What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The rise of Texas A&M and fall of UT after realignment

I absolutely HATE the aggies. Mom and dad went to SMU and instilled aggie hate in me at an early age. My interaction with aggie fans has strengthened that resolve.
I thought Paul's first letter to Dallasia was pretty clear about the requirement to hate TCU.

I absolutely HATE the aggies. Mom and dad went to SMU and instilled aggie hate in me at an early age. My interaction with aggie fans has strengthened that resolve.

I live in a sea of Aggie. Seriously, 2/3rds of my team at work are Aggie. My boss is Aggie.

I find Aggie really hard to hate. They're just so .... Aggie. Yes, they can be annoying. But usually, it's a pretty harmless annoying. Like a dog that runs into you why it's chasing it's own tail.

I live in a sea of Aggie. Seriously, 2/3rds of my team at work are Aggie. My boss is Aggie.

I find Aggie really hard to hate. They're just so .... Aggie. Yes, they can be annoying. But usually, it's a pretty harmless annoying. Like a dog that runs into you why it's chasing it's own tail.
Exactly. And while they are up right now, and have had success in the past, deep down, most of them have a humbleness that comes from having the rug repeatedly pulled out from under them. Now, UT fan is a whole other story...

Exactly. And while they are up right now, and have had success in the past, deep down, most of them have a humbleness that comes from having the rug repeatedly pulled out from under them. Now, UT fan is a whole other story...

You can't hate Charlie Brown when he finally gets to kick the football...

A&M rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Sumlin pulling strings to reinstate Manzeil after being suspended for his role in a racially motivated brawl was strike one. A&M hiring the same attorneys used by Auburn to cover the autograph scandal is strike two. The decision to sit JFF for the first half of the Rice game was a travesty. Manzeil's ability to attend A&M through on-line only classes is a joke.

The $450M stadium renovation is going to come with lots of politics and further opportunity for aggie to oversteer their headlights.

A&M will screw things up soon enough. No way they can keep up the momentum. A few six win seasons and a few more scandals will catch up with them soon enough.
A&M is one of the Top 10 wealthiest universities, they have tons of money. It's going to be hard for Texas to overtake them. Strong is a good coach, but Sumlin is alot better at recruiting.

A&M is one of the Top 10 wealthiest universities, they have tons of money. It's going to be hard for Texas to overtake them. Strong is a good coach, but Sumlin is alot better at recruiting.

And you don't think UT is wealthy. Last I checked their endowments way outpaced A&M ( $20 Billion to $9 Billion). It is equally slanted towards Texas when you compare AD revenues - Texas $165 Million and A&M at $93 Million. With those number I just don't buy your argument regarding the money being a differentiator between the programs. Both play big boy football.

It's not just recruiting. Sumlin's job is also to take young talent out of high school and develop them into men.

Manzeil was a media circus that has now matriculated to the NFL. How many twitter pictures of JFF does it take for a parent to see that Sumlin might not be able to keep his players on a short leash?

More recently, charges of aggravated robbery by Golden and Claiborne have caused both to get the boot.

How much more cleaning up does Sumlin have? Can he keep his players out of trouble?

We all saw this coming. **** Texas. I hope they die in a fire. Their hubris has decimated their own program. Couldn't happen to a nicer set of guys. This happened to them once before, when Arkansas bolted the SWC and it collapsed. Texas was thrown a life jacket by the Big 12. We need to make sure nobody throws them a life jacket now. Especially not the PAC 12.

It'll be UT and Oklahoma when the SEC expands to 16 teams. But UT might have to wait a long, long time for that... By then they will have given up their ****ty little longhorn network and they'll have to accept a 1/16 slice of SEC revenue instead of the 1/4 or 1/8 they had of Big12 Revenue. F them.

I'd not bury Strong too quickly. He is a builder. There are a lot of egos among the Texas HS coaches who were used to regular stroking by Mack Brown. Strong isn't that guy. His guys would run thru walls for him at UF and UL.

This. What he did at Louisville and at UF was no fluke. The article(s) try and count him out or make overall doom for UT. Nothing could be further from the truth as I would be somewhat shocked to see Strong fail badly at Texas. He's a very very good coach and he'll be winning at Texas eventually. Or UF.

A&M joining the SEC is a coup, no two ways about it. They have credibility now with recruits, both in state and in the SEC footprint, that allows their coaches to sell kids on the opportunity to play and possibly beat the #1 team in the country every year. Add in a game against a top 5 team and a top 10 team for good measure. And all of those probably in the regular season. UT, otoh, really any B12 team can't say the same because there will be only a couple of ranked teams in all of the B12 on any given season. The SEC is the creme de la creme of college football and they typically sport a few highly ranked teams each year.

I do not think anyone thinks Strong will "fail" at Texas. I think he will be hard-pressed to match his success at UF and Louisville though. Those Florida teams were absolutely stacked, probably the most talented team in the country. It all started with recruiting, with Urban Meyer setting the tone. That is what Strong needs to try and emulate at Texas. You guys are talking about player development, which sounds wonderful in theory, but very doubtful that alone gets Texas to the playoffs on a regular basis.

Texas to the ACC is much more likely IMO.

Think you are right.

UT is not likely to accept being an equal, even among what is seen as the best conference in college football. The ACC with their deal with ND has already shown that they are willing to "deal" to get the teams that will keep them in the public eye.

Even if the LHN eventually goes away Texas is going to want to have a First among equals relationship in their conference, the same thing that helped them kill two prior conferences but don't forget that each time a conference has crumbled around them they have come out of the deal unscratched.

UT won't be down forever. An undefeated UT team will never be left out of the playoffs, even if the Big 12 is down. It may even happen if they only had 1 loss. They are loved by a lot and hated by a lot. They are ND-lite (pssh, don't tell them that).

Bob Stoops and Mack Brown have won one MNC title each. That is bizarre.

Since Mack Brown is not a good coach than Stoops must not be one either.

No question that the team was loaded with talent all over, both on offense and defense. Point is that a number of Texas teams were as well and didn't win it all. VY was the difference maker, not Mack. VY was the leader, he was also the guy who made the huge, timely plays. On a team loaded with talent he was the transcendental talent. Didn't translate into the NFL but at the college level he was special. Mack was not a special coach.

I humbly disagree. No 'not a special coach' has ever accidentally assembled a cadre of premier coaches like Brown did AND simultaneously luck his way into multiple great recruiting classes and than had the mNC just fall in his lap.

Mack Brown was an excellent coach who simply came to the end of his rope. He's not the first guy to assemble an NC caliber staff only to have it raided later on. Bowden, Hayes, Stoops, Parcells, Sabin, all lost guys and saw their recruiting and other facets of greatness fall just enough to keep them from the top 5. Some them shook up their staffs later on, some did not and were fired. It's the nature of the business.

They are ND-lite (pssh, don't tell them that).

You shut yer mouth, boy! ND is the UT-lite! Get it straight yer mind, boy!

That's the response from Austin to the above quote - must remember that UT is second to no one, even if they're being insulted.

You shut yer mouth, boy! ND is the UT-lite! Get it straight yer mind, boy!

That's the response from Austin to the above quote - must remember that UT is second to no one, even if they're being insulted.

Even the inferiority complexes are bigger in Texas!

Back