What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Price of #Winning

Let's be honest. If any of us here had any chance to hook the players up if it meant a class full of 4 and 5 stars, then we would. Unfortunatly, we are the Monday morning armchair QBs of the internet.

Hey, the talent in Boulder was excellent in the late 80s/early 90s. But there wasn't a big tree o' sluts that even the O-linemen could pull from. Dang high entrance requirements put some fairly smart and discerning girls on campus forcing me to reinvent my game on more than one occasion... No need to chime in, Pancho/sacky.

Last I checked, Eugene, Oregon was not exactly renowned for world-class tail. Auburn? Maybe, but so is every other school in the SEC (minus Vandy). ASU and U of A are loaded with hot California girls too dumb to get into the UC system schools. Hasn't exactly translated to success on the football field.

actually, having gone to Vandy for a bit....there are hot girls. it's in the South. now, they are all from super-rich Atlanta or Louisville families and had cotillions and whatnot....but, far better than say N'Western (yikes). Duke, too, has reasonable talent...more than one might expect.

Let's be honest. If any of us here had any chance to hook the players up if it meant a class full of 4 and 5 stars, then we would. Unfortunatly, we are the Monday morning armchair QBs of the internet.

If by "any of us" you mean yourself, I wholeheartedly agree.

Last I checked, Eugene, Oregon was not exactly renowned for world-class tail. Auburn? Maybe, but so is every other school in the SEC (minus Vandy). ASU and U of A are loaded with hot California girls too dumb to get into the UC system schools. Hasn't exactly translated to success on the football field.

You are totally missing my point. I've never made the contention that hot girls alone make for solid recruiting classes. I've been consistent: girls, money, and cars (together) are what get teams the best players. Arizona and ASU are miserable failures because they don't want to put up the dough to get dominating talent to play for them even though they're close to recruiting hot beds and have cuties roaming their campuses. On the other hand, almost every school in the SEC has consistently better recruiting classes than Colorado. Being near recruiting hotbeds and having beautiful southern belles aren't detriments. That teams in the SEC are willing to pay you to play for them is the clincher.

Avoiding the truth of the matter won't solve anything. If we want CU to win big, boosters need to put our money where our mouths are. Winning "the right way" left the building long ago. We're talking about teenagers who want to be rich and famous yesterday. Whine and bitch until you're blue in the face about recruiting. There's a recruiting deficit inherent to the process. Just because a kid hails from CO doesn't make him immune to cash, girls, and cars.

so, the "realpolitik" point you are making is that it's high time for CU to let aggressive boosters buy players cars,, give them a debit card account that always zeros at 1000$ no matter what they spend, and get them laid with CU gals?

pass.

Thank you! Finally some honesty.

It's fine if you don't want to engage in a pay for play system to get guys to come to CU. Just don't bitch about how we only have five recruits in July when other schools will over-sign classes and cut guys who'd immediately start at Colorado. If we want to be big time, boosters are also must be big time.

so, the "realpolitik" point you are making is that it's high time for CU to let aggressive boosters buy players cars,, give them a debit card account that always zeros at 1000$ no matter what they spend, and get them laid with CU gals?

pass.

Then, you're also saying "pass" to winning a national championship or even playing for one. As long as you're cool with long term mediocrity for the football team, then say "pass" all you like.

I do not think you get how this all works at all. I would argue that recruiting is cleaner now than it was 25 years ago. The Internet and 24-hour news cycles have created an atmosphere where everyone is trying to get dirt on programs. USC, Ohio State, Oregon, Auburn, and the like are getting pounded for doing the types of things you are talking about. Let me repeat: USC, Ohio State, Oregon, Auburn, and others.

Do you really think a program like Colorado is going to get away with rampant cheating? Do you understand how compliance works? All it takes is some conference adversaries (no shortage of them in a new conference) making some calls to the NCAA and CU is ****ed. USC is going to survive tough sanctions, Ohio State will as well, who knows about the others. But I'm not liking the long-term future of Colorado if we ever get slapped with sanctions like USC is going through.

Then, you're also saying "pass" to winning a national championship or even playing for one. As long as you're cool with long term mediocrity for the football team, then say "pass" all you like.

you've yet to prove this is the sine qua non of winning. making assertions is one thing....

you have 6 posts on this board. seems to me you are trying (feebly) to make people agree with this view that you have as some kind of stunt so you can turn around and say CU fans are as scummy as whoever you pull for.

your thread title is appropriate i suppose. the teams you have cited have recently played in the mnc, and maybe they anted up with some of the "prices" you suggest that we need to pay to get there.

now let's talk about the "cost" they are paying for going that route...

