What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The rumors are hitting closer to home.

Not specific enough. That only elliminates Charlie and Mark Mangino.

Don't forget Ralph Friedgen.

(apparently last seen being tossed out of a Shoney's after going through the buffet line one too many times).

I don't care if we hire drunks and cheats. Or both in the same person for that matter. I just want a guy who wins football games. Drunkards and cheaters welcome to apply.

Same here! I guess that Tressel was cheating(IMO its the archaic policies of the NCAA), and I'd hire him in a heartbeat. I hate Petrino as a person, but the state of our program is sad enough that I would take him to coach our team. I suspect Spurrier is a drunk along with Saban, Mack Brown, Lane Kiffin, and a few others but they seem to do okay. I just want a proven winner. That's all. Not a coordinator or another Pigeon from a small school. A tried and true winner...here's looking at you Belotti. We should make him our coach and AD(I know it's not gonna happen)...

I don't care if we hire drunks and cheats. Or both in the same person for that matter. I just want a guy who wins football games. Drunkards and cheaters welcome to apply.

Spot on...agree

Absolutely. I would give Ralphie's left nut to get Tressel.

Same here! I guess that Tressel was cheating(IMO its the archaic policies of the NCAA), and I'd hire him in a heartbeat. I hate Petrino as a person, but the state of our program is sad enough that I would take him to coach our team. I suspect Spurrier is a drunk along with Saban, Mack Brown, Lane Kiffin, and a few others but they seem to do okay. I just want a proven winner. That's all. Not a coordinator or another Pigeon from a small school. A tried and true winner...here's looking at you Belotti. We should make him our coach and AD(I know it's not gonna happen)...

Tressel's got the show cause penalty on top of the first 5 games suspended. If he violates even a minor recruiting rule the NCAA could hammer us. He's a good coach in Ohio, I don't think he's worth any of that risk. Plus, it's yet to be proven that he can recruit without cheating. He wasn't clean at Youngstown either.

Hire Petrino and you better have a very solid succession plan in place cause he ain't staying around and he leaves anarchy in his wake.

I'm all for taking risks but those two jokers could do more harm than good imo.

Last edited:
Btw....we all wanted Barnett to die. That B12 championship was even more embarrassing than this season....well, maybe not.

Btw....we all wanted Barnett to die. That B12 championship was even more embarrassing than this season....well, maybe not.

Disagree. I wasn't calling for Barnett's head at that time. Yeah, that game sucked a lot, and I felt like changes needed to be made on the staff, but I liked his honesty.

Disagree. I wasn't calling for Barnett's head at that time. Yeah, that game sucked a lot, and I felt like changes needed to be made on the staff, but I liked his honesty.

My mindset at the time was to return us to 2001 (or 1990). Incredibly short-sighted in hindsight.

I felt bad for Barnett. He was a good football coach and a pretty decent guy who wasn't a very good PR man. That bitch DA decided to go after him and the administration hung him out to dry instead of showing some backbone and supporting him and the kids. Once that all went down he saw the writing on the wall and began to settle for what he could get instead of working to win.

I don't expect or want a PR guy, I want a football coach who can win. Unfortunately in Boulder you have to have a guy who can handle a certain amount of scrutiny that doesn't exist in a lot of other places where they care about their football enough to tell the gripers to sit down and shut up.

You need to have a coach with commen sense in Boulder, nothing more.

Let's not forget that Barnett was making big money at the time he was fired. Real big money for the time.

Same here! I guess that Tressel was cheating(IMO its the archaic policies of the NCAA),

Eh, I'm not sure that not allowing players to get free **** from boosters and actually expecting them to attend class are really bad policies for college athletics....

Imposing unnecessary and restrictive conditions on your coaching search like "he must be currently unemployed so that we can hire him right away" is exactly how we landed ourselves in this mess to begin with, with respect to both the Hawkins and Embree hires.

Neither Hawk or Embree were unemployed, if I recall correctly.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

You need to have a coach with commen sense in Boulder, nothing more.

Let's not forget that Barnett was making big money at the time he was fired. Real big money for the time.

Not really, for a coach that turned around a perennial loser in a BCS conference I'd say he got what the market was paying in 1999.

GB had his issues, he was way to loyal to bad coaches and had serious communications skills, he ran off Craig Ochs with his dumb comments.

I felt bad for Barnett. He was a good football coach and a pretty decent guy who wasn't a very good PR man. That bitch DA decided to go after him and the administration hung him out to dry instead of showing some backbone and supporting him and the kids. Once that all went down he saw the writing on the wall and began to settle for what he could get instead of working to win.

I don't expect or want a PR guy, I want a football coach who can win. Unfortunately in Boulder you have to have a guy who can handle a certain amount of scrutiny that doesn't exist in a lot of other places where they care about their football enough to tell the gripers to sit down and shut up.

fantastic post
so true

Not really, for a coach that turned around a perennial loser in a BCS conference I'd say he got what the market was paying in 1999.

GB had his issues, he was way to loyal to bad coaches and had serious communications skills, he ran off Craig Ochs with his dumb comments.

Maybe "real big money" was overstating it. But $1.6 million in 2003-2005 when the **** hit the fan, that was a very competitive salary at the time.

Back