What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Pac-12, the Big Ten, the four-team playoff and Larry Scott’s … line in the sand??

I could be wrong. I am not trying to push my ideas and opinions as fact, just wanted to see why you got a diff interpretation and was hoping for a better response than read between the lines.

It's comical how the article implies that the SEC teams have it easier because they only play 8 conference games.

It's comical how the article implies that the SEC teams have it easier because they only play 8 conference games.
well.. are those 8 conference games harder (cumulatively) than the 9 conference games other teams play? Or the 10/11 BCS games that certain (UM, USC) teams play?

well.. are those 8 conference games harder (cumulatively) than the 9 conference games other teams play? Or the 10/11 BCS games that certain (UM, USC) teams play?

Yes. There's going to be exceptions of course, like UGA's schedule last year. Just because a school has 10 or 11 BCS teams on their schedule doesn't necessarily make their schedule tougher.

Quick point, a hypothetical Plus One to determine the national championship cannot be set up to feature the winner of the Rose Bowl against the winner of the SEC/Big 12 game. NCAA rules stipulate that a football team may play 12 regular season games (13 if there's a road trip to Hawaii, of course), a conference championship game if your conference has 12 teams and you win your division, and a bowl game. The Plus One will require a rules change that everyone gets to vote on and everyone not in the Pac 12, Big Ten, Big 12 and SEC are going to oppose that. If they did go with the Plus One then I think there's a pretty good chance that more often than not it would be the Rose Bowl winner against the SEC/Big 12 game winner, but that matchup wouldn't be set in stone so as to exclude everyone else. Less mess with the lawyers that way.

Oh and the SEC teams do have it easier. Alabama beat, what, three teams with a winning record? The top of the SEC is great but their middle isn't exactly murder's row. To get to the national championship USC is going to have to win nine conference games, a conference championship game, beat Notre Dame and one school out of the Big Ten. That's a minimum of 12 games against teams (theoretically) with a pulse. The polls punish losses even if they happen against good teams (witness last year when Oregon beat Stanford by more than three touchdowns, lost to USC by three points the next week, then Ducks fell behind the Cardinal a mere seven days after demolishing them and they never caught up again) so SEC teams facing potentially only eight BCS level opponents and still making the playoff should be a point of concern for the Pac 12 and Big Ten.

I could be wrong. I am not trying to push my ideas and opinions as fact, just wanted to see why you got a diff interpretation and was hoping for a better response than read between the lines.

What better response could I have given other than read better?

[h=1]Pac-12 remains open to playoffs, but Scott wants conference champion requirement[/h]
Scott has taken heat the past week after suggesting that a plus-one title game following the bowls is still an option despite nearly all of the other conferences agreeing to some form of a four-team playoff. While the commissioner has heard some of the reaction to his comments, he hasn't spoken at length to his colleagues about how realistic a plus-one is down the road.

"I know it's on the table for certain people. It may not be for other people" he said.

One thing Scott did not back down from was an insistence that a playoff include conference champions only in a four-team scenario.

"That's been as important as the format. Having evaluated all of the options, I'm for earning it on the field by winning something," Scott said. "I think what the fans want, in the call for a playoff in the first place, is to see it earned on the field. As I've studied it and talked to various people, if you look at the pro sports playoffs you have to win the division. You win the division, you know you're in. Aside from that, you're in a wildcard situation.
/asshole.

I still think we're on the way to 4 16-team superconferences.

Big 12 will overlap the SEC footprint by raiding the ACC. BiG will also raid the ACC. So will the SEC for its last 2 teams.

Here's my guess:

SEC: Adds NC State and Virginia Tech
Big 12: Adds Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson and Miami
BiG: Adds Notre Dame, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina

What's left of the ACC at that point is: Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Duke and Wake Forest. I see them focusing hard on academics and basketball for expanding from that, given the nature of those universities.

Pac-12 will be forced to go to 16 from the Mountain and Pacific time zones. It's gonna be tough to find 4 that work. Does the conference look at going back to the in-state paired rivals model by adding CSU, BYU, UNLV and Nevada? Does it look to dominate its footprint geography by adding UNLV, New Mexico, Boise State and San Diego State? Does it spend what it has to spend to move into the Central time zone by going after KU? Does it pull off a major upset by getting Notre Dame?

Big 12 will overlap the SEC footprint by raiding the ACC. BiG will also raid the ACC. So will the SEC for its last 2 teams.

Here's my guess:

What's left of the ACC at that point is: Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Duke and Wake Forest. I see them focusing hard on academics and basketball for expanding from that, given the nature of those universities.

Pac-12 will be forced to go to 16 from the Mountain and Pacific time zones. It's gonna be tough to find 4 that work. Does the conference look at going back to the in-state paired rivals model by adding CSU, BYU, UNLV and Nevada? Does it look to dominate its footprint geography by adding UNLV, New Mexico, Boise State and San Diego State? Does it spend what it has to spend to move into the Central time zone by going after KU? Does it pull off a major upset by getting Notre Dame?

Scott knows this too that is why he pushed for texas and oklahoma earlier. I dont know how strong the big 12 is at that point but it is going to be a battle between acc and big 12 the next few years. The conference with the best football teams at the conference might survive.

Here's my guess:

You're going to have to explain to me why it is that just because the other conferences are at 16 teams that the Pac has to expand as well. I honestly don't see the logic there. Why is it out of the question to have three 16-team conferences and one 12-team conference?

You're going to have to explain to me why it is that just because the other conferences are at 16 teams that the Pac has to expand as well. I honestly don't see the logic there. Why is it out of the question to have three 16-team conferences and one 12-team conference?

Agreed. Expansion for expansions sake cuts the PAC pie from 12 to 16 slices, without adding value.

Of the aforementioned schools, CSU, Boise, SDSU, Nevada, UNM, Hawaii do not offer more than the current per-school payout. Not even close. Nor are they strong enough brands to want in the Pac portfolio: they'd simply dilute the Pac12 brand. The SEC is currently finding that out despite adding strong brands like aTm and Mizzou, with the St Louis and Texas Media markets behind them.

The only schools that conceivably add value to the Pac are BYU, Kansas, OU, UT (and little sisters of poor), and Notre Dame. Those are your expansion options. Other than that, sit back and watch the other conferences cannibalize themselves. The Pac is in a position of power. Larry Scott is not stupid.

Last edited:
Back