Addendum to BB's post: Dude, in the age of twitter and facebook, the cheating route is disaster incarnate. Look at what is happening to UNC. Where did that really all start? when one of their guys posted something on the internet.

Once you go down that path, you are asking for trouble. You pay a kid to show up, and keep paying him to stay, you can sure as hell bet he's gonna take an approach that maximizes his short term profit, because he won't see any reason to say no when he's already breaking the rules. See: Terrelle Pryor and Marvin Austin. The long term result? You are gonna get busted. CU can't afford that sort of heat. If a kid comes with his hand out, we gotta say no.

Last edited:
Nice post Snow. Paraphrased from the SMU 30 for 30, "You pay a kid and you end up thinking you own him, it's actually the other way around."

Hey, the talent in Boulder was excellent in the late 80s/early 90s. But there wasn't a big tree o' sluts that even the O-linemen could pull from. Dang high entrance requirements put some fairly smart and discerning girls on campus forcing me to reinvent my game on more than one occasion... No need to chime in, Pancho/sacky.

Pedro, dude. It's Pedro. :lol:

If Buff boosters were to start ponying up the $$$ to bring the recruits in as "Manhattan" wants, the way he has approached the subject is obviously the best way to do it. Start soliciting donations to pay for recruits in a public forum that is accessible to everyone. This is a great strategy. Let me start the so called #winning fund, I'm gong to donate $50,000. Right now. Who should I send the check to. Or should it be cash in a briefcase?

Has this thread been rated ****** yet? If not, allow me to be the first...

So Mac was paying players and providing them with women? That explains it. And to think I thought Mac was just a great recruiter.

Last edited:
Dear CU Buff Faithful,

I read a detailed report on Yahoo! Sports today regarding a scout who
has been able to parlay his relationships with elite Texas RBs into a
small business that's now over before it starts. This story is not
uncommon. We are all familiar with the supposed excesses of college
sports. It goes back a long time. In the not so distant past, our
own alma mater, "Dear Old CU," played this game. I was at CU when we
had some very good teams -- recruits and players were always serviced
by the hottest talent in Boulder. We'd be kidding ourselves if we
thought that the players on those teams didn't receive special benefits.

To recruit and win at the highest levels in college football, you will
have to firmly bend the rules. Elite players and/or their parents
have received cash handshakes all along the way. Elite players have
had the finest hotties give it up ever since they were 14-15 years
old. They see the lavish lifestyles led by their idols on TV and
online. They want their piece.

Kids from CO are no different. Have you been to a high school
recently? Girls don't look the same as they did when I was in school.
They expect hotter versions when they get to college. I've had the
pleasure to visit some of the campuses that have our nation's best
football team. Nearly without exception (Stanford is the lone
exception), the women are unbelievable. The difference between CU and
those places? The girls are (no longer) being used to recruit. We as
boosters (no longer) make sure that players are never lonely. We as
boosters (no longer) make sure that players are never without "walking
around money."

Yes, our coaches are awesome. Yes, they will eventually find and
coach the kids up to be excellent football players.

One day, the program is going to have to ask itself a big question:
are we willing to (again) join the dark side? Are our coaches willing
to look the other way when we boosters buy a table of players meals on
Pearl Street? Are our coaches willing to look the other way when we
boosters hand over $100K to a RB who runs with crazy power and speed?
Are our coaches willing to employ street level adults who are able to
convince a kid to move states to be eligible for his scholarship? Are
the coaches willing to call in favors to get minor issues like parking
tickets forgotten in the circular file?

It's certain that not EVERY kid signs for the wrong reason at a great
school. But, when kids see the program winning and all the guys are
walking around with strong arm candy, saying no is really difficult.
Buff nation: before we bitch and moan about our current recruiting
class six months before recruiting season is over, let's also consider
the price of success in today's college football game.

I am in.... do I just write you the check? Will you monitor these slush funds? Can we set up a matching fund drive from some large multinational corporations?

I would suggest buying some hookers as well... sometimes college girls get all remorseful about being paraded in front of athletes... I think it is safer to just go with prostitutes...

I am in.... do I just write you the check? Will you monitor these slush funds? Can we set up a matching fund drive from some large multinational corporations?

I would suggest buying some hookers as well... sometimes college girls get all remorseful about being paraded in front of athletes... I think it is safer to just go with prostitutes...

You may want to solicit funds from international corporations as well--they're people too, you know.

Signed,

The Supreme Court

actually, having gone to Vandy for a bit....there are hot girls. it's in the South. now, they are all from super-rich Atlanta or Louisville families and had cotillions and whatnot....but, far better than say N'Western (yikes). Duke, too, has reasonable talent...more than one might expect.

... ...I love Duke obviously, but man...the talent there was not that good. Compare it to any public university, and it's not that good. CU is way better.

Back