What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Things to do in Boulder on Game Day

absinthe

Ambitious but rubbish.
Club Member
Junta Member
With us moving to the Pac-12 (officially now) and a ton of new fans coming here to ask, I wanted to kick off a thread about our favorite Things to do in Boulder on football weekends, where the good tailgating is, which boulder bars and restaurants not to miss etc. I'll kick it off with a few quick resources:

CU Parking and Folsom Maps

Colorado Tailgating forum

Small warning: Some moderation, especially of off-topic posts will occur in this thread.

if you get in early enough head to the buff for saddlebags for breakfast... ****in amazing

Building an AllBuffs "Guide to CU & Boulder"

What are your favorite hotels (budget, location, etc.)?

What are your favorite restaurants (breakfast, cuisine types, etc.)?

What are your favorite things to do in Boulder (outdoor activities, day trips, sites, etc.)?

What are your favorite bars in Boulder (type of crowd, live music, pool, etc.)?

What are some of the things on the CU campus you'd recommend visitors should check out (either opposing team fans or future students)?

there's an echo around here...

Sort of. I didn't mean for it to be totally redundant. I can merge the threads, though.

This is good information for the site to have for people. Recruits and prospective students need the info. So do visiting fans from other teams as well as some of our own fans who haven't been "home" in a while. It would be great for AB to have this compiled in one place.

The Buff

Breakfast: The Buff28th & Canyon by Best WesternSignature dish: "Saddlebags" are pancakes with sausage or bacon in the batter. Egg over easy in-between cakes.Was featured in Boulder version of Man vs Food. Ranked in Best of Boulder. Get there early, as line gets pretty long on game day morning. Good coffee and fresh OJ, too. Also have variety of egg / omlette choices featuring items like salmon in a Pacific Eggs Benedict. Pecan Carmel Quesadilla is something you don't see many other places.Menu: http://www.buffrestaurant.com/Buff_Menu.html

Tailgating:
If you're interested in attending the allbuffs tailgate, we set up at the grassy area at the NW corner of Farrand Hall in lot 358.

There are several options for visiting fans for tailgate locations. Both on and off campus parking is available.

From the CU site, here are the basic rules for tailgating during CU home games, along with transportation alternatives:

Tailgating
Tailgating is allowed in campus parking lot, but it is not permitted in parking structures. Drivers of vehicles blocking the smooth flow of traffic or posing a safety risk may be asked to relocate.
  • State law prohibits the selling of alcoholic beverages by persons/establishments that are not in possession of a valid liquor license. "Selling" in this context means "to deliver for value or in any way other than gratuitously" (excerpt from CRS 12-47-103 {34}).
  • Distribution of alcoholic beverages by tailgaters should be limited to those persons traveling to and from the game with them. Tailgaters should not provide alcoholic beverages to visibly intoxicated persons or to anyone less than 21 years of age.
  • Alcoholic beverages may not be taken into Folsom Stadium by patrons.
  • Once out of the tailgating area, persons in possession of open containers of alcoholic beverages may be charged with "open container" violations by police.
  • If you choose to drink alcoholic beverages, please do so responsibly:
    1. Alcohol is often a causative factor in stadium fight and disturbance calls to police.
    2. Do not drink and drive! Identify a "designated driver" for your tailgating party who will not consume alcoholic beverages.
  • There are restrictions on the items you may bring into the stadium. For information regarding stadium rules, please click here.
RV Parking
  • RV parking is available in lot 470, west of the Wolf Law building.
  • RV parking fees are $20 per space occupied. Large RVs can occupy two or three parking spaces. They are charged accordingly.
  • RVs should arrive early. They will be allowed to park only if contiguous space is available.
  • Overnight parking is not allowed on campus. To view a table of RV parking options in Boulder County, visit Boulder County RV Parking.
Limousine Parking Attendants will direct limousines to a reserved lot. Limosines will be charged $20 per space occupied.
Ride the Bus

CU's Buff Bus CU's Buff Bus shuttle for students operates on an alternate route during football games. The alternate route starts three hours before football games and lasts one hour after the game. For additional information, visit our Buff Bus page.
BuffRide
  • Whether you are coming from Longmont or the Denver Metro Area, you can catch the BuffRide starting 2 ¼ hours before kickoff at these participating park-n-Rides: Avoca, Cold Spring, Nine Mile, Southmoor, Superior/Louisville, Roosevelt, and the Longmont Terminal. For additional information, visit the RTD website.
  • BuffRide round trip fare is $6.50 - $8. You'll need exact change. Coupons, tokens, the student bus pass and the faculty-staff Eco-pass are not accepted. Children five and under ride free.
  • Visit cubuffs.com Gameday Central for much more including an RTD BuffRide printable brochure.
Boulder Buff ShuttleIf you’d rather drive to Boulder, you can park at the Table Mesa park-n-Ride and ride the Buff Shuttle to the game for $3 round-trip.
Other RTD ServicesRide the Hop or the Skip to the game. Get on a bus near home or park in downtown Boulder parking garages. To learn more, visit GO Boulder's website.

Here's a (kind of ******) parking map. This is for non-permitted parking only. If you're interested in obtaining a parking permit, you should contact the athletic department directly.

football_parking.jpg

Sort of. I didn't mean for it to be totally redundant. I can merge the threads, though.

