What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Rules of CFB Fandom

Went to a D3 school and rooted for the Buffs and Sooners growing up. Now I'm solely a CU fan and more of a Buffs fan than a Broncos fan. Only time the Broncos were ahead of the Buffs were during those Super Bowl years and the years before 1989.

I'm not going to lie, it has been very tempting during the last five years to switch back to the Sooners for good since that's the state I was born in but I keep reminding myself I was made to be a Buffs fan since the D2 school in Canyon, TX where she went to when I was a kid is also nicknamed the Buffs and they do run Dolly (their Ralphie) before each half like CU does. :thumbsup:

I used to root for the Rockies, Nuggets, and Avs but now I'm down to just CU and the Broncos these days. Like with the temptation with the Sooners, I was tempted to drop the Buffs for good last fall before the wins over UA and Utah plus the CU MBB's run kept my CU fandom alive but barely.

The Broncos are Colorado's team and my first sports love. As my free time declines these days, it's possible I will just go all Broncos. If CU does not show progress in football this fall, that could speed up the process.

I don't know if I could speak for the CU fans that didn't go to CU but grew up with the Broncos & Buffs, but I think this is going to be a very pivotal year in the state of Colorado football from those D2 schools to the Broncos. Some new fans could be gained and longtime fans lost this year.

I hate sounding like a Debbie downer but we got to compete for a bowl game this year or we could have a new coaching staff much sooner than we expect in addition to a new AD.

CU can use all the support it can get so I'm not about to tell anybody they can't root for the Buffs, but I always thought it was a little lame to root for a school you didn't attend. That's what pro teams are for - they are all-inclusive.

I guess I need to take my CU gear to Goodwill and declare myself 100% loyal to the Denver Broncos and kiss John Elway's Super Bowl Rings.

This is my perspective: After graduating from CU I took a job in Dallas and made friends with a bunch of other "young professionals" who also went to big state schools from all over the country (UT, OU, OSU, Illinois, Maryland, etc.). Every Sat during football season we went to the bar to cheer on our respective schools. CU probably became a bigger part of my identity than it would have if I stayed in CO. CU wasn't just my football team it was where I was from, where I earned my degree. I also had a couple of friends who would come to the bar in UT gear and get in my face because CU was so piss poor, but didn't go to UT. They didn't sit in the student section every Sat for 4 yrs and sing the fight song. They didn't go to the classes. They didn't go to the after game parties (or occasional riot...). IMHO they didn't earn the right to call themselves Longhorns and feel a sense of pride when they ran roughshod over my fellow alumn.

As I tried to preface my previous post, I don't want to exclude anybody from Buffnation. If you are currently a Buff fan than you are much different than a non-degree holding Bama fan pounding his chest and trolling on a CU board.

We need every non-alum fan we can get. I would imagine most of you are trying to not see the Buffs ever only drawing crowds of 25k -- guess what? that's what happens if we take away the non-alum fans. You'd better believe a crucial aspect of building an IPF and increasing Folsom's capacity comes from non-alum fans and their hard-earned $$. Give me a non-alum Buff fan over some apathetic douche from the OC just at CU because he heard about 4/20, or even worse, some douche from Lake Oswego walking around CU in an Oregon hoodie.

We need every non-alum fan we can get. I would imagine most of you are trying to not see the Buffs ever only drawing crowds of 25k -- guess what? that's what happens if we take away the non-alum fans. You'd better believe a crucial aspect of building an IPF and increasing Folsom's capacity comes from non-alum fans and their hard-earned $$. Give me a non-alum Buff fan over some apathetic douche from the OC just at CU because he heard about 4/20, or even worse, some douche from Lake Oswego walking around CU in an Oregon hoodie.

Plus the west coast alumni & fanbase needs to step up now that they can go watch CU in person like never before. I imagine we are making progress in that area.

Went to a D3 school and rooted for the Buffs and Sooners growing up. Now I'm solely a CU fan and more of a Buffs fan than a Broncos fan. Only time the Broncos were ahead of the Buffs were during those Super Bowl years and the years before 1989.

I'm not going to lie, it has been very tempting during the last five years to switch back to the Sooners for good since that's the state I was born in but I keep reminding myself I was made to be a Buffs fan since the D2 school in Canyon, TX where she went to when I was a kid is also nicknamed the Buffs and they do run Dolly (their Ralphie) before each half like CU does. :thumbsup:

I used to root for the Rockies, Nuggets, and Avs but now I'm down to just CU and the Broncos these days. Like with the temptation with the Sooners, I was tempted to drop the Buffs for good last fall before the wins over UA and Utah plus the CU MBB's run kept my CU fandom alive but barely.

The Broncos are Colorado's team and my first sports love. As my free time declines these days, it's possible I will just go all Broncos. If CU does not show progress in football this fall, that could speed up the process.

I don't know if I could speak for the CU fans that didn't go to CU but grew up with the Broncos & Buffs, but I think this is going to be a very pivotal year in the state of Colorado football from those D2 schools to the Broncos. Some new fans could be gained and longtime fans lost this year.

I hate sounding like a Debbie downer but we got to compete for a bowl game this year or we could have a new coaching staff much sooner than we expect in addition to a new AD.

Bad fan IMHO

Plus the west coast alumni & fanbase needs to step up now that they can go watch CU in person like never before. I imagine we are making progress in that area.

Will admit I have been impressed with our fans showing up in force in California. Seen it firsthand.

Will admit I have been impressed with our fans showing up in force in California. Seen it firsthand.

Unfortunately, possibly the worst 3 performances of the past 2 seasons were @Cal, @Stanford and @UCLA. That can't continue. Buffs have to play well at USC this year.

Bad fan IMHO

It's too easy to go from rooting for powerhouse CU of the 1990s to any other team right now especially when you see people wearing Texas or Oregon gear now when they would have wore CU gear back in the 1990s. Those are the bad fans.

Like I said, I could have gone back to wearing the crimson & cream of OU because they are national championship contenders today but my heart is with CU.

Any fan that has been a fan of the Buffs the last 10 years and is still a Buffs fan are good fans.

And haven't I seen you say you were a 'Bama fan on this forum?

Unfortunately, possibly the worst 3 performances of the past 2 seasons were @Cal, @Stanford and @UCLA. That can't continue. Buffs have to play well at Fresno and not **** the bed at USC this year.

Fify

It's too easy to go from rooting for powerhouse CU of the 1990s to any other team right now especially when you see people wearing Texas or Oregon gear now when they would have wore CU gear back in the 1990s. Those are the bad fans.

Like I said, I could have gone back to wearing the crimson & cream of OU because they are national championship contenders today but my heart is with CU.

Any fan that has been a fan of the Buffs the last 10 years and is still a Buffs fan are good fans.

And haven't I seen you say you were a 'Bama fan on this forum?

You took my post way too seriously

Unfortunately, possibly the worst 3 performances of the past 2 seasons were @Cal, @Stanford and @UCLA. That can't continue. Buffs have to play well at USC this year.

The first 2 minutes of that Stanford game were pretty good.

The first 2 minutes of that Stanford game were pretty good.

We looked good until the blocked field goal. And then Luck just picked us apart. Couldn't handle their TEs or get off the field on 3rd downs.

Back