What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This is all about Hawaii

I disagree. With the level of pessimism on this board if we were 5-0 people would still be bitching that Sefo isn't P5 conf level qb and he will get killed when we play the "good" teams in the P12, and MM has just been lucky with a weak schedule up to this point but he's going to suck the rest of the season and now we'll have to live with him next year until he can finally get fired.

It's one FURKING game people!!!

I disagree. With the level of pessimism on this board if we were 5-0 people would still be bitching that Sefo isn't P5 conf level qb and he will get killed when we play the "good" teams in the P12, and MM has just been lucky with a weak schedule up to this point but he's going to suck the rest of the season and now we'll have to live with him next year until he can finally get fired.

It's one FURKING game people!!!

I disagree. If we were sitting on 5-0 we would be getting some national attention and I would be excited about our prospects of winning in Tempe instead of just anxious to see if we can at least be competitive.

Last two years sefo's has been doing well with the long ball. This year he's working on his progressions but is often over looking the deep threat to take the easy, shorter passes. I think it has cut his turnovers down, but he's missing some big play opportunities.

What's frustrating is that two years ago he was hyped big time. Now we are seeing pretty much the same qb, and we expected one who could be a pro prospect.

Hopefully he finds that happy medium between taking risk and choosing the smart play. He's re writing the qb record books, but he's not the dynamic player that Joel klatt was, too.

One more year to see what he's got.

I still don't get why Sefo is getting so much blame. The passing game was certainly not our problem against Oregon. Plus Sefo had two of the biggest runs of the night for us. We couldn't run the ball and we couldn't stop the run, that's why we lost. Yet everyone wants to blame Sefo...?

I must not have been watching the same game.

You weren't. I Rewatched the game. He threw 12 bad balls, some were caught, but receiver had to go knee down. He threw numerous balls away and/or ate the ball due to pressure when he had safety-valves wide open. Our TE was sitting in the middle of the field all day and he was missed several times. Sefo stepped up into the pocket, and had time to throw to #81 for 10 yard gains several times.

Our depth across the board is almost P5 like (not saying the same as the elite, but at least having guys who've been in the program a few years and are arguable D1 level talents). We have capable backups at many positions. Most teams are expected to be "next guy up", but we are still a bit away from this. Closer, but not able to absorb injuries to some key positions. We are as bad as our weakest link.
We can bemoan all day long the gaps in our talent, but that's not the biggest issue. It's our weakest link, which is always when we've had injuries where we have no depth.

We get killed not because we don't have enough guys who are going to someday play in "the league" but because we are forced to play guys who may not be able to play in "this league". And by that I mean D1, not even P5.

Last year it was Safety that hurt us badly. This year, we are swimming in safeties as Moeller and White are no longer freshmen and we've added Laguda and Bell (back). Now it's LB and OT.

Last edited:
To me it is not about Hawaii. It is about watching this team and realizing it is not very good. Youth is no longer an excuse, we were suppose to be bigger and stronger, attrition was no longer a problem, these were all sold to us as key points in rebuilding the program and now it appears the foundation really is not there. CSU was almost as depressing as Hawaii except we won but it showed we were not on par with the rest of the conference.

This is about lost of hope.

Our depth across the board is almost P5 like (not saying the same as the elite, but at least having guys who've been in the program a few years and are arguable D1 level talents). We have capable backups at many positions. Most teams are expected to be "next guy up", but we are still a bit away from this. Closer, but not able to absorb injuries to some key positions. We are as bad as our weakest link.
We can bemoan all day long the gaps in our talent, but that's not the biggest issue. It's our weakest link, which is always when we've had injuries where we have no depth.

We get killed not because we don't have enough guys who are going to someday play in "the league" but because we are forced to play guys who may not be able to play in "this league". And by that I mean D1, not even P5.

Last year it was Safety that hurt us badly. This year, we are swimming in safeties as Moeller and White are no longer freshmen and we've added Laguda and Bell (back). Now it's LB and OT.

so it's mostly just bad luck and bad timing?

I still don't get why Sefo is getting so much blame. The passing game was certainly not our problem against Oregon. Plus Sefo had two of the biggest runs of the night for us. We couldn't run the ball and we couldn't stop the run, that's why we lost. Yet everyone wants to blame Sefo...?

Fumble was huge. We were about to score and tie the game. He also rarely leads us on scoring drives to start a half. Always behind the ball so to speak and never in front of it. He is what he is, Hawaiian for Pick (or Fumble) 6.

Had 3 turnovers against Hawaii and Oregon each, and crap special teams play. Oregon with 14 points off of turnovers, and I believe Hawaii had 10, plus the touchdown after the blocked punt. Its why we're not 5-0 or 4-1. Even with the LB situation far from optimal I feel like the defense has done its job for the most part, and gave us a chance to win in the 2 losses.

Good post, Rugged. That Hawaii loss looms large, would have been nice to exorcise the road demons.

Well put Rugged. Hawaii was a major major disappointment and has really set this season back a long ways. This team needs a conference win in a bad way and I think the longer they go before getting one, the harder it will be for them to think they can win one.

Just so tired of looking for or hearing excuses for why we suck and I do agree with you Rugged. It happened to be the very 1st game of course, there, another excuse.

Good analysis, the allbuffs bench is deep. Who knows where we'd be with 2* mods?

I thought he played well in the second quarter but couldn't hit or find open guys as much in the second half. He looks uncomfortable, even when he has time. Each time he runs I cringe because it usually happens after indecisiveness, unwillingness to make a tight pass, and not being able to make a play.

I wish I could find first half vs second half statistics. It thought we put the defense back on the field constantly in the third quarter and screwed the D (hehehe.) It also felt like we ran alright in the first half, and abandoned it again in the second half. (Didn't we pass three times in our first series of the 3rd quarter?)

^^^ it works when that idiot does it. Maybe it only doesn't work when admins or moderators tag me.

Back