This is good information for the site to have for people. Recruits and prospective students need the info. So do visiting fans from other teams as well as some of our own fans who haven't been "home" in a while. It would be great for AB to have this compiled in one place.

No worries we should ramp this up into a what to do in boulder for the weekend you visit thread. For those of you that do -post any color or detail is a huge help.

Rep to all solid contributions.

As a general rule, if you're going to be parking in one of the non-permitted lots, I'd personally recommend the Grandview lots. The walk to the stadium is nicer, and you'll be closer to downtown Boulder and Pearl Street if you park there.

If you're coming into town a day or two early, I might also recommend attending one of the high school games at Recht Field. Either Boulder (the good guys) or Fairview (BOOOOO!!!!) play pretty much every Friday night at 7:00 PM. Tickets are reasonably cheap (I think they're like $5). If you happen to be in town for the BHS/FHS game, get there early. This game attracts a very big crowd.

If you're at a BHS game, be sure to heckle the chain crew. We take criticism really well.

Restaurant/bar - K's China. The drinks are ridiculously cheap and the view is one of the best in Boulder.

If you're coming into town a day or two early, I might also recommend attending one of the high school games at Recht Field. Either Boulder (the good guys) or Fairview (BOOOOO!!!!) play pretty much every Friday night at 7:00 PM. Tickets are reasonably cheap (I think they're like $5). If you happen to be in town for the BHS/FHS game, get there early. This game attracts a very big crowd.

If you're at a BHS game, be sure to heckle the chain crew. We take criticism really well - especially from Dave Logan, who is a coaching GOD.
added needed clarification. :bounce:

I wasn't meaning to give you a hard time, I thought it was funny. I think the 2 threads popped up pretty much at the same time - both great ideas.

Go to the Pearl street stampede the night before the game and watch the band. Maybe dinner at Old Chicago.

Before the game you can see the band again play in balch fieldhouse. A good place to eat pre-game if not tailgating is Turleys off Pearl and 28th. Good bloody marys!

I always get there early to grab free parking on the hill. A good spot is on 18th street.

My various victory haunts include: the Dark Horse, Johnny's Cigar Bar, Back Country Pizza, and the Kitchen/Upstairs.

I wasn't meaning to give you a hard time, I thought it was funny. I think the 2 threads popped up pretty much at the same time - both great ideas.

I didn't take it that you were. Made sense to consolidate, though. :smile:

High Tea (Late Lunch or early dinner). Great place to shake off a loss.

The Boulder Dushambe Teahouse (The Doosh!)
1770 13th St

http://www.boulderteahouse.com/menu.html

The most amazing interior in Boulder. Sister city Dushambe Tajikistan gifted Boulder an authentic central Asian tea house, and shipped over an intricate carved wood interior. (In return, Boulder sent an Internet cafe)

a6cd08aa-8cb2-6113.jpg

a6cd08aa-8e8f-157f.jpg

a6cd08aa-8f0b-4947.jpg

There are a bazillion different types of tea for sale. Prepare to face your tea ignorance.

The chef does a great job mixing up Indian, Mediterranean, Asian and American fare. Try the hummus. Get loaded on the Mojitos. Stay for dinner.

This is the place to sit for two or three hours and catch up with old friends in a completely non-football environment for when your team loses.

Liquor Mart
1750 15th Street
http://www.liquormart.com/

The day before the game, it's imperative to buy your booze at Liquor Mart.

This may be one of the bigger liquor stores many will ever set foot inside.

It's proximity to campus is a contributing factor of CU's #1 Party School ranking. Former CUAD Thorpe was part owner.

Rent your tailgate keg. Shop for exotic brews. Get a handle on your handles.

Grocery carts available.

Your eyes will be big as silver dollars and your liver will hate you.

a6cd08aa-9252-5e7d.jpg

If you like good beer (who doesn't?) and you are looking for a bar with unique Boulder touches that you do not necessarily find everywhere else, try the Mountain Sun Brewery on Pearl or its offshoot, the Southern Sun at Broadway/Table Mesa. Be sure to bring cash (no credit cards accepted) and people you like (no TVs).

If you like good beer (who doesn't?) and you are looking for a bar with unique Boulder touches that you do not necessarily find everywhere else, try the Mountain Sun Brewery on Pearl or its offshoot, the Southern Sun at Broadway/Table Mesa. Be sure to bring cash and people you like (no TVs).

+1. Great effing Beer.

Dark Horse. Go there. Eat food, watch games, drink damn good beer for a decent price (or bad beer for even cheaper) and take in one of the all time unique establishments.

http://darkhorsebar.com/

Oh, and have a jiffy burger. I promise, you will love it :nod:

A Boulder landmark since 1975, this unique food-and-beverage emporium is adored with movie props and turn of the century antiques. Dine indoors or on the patio with a spectacular view of the flatirons. Our bar features microbrews, domestics and quality spirits. Come in to watch your favorite sporting event on one of the 11 HD TVs or the projection TV in the back bar for special events. You can also play on the pool tables, air hockey, foosball and video games.Chosen as “Places to eat a burger worthy of paradise” by the USA Today.
The Dark Horse is truly one of a kind.
P1010018.jpg

Back