What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Option could be CU's only hope

And who are these more talented teams they are beating...I would argue that in almost 10 games a year Oregon is going onto the field with superior talent. This is not the Oregon of the 1980s. With the Nike money and facilities Oregon has been a recruiting powerhouse over the past several years.

Sure this year Oregon will only play 2 teams with more talent but Oregon has been running the spread for more then 1 year. So Oregon has won quite a few games where they had less talent and because they won a lot the better recruits are now going to Oregon.

And who are these more talented teams they are beating...I would argue that in almost 10 games a year Oregon is going onto the field with superior talent. This is not the Oregon of the 1980s. With the Nike money and facilities Oregon has been a recruiting powerhouse over the past several years.

This.

I live in Eugene. Anyone who thinks Oregon isn't recruiting in the Top 10 in the nation is nuts. They have superior talent, two deep, on both sides of the ball. I can count on one hand the number of teams with better athletes.

A few definitions being crossed here.

When the OP states option, are you talking wishbone - triple option? Hagan under Mac under center or Military Academy style?
Which is pretty different from the zone read option (aka Spread)?

There are many variations of course on both. Leach's version is pass oriented, but the short passes are really running plays. We are actually running this pretty much. Bubble screens with passes behind the LOS, so that other receivers can block downfield before the ball is caught....

Both of these offenses require a lot of speed on the field. Not one guy like PRich, but several guys like PRich.

Webb ran this offense at KU and you saw a lot of zone read running plays from the shotgun vs USC. It was actually pretty effective.

Also believe it is no longer in the minority. In the Pac12 for example, I believe everyone is running a spread attack of some sort except USC, UW, Stanford and CU. That is 8 of 12.

The ProStyle requires a good QB. A very good QB. We don't have one on the roster, that has played at least. None of the 3 have the ability to pull this off with the WR talent void we have.

Nope - the talent we have dictates the offense. It's called a Crappy Offense. That's the offense we are built to run.

I don't have the stamina to read this whole thread so please forgive me if I'm repeating stuff.

I watched Mac implement the true wishbone from afar and from up close, and it was really fun. But it was a little pointless until he got a real QB to fire it up, Sal Aunese. Sal made the players around him better. It was really clear to see, which is why we loved watching that guy.

Once Sal came, I think the word got out among So Cal coaches that CU was running it, and a lot of players who didn't really fit into the mold of the drop-back stuff run by USC/UCLA, they were interested in what CU was doing. Then we got good backfield guys to come here from SoCal (fast guys) and sure-handed tough guys from Colorado, then QB's, then TE's to handle the dirty stuff on the outside, then later (from my recollection) the O line.

(The O line took longer to get good in the scheme, but good position coaches seem to be able to conceal that better in a shifting offense like the bone. They can find little guys that move well laterally, compared to big mamou's who just had to hold their ground.)

Those were a lot of the factors I remember hearing Mac explain, and from assessing with friends. The defense just sort of followed the offense by about a year in terms of talent rising. It seemed like Mac generated a culture of competition among the coaches (Lou Tepper among the prominent ones) who just would not stay far behind what the other side was doing. That immediately helped recruiting on the D side. (Winning football draws good defensive players, I've notice. The opposite is not true.)

It was really fun to watch develop back then, but I really don't know if it would work today. I hope it would because I enjoyed watching it the first time. But DB's and LB's are so fast today, I'd have to see it play out in the fastest conference in the country before I believe it.

Go Buffs. Talk to you guys soon.

After today 2 things need to happen, 1) Greg Brown should be fired/or resign, they have no clue at all on defense. 2) pick an offense, any offense besides this one, why ? it doesnt work. I will say it again they need to move to an option based game, not the wishbone, there are plenty to choose from. The players to fit it are easier to recruit, hell even Kyle Ringo thinks we need to do something. If they continue to butt their heads against the wall, the only thing certain is they will be fired at the end of year 3

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-colle...changing-offensive-system-might-help-cu-buffs

It would have been nice to see Christian Powell get 30 carries today. He was a nice bright spot for the offense.

I would also have rather seen 10 more running plays, rather than 14 incompletions.

Oregon ran the ball 57 times, and passed the ball only 17 times. Colorado passed the ball 26 times (and completed less than 1/2 of those), and rushed the ball 33 times. I would trade 10 passes for 10 more rushes at this point.

After today 2 things need to happen, 1) Greg Brown should be fired/or resign, they have no clue at all on defense. 2) pick an offense, any offense besides this one, why ? it doesnt work. I will say it again they need to move to an option based game, not the wishbone, there are plenty to choose from. The players to fit it are easier to recruit, hell even Kyle Ringo thinks we need to do something. If they continue to butt their heads against the wall, the only thing certain is they will be fired at the end of year 3

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-colle...changing-offensive-system-might-help-cu-buffs

Tinkering with firing an assistant here or there does absolutely nothing. The problem goes far, far deeper than that. Painfully obvious. However, I do agree that running this offense in the Pac (if you can even claim we have a system at this point) was clearly destined for failure.

CVille I agree firing an assistant wont be that big, but I want a damn sacrifice at this point, something that says to everyone including the staff. Friends are friends, but I am keeping this job if I have to fire all of your *****es

Back