What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Pac 16 ?

Oh, believe me. I get it.

I'm merely providing a public service. If you have better things to do with your time and money on Oct 22nd, 2011 than be in Lubbuck cheering on HC Eric Bienemey's Buffs, then so be it.

But if you are thinking about a roady in 2011 that's a little more affordable than Hawaii, then I recommend Lubbock. It may not be sexy on the front end, but for those who make the effort, it will be a good time.

As DBT would say...Capice?
I get it. I just didn't get why you didn't get that other people don't get lubbock.

i like college towns. i like going to games. i don't need the extra stuff. beers, brat, post-game hang in bar...good stuff to me. i get the family idea, but that's not my case.

to see a football game, to see CU play....to me Lubbock is probably better than LA. LA is a hassle. 8 lane traffic, not me. i spent a couple months living at a college buddy's place in Venice.....about all i need of LA.

I get it. I just didn't get why you didn't get that other people don't get lubbock.

The people who don't get Lubbock are those who haven't been there to see a game. CU has played in Lubbock twice? Three times? Lubbock is virtually an unknown destination by CU football standards.

I once was one of those people. I got religion in 2007. (T-Wheat shutting down Crabtree didn't hurt). Now I'm telling you, if CU heads to the Pac12, I wouldn't miss many B12 stadiums. But I'd travel to watch CU play @TT again for the people, the hospitality, the whole football experience.

After 2011, this discussion is moot.

Do you like green eggs and ham?

The people who don't get Lubbock are those who haven't been there to see a game. CU has played in Lubbock twice? Three times? Lubbock is virtually an unknown destination by CU football standards.

I once was one of those people. I got religion in 2007. (T-Wheat shutting down Crabtree didn't hurt). Now I'm telling you, if CU heads to the Pac12, I wouldn't miss many B12 stadiums. But I'd travel to watch CU play @TT again for the people, the hospitality, the whole football experience.

After 2011, this discussion is moot.

Do you like green eggs and ham?
You've been once right? Think it was an outlier?

You've been once right? Think it was an outlier?

Not really. Here's why. I thought OSU might be an outlier when I had a great time in 2005. But the same reasons I liked it then were what I liked in 2009. People in Stillwater at Eskamo Joes like to talk **** about OU, UT, A&M. They have so much hatred for their rivals in the south that it's an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation. Then they tell you how much they enjoyed their last camping/skiing/hunting trip to the Rockies. They have so much fun reliving their vacation and listening to similar smack from a different point of view that the beers starts flowing and you end up with people inviting you to their house.

I suspect Lubbock will be the same deal. Those Sand Aggies HATE A&M and UT. There's no hate left in the tank for CU fans. They want you to have a good time. And unlike Baylor, the people in Lubbock are not afraid of a little booze.

Plus Lubbock wind and heat are less likely in Oct. Chances are it won't be nasty weather that time of year.

And the Lubbock airport isn't going to be any farther from the stadium. If you fly, it's hard to beat the little regional airport with no nasty TSA, no long drive, ect. The hotels, restaurants and rental cars will be cheap, cheap, cheap compared to everywhere else in the B12. And since SWA serves Lubbuck, the airline ticket will be muy affordable.

Plus no one will show up from CU, so I'll get to meet lots of parents, coaches, and other muckety mucks who know the program inside and out.

So you are saying its perfect for CU football geeks?

Married Geeks? It's as good as I've seen. If you are trolling tail? No...Lubbock does have a reputation for the leading the nation per capita, when it comes to the clap, chlymedia, warts, and assorted uses for penicillin...

Wouldn't having those "crappy" locations in the division give CU a competitive advantage with having Boulder as a recruiting tool?

And actually playing one game a season in Texas would help our recruiting there. Right now we don't always get to play there and that doesn't help. Of course, Hawkins ignoring the state is the biggest reason, but playing there more often would help.

Wouldn't having those "crappy" locations in the division give CU a competitive advantage with having Boulder as a recruiting tool?

