What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Things are getting ugly in Eugene - broken off from personnel thread

If Phil DiStefano were to be replaced with someone like recently retired Oregon chancellor George Pernsteiner or Wisconsin chancellor Rebecca Blank, or A&M chancellor John Sharp, or someone from some school that does a good job balancing academics and athletics, would you be supportive?

Or would you make a case to keep Dr DiStefano's based on his recent change of heart and latent support for CU athletics?
I wouldn't have any issue with it

If Phil DiStefano were to be replaced with someone like recently retired Oregon chancellor George Pernsteiner or Wisconsin chancellor Rebecca Blank, or A&M chancellor John Sharp, or someone from some school that does a good job balancing academics and athletics, would you be supportive?

Or would you make a case to keep Dr DiStefano's based on his recent change of heart and latent support for CU athletics?

Not sure whOregon is a good example of a school that balances athletics with academics.

Let's get back to making Oregon our bitch on the bball Corey... wait... too soon?

In all honesty though, what is the transfer market like this off-season? How many transfers do you think they will pick up? Will their APR get to a dangerous level because of this?

I wouldn't have any issue with it
It's nice to find consensus.

I am hoping that Benson sticks around so long as his focus and fundraising skills are used to dig out from the hole we are in. The man can raise money. When it comes to writing checks to the CU AD, he has put his money where his mouth is. I trust Benson, and suspect that he was preoccupied with the Aurora CU Med Campus in the years leading up to the cellar era.

I am hoping that DiStephano (39 years service @ CU) retires while fans are in a wait and see mode with MacIntyre. (Better yet, I hope MacIntyre leads the Buffs back to respectability by year 4-5 and is extended). I do not want PDiS on post when Rick George is tasked with hirinf MM's eventual replacement.

I do not want Benson to exit before PDiS. If George gets into a cash flow crisis (terrible ticket sales, bad underestimation of renovation costs, ugly scandal, ect), I can envision PDiS regressing into austerity mode.

Can one of the 24 Mods posting here now please rename this thread:
"Things are getting ugly in Boulder"

Thanks,

The Bear

Not sure whOregon is a good example of a school that balances athletics with academics.

True. But unlike Nebraska, at least Oregon is still an AAU member.

Any implication that an O degree ranks ahead of a CU education is unintentional and not reflective of my views.

The issue stands. Oregon has been facing state higher ed budget cuts while also going all in on Athletics.

Bottom line- would a swap of DiStep for Oregon's recent retiree help CU and harm Oregon?

The description of DiStefano as a spineless boot licker is pretty accurate, IMO. He does what he's told to do. He doesn't really show any leadership, though. Brad has his example, but I have my own that I've shared once or twice.

It's 2011 at a Rotary Conference. DiStefano is there, participating in a forum of local higher-ups in Colorado Higher Ed. He starts spouting off about how we (CU) needs to be better at Freshmen retention. He is talking to a crowd that is big on education, so he figures he has a sympathetic ear. He brings up a bunch of statistics about how CU Freshmen drop out at an alarming rate, and blah, blah, blah. I mean, he's really getting into it. This is obviously a really, really big issue for him, right?

Thing is, CU is designed that way. It's MEANT to weed out 30% of the incoming Freshmen every year. The year of my Freshman orientation, the Chancellor (Corbridge at the time), told us to each look at the kid sitting to our left, then to the kid on our right, then at ourselves. He said that it was very likely that one of those three would be gone within three years. It's always been that way, and probably always will be. It's no big deal. That's what CU is. But Phil, when addressing a group that he thinks wants to hear about how CU is attending to the needs of all of it's students, goes off on how important it is to improve the Freshman retention rate. He doesn't give a rip about that. Never has. Never will. But it sounded good at the time. But that's Phil. Say whatever you think your audience wants to hear. And be passionate about it... at least for a while.

The description of DiStefano as a spineless boot licker is pretty accurate, IMO. He does what he's told to do. He doesn't really show any leadership, though. Brad has his example, but I have my own that I've shared once or twice.

It's 2011 at a Rotary Conference. DiStefano is there, participating in a forum of local higher-ups in Colorado Higher Ed. He starts spouting off about how we (CU) needs to be better at Freshmen retention. He is talking to a crowd that is big on education, so he figures he has a sympathetic ear. He brings up a bunch of statistics about how CU Freshmen drop out at an alarming rate, and blah, blah, blah. I mean, he's really getting into it. This is obviously a really, really big issue for him, right?

Thing is, CU is designed that way. It's MEANT to weed out 30% of the incoming Freshmen every year. The year of my Freshman orientation, the Chancellor (Corbridge at the time), told us to each look at the kid sitting to our left, then to the kid on our right, then at ourselves. He said that it was very likely that one of those three would be gone within three years. It's always been that way, and probably always will be. It's no big deal. That's what CU is. But Phil, when addressing a group that he thinks wants to hear about how CU is attending to the needs of all of it's students, goes off on how important it is to improve the Freshman retention rate. He doesn't give a rip about that. Never has. Never will. But it sounded good at the time. But that's Phil. Say whatever you think your audience wants to hear. And be passionate about it... at least for a while.

That's why he's "Teflon Phil".

