What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Pistol makes it to the Super Bowl

1989Buff

62-36
Club Member
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...stol-offense-colin-kaepernick-nevada/1882359/

Ok...I will openly admit I am a purist when it comes to CU football. And while I realize that over the many eras that it has been played, we have run about every sort of offense you can think of (well...perhaps with the exception of the very newest ones) I consider us to be a traditional power running team (and if you told me we were going back to the I-Bone I'd scream "Hell Yeah!" and find all sorts of side benefits to argue why it's such a good idea :lol:).

BUT

I also have been a fan of our new coach since before he WAS our new coach. His offense (admittedly his own variation of one the ex-Nevada coach helped pioneer) seems to be the "New Thing In Town" even at the highest levels of the game. I think we need this right now. We need scheme to compensate for our lack of Pac-12 calibre talent. Such compensatory measures won't win us any championships, but as many here have already said, the hope is to increase our win totals so that we can recruit better.

So, while I am no fan of the pistol myself (even though I realize that, as coach MM said, you can even run a power game out of it...I like a FB/TE standard set-up too much myself) I think it's a good sign that for a change CU's offense is likely to be cutting-edge for a while. Let's let the other team's defensive coordinators look frustrated and confused for a change!:lol:

(apologies if someone already posted this story...if so, I missed it somehow)

It's my understanding the pistol isn't an offensive scheme per se, but a formation out of which you can run any type of offense...spread, power running, pro-style-ish attacks.

I look for MikeMac to do what he did at SJSU, but I'm wondering if there'll be more QB running as I think Shane and Sefo are more athletic than Fales...but it's just a hunch.

Back