What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Recruiting Game

Doesn't IMG have, like, 3 top 100 recruits? At least. Maybe Tad should take the team to Virginia and have preseason practices at Oak Hill Academy next fall?
Or go to Maryland and do it at DeMatha! We really should look at kids from my old high school more. We're consistently top 20 in Basketball and Football...always a few top 150's in both. And now we have to play Markelle Fultz a bunch because UW got him.

Of course there is a money and notoriety difference. But is there a difference when it comes to NCAA rules?

I'm saying in golf some of those teams need to go other places to practice. That is not the case in football.

I'm for this. Its legal. Is the intent to contact high profile recruits and use this as a recruiting advantage? Yes. A lot of kids dont go on spring break. Will practices be 8 hours? Highly doubtful. They'll be maybe 2. At most. They aren't hiding this. They are doing this and telling others.

Should the NCAA ban this practice? Yup. But until they do CU needs to also lawyerese on the NCAA rules. If I'm RG I'm on the phone with MM and Leavitt trying to get them to get a booster to pay up.

It essentially gives Michigan an extra week of contact. Do you guys realize how blatantly unfair that is in a recruiting context?

Beyond that - I doubt that IMG leases out its facilities for free. This situation is total abuse of things.

Also, I remember that CU had something a few years ago where it was not able to hold an offsite practice at a CO high school. I want to say there was an NCAA issue with it. I'm not even sure how Michigan can be recruiting anyone at IMG and hold a practice there.

Meant it in the context of some arguments here that UM shouldn't be allowed to do this because other programs can't afford to do it. The "Arms Race" argument, if you will.

Honestly, Duff's response is the only legitimate response I've seen on this issue, and it's probably the most obvious. Other programs not being able to afford doing it, parents being upset, kids not getting a spring break, or just saying that it's "going too far" are not legitimate arguments against this.

Exactly. It's whiny to make a Bernie Sanders-type against this.

It is definitely a total abuse of the rules. However, I am not sure anyone has done it before, so I would imagine the NCAA will put an end to it. Can't blame Harbaugh. Take every advantage you can until they stop you.

It is definitely a total abuse of the rules. However, I am not sure anyone has done it before, so I would imagine the NCAA will put an end to it. Can't blame Harbaugh. Take every advantage you can until they stop you.
Harbaugh has become the Belichick of the NCAA. This one is similar to when the Patriots came out in that crazy formation that was then banned in the next post season. Legal, but not an intended outcome of the rule base.

I wonder how pissed Saban would be if the Buffs were the one doing this? Frankly, this is a brilliant move by Harbaugh. Even if the NCAA puts the kabosh on it, it's great publicity for Michigan. It makes them look like outlaws which, I guarantee, appeals to a lot of recruits. I wish Mac had thought of it. It would've meant instant notoriety for the Buffs.

I'd say this could be a violation of the off season rules limiting practice to 4 hours per day, 8 hours per week. I would argue that they are practicing 24/7 from the time they leave until the time they return, thus violating the rule.

Here is the rule for out of season practice, in part:

1. Outside the Playing Season - Academic Year
    Student-athletes may be required to participate in up to 8 hours per week of required strength and conditioning activities and individualized skill instruction. No more than 2 hours of the permissible 8 can consist of individualized skill instruction. Student-athletes must be given two days off from required activities per week.
Outside the Playing Season - Vacation Periods
  •  Student-athletes may engage in voluntary workouts at Athletic Department facilities. The University's strength and conditioning coaches (and NOT any countable coaches) may design and conduct specific workout programs for returning student-athletes, provided those workouts are entirely voluntary and are conducted at the request of the student-athlete.
  •  In individual sports (cross country, track, golf, and tennis), student-athletes may also engage in voluntary one-on-one workouts conducted and supervised by an institution's coach. If the workouts take place at a facility that charges a fee, the student-athlete must pay the fee in the same manner as any member of the general public.
  •  In sports with a safety exception (field events for track & field), countable coaches may be present and provide safety and skill instruction when a student-athlete uses equipment related to the sport. More than one student-athlete may be present for this instruction. However, the coaches may not conduct the student-athlete's workouts

Last edited:
Because Michigan took their entire team to Florida for recruiting but when another team wants to come down to their "open" practice the NCAA says they can't because of, wait for it.... recruiting.
Michigan took their team down to practice and happened to open practices. If recruits come in and make contact, that is perfectly fine. The fact that they planned it during a quiet period where other teams can't attend was brilliant.

Michigan took their team down to practice and happened to open practices. If recruits come in and make contact, that is perfectly fine. The fact that they planned it during a quiet period where other teams can't attend was brilliant.

It is at a high school facility, there is no "making contact," the recruits are already there and Michigan will be blatantly recruiting during a dead period. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

It is at a high school facility, there is no "making contact," the recruits are already there and Michigan will be blatantly recruiting during a dead period. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.
I can see that Michigan found a loop hole and took advantage of it. I am willing to bet that Michigan coaches absolutely won't recruit. However, recruits are absolutely free to initiate the contact. All Michigan did was increase their odds of that contact happening. Do you seriously think that local recruits don't show up to Florida, FSU, Miami, USC, UCLA, UTerus ..... spring practices? All Michigan did was make themselves available in a talent rich area.

I can see that Michigan found a loop hole and took advantage of it. I am willing to bet that Michigan coaches absolutely won't recruit. However, recruits are absolutely free to initiate the contact. All Michigan did was increase their odds of that contact happening. Do you seriously think that local recruits don't show up to Florida, FSU, Miami, USC, UCLA, UTerus ..... spring practices? All Michigan did was make themselves available in a talent rich area.
Just because someone found a loophole doesn't mean it's not bull****. The Michigan coaches sent out an invite to all high school coaches and "fans," so saying they didn't initiate contact is dumb because they clearly did. Maybe Michigan should change their school name to the University of Michigan at Tampa if they are mad about the unofficial visits IN-STATE schools get during dead periods. Michigan did a lot more than make themselves available, this has been promoted for quite a while now and they scheduled it at a high school with 20 division 1 prospects, hum I wonder why.

That's kinda how I see it SB. I don't know how right it is though. Michigan doesn't need help, their brand has been established for a very long time.

Well, they planned it during spring break. Not because of a quiet period. So I think its more coincidental although I'm sure it wasn't lost on them.

Back