One would think CU has a competitive advantage with our location/natural amenities (and yes, it has appeared to be great in the past when we were winning in the 90's), but it doesn't seem to do us much good now. The facilities/coaching arms race that we are not participating in is also eroding our advantage. Don't see that changing any time soon...sure wish we had a Pickens.

One would think CU has a competitive advantage with our location/natural amenities (and yes, it has appeared to be great in the past when we were winning in the 90's), but it doesn't seem to do us much good now. The facilities/coaching arms race that we are not participating in is also eroding our advantage. Don't see that changing any time soon...sure wish we had a Pickens.

Maybe it would be worse if we didn't have the Boulder campus to pitch?

I don't want what's in this article to happen.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]PAC-10 (16?) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Cal
Stanford
Southern Cal
UCLA
[/FONT]​

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/story.cfm/story/996380

This would put CU, TT, OU, OSU, Tex, A&M, AZ & ASU in the same division ..:cry:

I've seen this floated around...basically a West and East Pac-10. Concerns about geography and travel would go down.since in terms of geography the teams are kind of close to each other. Most of these situations I have seen Utah in..and TT out.

That won't happen. I've said it a few times and posted links to support it. There is no way the Pac10 is going to expand in such a way that one of the existing schools would give up the annual games in SoCal (where all of the Pac10 recruits). In the scenario you put up, AZ and ASU would get utterly $#@#ed.

Yeah but Arizona and Arizona state actually do a good portion of their recruiting to the East.. They would replace their Cali trips with trips to Texas. I could see it working. Besides, Arizona/ASU are the newest to the fold..and doesn't have that 40-50 year tradition that the other pac-8 schools do.

Looks like the partnership being explored is a joint tv deal according to ESPN.

I am not surre what to think of the partnership. As long as CU goes to the Pac 10 I will be happy. Good scenario IMHO - but totally based upon the voices in my head:
- CU joins Pac 10
- Both conferences get a super-size tv deal, but conferences stay/operate separate
- Conferences share TV revenues - let the Texass schools fight UT for their chunk...Pac shares equally
- As part of deal, conferences agree to OOC conference challenges - similar to hoops. Can spread games throughout OOC to make sure there are attractive games each week before conference starts.

More fuel to the fire, Tom Dienhart:

Add Utah and UNM and make it the Big 24 Pac??? :lol:

If this happens, we'd stay as part of the Big XII, I assume. But no guarantee it keeps one or more north schools from jumping to the Big Ten anyway. We could end up playing a Big XII schedule without UNL as a rival and Utah? KjSU? KU? as the big rivalry game of the year??? Ugh. Worst of both worlds, IMO...

I'm starting to brace for a let down.

The reality is rarely as good as the ideas that are floating around.

I'm lowering my expectation to be no change to the conference, just a media deal that has been jointly negotiated by P10 and B12 commish.

I am not surre what to think of the partnership. As long as CU goes to the Pac 10 I will be happy. Good scenario IMHO - but totally based upon the voices in my head:
- CU joins Pac 10
- Both conferences get a super-size tv deal, but conferences stay/operate separate
- Conferences share TV revenues - let the Texass schools fight UT for their chunk...Pac shares equally
- As part of deal, conferences agree to OOC conference challenges - similar to hoops. Can spread games throughout OOC to make sure there are attractive games each week before conference starts.

The Pac does NOT share equally. In fact they have a more skewed distribution towards the TV teams than the Big 12 does. So USC gets a much higher % of the cut over Washington State than Texas does over Baylor.

This is another reason why the Big-Pac partnership will probably be the best that the conferences can do, because both conferences reward the teams that get the national TV deals the most.