Difference of UO & CU academics are marginal at best. Who gives a crap.
Dana Altman is an awful human who has no issue bringing in other awful humans for a competitive advantage.
This incident happened before the NCAA tourney and he knowingly brought in a player who was <6 months removed from assaulting another female (Austin).
Incinerate all of them, please.

One more reason why I know Tad is a straight-shooter is his obvious disdain for Dana.

It's nice to find consensus.

I am hoping that Benson sticks around so long as his focus and fundraising skills are used to dig out from the hole we are in. The man can raise money. When it comes to writing checks to the CU AD, he has put his money where his mouth is. I trust Benson, and suspect that he was preoccupied with the Aurora CU Med Campus in the years leading up to the cellar era.

I am hoping that DiStephano (39 years service @ CU) retires while fans are in a wait and see mode with MacIntyre. (Better yet, I hope MacIntyre leads the Buffs back to respectability by year 4-5 and is extended). I do not want PDiS on post when Rick George is tasked with hirinf MM's eventual replacement.

I do not want Benson to exit before PDiS. If George gets into a cash flow crisis (terrible ticket sales, bad underestimation of renovation costs, ugly scandal, ect), I can envision PDiS regressing into austerity mode.

Brilliant deduction, Watson! When billionaires talk, multi-millionaires listen.

Not particularly original but not bad on short notice. Still, I expect better calls from you. Maybe when you reach 50,000 posts...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-25613-1388763320-0.gif

Junc - you gonna let him get away with that?

Not particularly original but not bad on short notice. Still, I expect better calls from you. Maybe when you reach 50,000 posts...

most fans just hate other schools and their fans. we hate ourselves. having once been great and then having fallen this low, our self-loathing knows no bounds. we're also a very self-involved fan base so all subjects eventually come around to us discussing us. because we love ourselves almost as much as we hate ourselves.

some call it cannibalism. perhaps. the restaurant on campus is the "alferd packer grill" so cannibalism befits us.

let us serve as a warning, bear. we are what you could easily become: distracted fan base, hostile academic community, surrounded by a town of folks who don't really have much interest in sports.

oregon will deal with their problems the way big boy programs deal with these issues. in boulder or berkeley, the best we could hope for is that the university didn't self-impose the death penalty for similar transgressions.

In Berkeley, the answer usually involves a symposium with copious amounts of navel gazing and self-righteous indignation, followed by an order from the chair to hug things out.

let us serve as a warning, bear. we are what you could easily become: distracted fan base, hostile academic community, surrounded by a town of folks who don't really have much interest in sports.

Not sure a warning will do much good they've been throwing that party for a few years.

most fans just hate other schools and their fans. we hate ourselves. having once been great and then having fallen this low, our self-loathing knows no bounds. we're also a very self-involved fan base so all subjects eventually come around to us discussing us. because we love ourselves almost as much as we hate ourselves.

some call it cannibalism. perhaps. the restaurant on campus is the "alferd packer grill" so cannibalism befits us.

oregon will deal with their problems the way big boy programs deal with these issues. in boulder or berkeley, the best we could hope for is that the university didn't self-impose the death penalty for similar transgressions.

Wow, well phrased, with impressive self awareness and honesty. After a year on AB and 8 months living in the Boulder area, the cynic in me (between 40 - 70% of my personality depending on the day) has come to similar conclusions. The non-cynic does like to think that Buff fans are going to bounce back as the football team improves -- I'll take a little self-righteous, entitled, Kool-Aid intoxicated bulls**t over here for a change of pace. After the Buffs have a few good seasons, I bet that over half of you are blowing so much sunshine that I can't tell your posts from 'Tini's.

Wow, well phrased, with impressive self awareness and honesty. After a year on AB and 8 months living in the Boulder area, the cynic in me (between 40 - 70% of my personality depending on the day) has come to similar conclusions. The non-cynic does like to think that Buff fans are going to bounce back as the football team improves -- I'll take a little self-righteous, entitled, Kool-Aid intoxicated bulls**t over here for a change of pace. After the Buffs have a few good seasons, I bet that over half of you are blowing so much sunshine that I can't tell your posts from 'Tini's.

We're gonna win?

Semper Gumby

A bunch of 35 year old in a circle jerk. But not a happy circle jerk. Just a bunch of dudes jerking away in anger while one poster tells us why we should be happy.

Other fans used to think that Buff fans are assholes mostly because of our football arrogance. We'll get it back.

Difference of UO & CU academics are marginal at best. Who gives a crap.
Dana Altman is an awful human who has no issue bringing in other awful humans for a competitive advantage.
This incident happened before the NCAA tourney and he knowingly brought in a player who was <6 months removed from assaulting another female (Austin).
Incinerate all of them, please.

One more reason why I know Tad is a straight-shooter is his obvious disdain for Dana.

Pump the brakes on this. The incident happened before the NCAA Tourney - yes. It happened on the night of the 8th. However, the girl didn't go to the police until the 13th. Oregon was eliminated on the 22nd. It's entirely possible that no one outside of the players knew that the police had been contacted until they were eliminated. I saw some reports that said that Oregon's AD didn't know about this until last week that I find hard to believe, but the 9 day gap wouldn't surprise me honestly. I do believe that there's a chance that Altman did not know about these allegations until after Oregon lost to Wisconsin.

The rest stands though.

Back