overtime.

You guys should look beyond just the call that wronged you and judge the refs on the game as a whole. Had the game been called perfectly, you still may have lost.
This is your argument? Seriously? Get the **** out man. Explain to me the double dribble.

Here's the truth: We won. The refs changed the call to say we didn't. Then you won. Don't try to rationalize it.

No

This is your argument? Seriously? Get the **** out man. Explain to me the double dribble.

Here's the truth: We won. The refs changed the call to say we didn't. Then you won. Don't try to rationalize it.

So just because Colorado happened to get the bad call to end the game, that means we just throw out all the other bad calls? Sounds pretty biased to me.

I'm guessing you didn't read the thread.

Buff fans acknowledge the phantom trip. It was an unfortunate call. But if we're offsetting calls, where do you place the double-dribble/travel/self-pass no call that gained the Cats two points in the last minute and the illegal sub that resulted in a quick three points? There were blatant fouls against CU shooters that even had the announcers befuddled and all of our starters were either fouled out or in foul trouble.

I'd argue that we are looking at the game as a whole. It seems as though you're not.

So just because Colorado happened to get the bad call to end the game, that means we just throw out all the other bad calls? Sounds pretty biased to me.
I like how you don't mention the clear double dribble. Get the **** out of here with that ****.

You can't stand the truth, can you? Besides, based on your own arguments, CU is still +2 in phantom calls/no calls. So STFU.

I'm guessing you didn't read the thread.

Buff fans acknowledge the phantom trip. It was an unfortunate call. But if we're offsetting calls, where do you place the double-dribble/travel/self-pass no call that gained the Cats two points in the last minute and the illegal sub that resulted in a quick three points? There were blatant fouls against CU shooters that even had the announcers befuddled and all of our starters were either fouled out or in foul trouble.

I'd argue that we are looking at the game as a whole. It seems as though you're not.

If you really want to go through the whole game there were at least a few Lyons drives where there was clear contact and no call. My point is it's not fair to just focus on the stuff that went against your team and say the whole game was BS.

In that case, remember the substitutions after Nick Johnson fouled Dinwiddie with the clock stopped? The officials forced the CU kids who came back in to go sit back down, but allowed Solomon Hill (who came back in at the same time) to stay in the game. Hill hit a three the next possession. The referees from last night should be suspended not just for the mistake at the end of the game----but for numerous examples of poor officiating. As far as your point at the end, we outplayed you guys on your floor. Had the officiating been competent, we win in regulation.

If you really want to go through the whole game there were at least a few Lyons drives where there was clear contact and no call. My point is it's not fair to just focus on the stuff that went against your team and say the whole game was BS.
Why even play the game?

In that case, remember the substitutions after Nick Johnson fouled Dinwiddie with the clock stopped? The officials forced the CU kids who came back in to go sit back down, but allowed Solomon Hill (who came back in at the same time) to stay in the game. Hill hit a three the next possession. The referees from last night should be suspended not just for the mistake at the end of the game----but for numerous examples of poor officiating. As far as your point at the end, we outplayed you guys on your floor. Had the officiating been competent, we win in regulation.

Yeah but how do you know Grant Jerrett doesn't hit that shot instead of Solomon? I agree the refs were horrible. I just don't think we can assume Colorado wins in a perfectly called game. You're assuming if Solomon isn't out there UA doesn't score on that possession. What exactly do you base that on?

Yeah but how do you know Grant Jerrett doesn't hit that shot instead of Solomon? I agree the refs were horrible. I just don't think we can assume Colorado wins in a perfectly called game. You're assuming if Solomon isn't out there UA doesn't score on that possession. What exactly do you base that on?
Do you realize what a ridiculous house of cards you are building here?

I don't get these guys. I didn't go onto Chargers fan sites and tell them about all the non-calls the Broncos didn't get in the Ed Hochuli game. You guys got a game you shouldn't have. One day you will lose a game you shouldn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back