Most likely, you can expect that Fox Sports will enter into this as both conferences have long-standing ties with that networks. I would be willing to say that there is decent odds that the BigPac partnership ends up being a combined national deal on ABC/ESPN for like 20 to 24 football games per season + conference championship games, with a scheduling variant that puts the best Big 12 teams against the best Pac-10 teams whenever ABC/ESPN wants to cover what would appear to be a "slow" slate of games. This would be done ahead of time, and would be ABC/ESPN's directive to matchup Texas-USC on a weekend that lacks other "nationally appealing" games to drive ratings.

Fox would step in as a 49% of two conference branded networks or might sell off a controlling stake in Fox College Sports Pacific and FCS Central, with the conference possibly buying in as owners of their own networks (this could help the Big 12 to renegotiate out of their ABC/ESPN deal). Those TV networks already have a jump-start on distribution throughout the regions they serve and could help ease the transition.

Fox might even be willing to bid against ABC/ESPN for the primary rights if they can get the nuts to invest in college football to that extent.

The other player could be Comcast/NBC Universal/Versus who has a recently successful relationship with CAA Media Ventures, the agency hired to market the TV rights for the Pac-10.

There is certainly little doubt that these conferences would enter into an agreement such as this, and then "raid" each others membership, so if CU had any hopes of moving to the Pac-10 there would have to be something brokered well in advance with full notice given to each party and some acceptable compromise being given.

If the Big 12 loses any members, BYU could be in prime position to fill a slot, with Utah going to the Pac; there would be no legislative fallout and with the Big-Pac agreement on scheduling their rivalry game would be protected.

The question then becomes who is the 12th Pac member and who is the 12th member of the Big 12 if they lose a second school to Big Ten expansion?

New Mexico could be in a very lucrative spot, with the Pac being the conference that makes the most sense, and having a need to upgrade their basketball membership. Hawaii could even factor in for the Pac at that point.

For the Big 12 I wonder if they would bite the bullet on either TCU or Boise State? If you already have BYU and CU, adding Boise could make for a very intriguing North division in football. Market wise they offer something in between Lubbock and Omaha, but nationally have gained a good reputation in recent years. Most likely they would avoid them due to the TV market issue, small stadium, and lack of other quality sports programs. TCU would be a redundant market and only feasible if they booted Baylor out of the conference.

If Nebraska & Missouri jump ship:

PAC-12
Pacific Division
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
USC

Southwest Division
Cal
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Hawaii

BIG 12
West Division
Colorado
BYU
New Mexico
Texas Tech
Texas
Texas A&M

Central Division
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor (TCU)

I highly doubt that AFA would be considered for any membership openings. They are a very good athletic department for where they compete and I don't think they really care about being in a "BCS" conference, and they aren't exactly dominant in their market of Colo Springs (TV wise). Of course their coach does, but he would be the last person to have any say-so in a the military academies conference alignment. They could just as easily go independent if their conference took a big hit to revenues and appeal of conference members.

Thanks for clarifying the Pac has a similar issue in revenue sharing. Wasn't aware of it.

My statements still stand for what I would like to see although might be slightly off factually. Any moves that don't include CU changing conferences is a HUGE bummer in my book, and would only elevate my hatred for the Texass schools. If there is even a remote opportunity for the Buffs to join the Pac 10, Bohn better have the balls to jump at it and make it happen. I sure wish we would take the corn's lead and openly start the marketing campaign (if it isn't already happening behind the scenes).

The development of this potential tv partnership definitely screws things up for a possible move...what appeared to work for us to be considered for the Pac - our tv market - now could be the very thing that works against us getting out of the XII since they would be stupid to allow the Denver market to get away.

I'm not seeing Hawaii although I am sure it has been mentioned as a possibility. Seems there would be a lot of other moves that would make much more sense. Anything considering Boise State sure seems like it would be very short-sighted. What do you get when they fall off? It will be interesting to see how the dominoes fall...and all of the scenarios that surface in between.

On a side note - Still hoping ND changes course and screws up the Big Televen's plans just for pure entertainment value...maybe better yet...they continue to dilly dally around while the other conferences wake up and pounce so they have to go to plan b, c, or...

Back