What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This is not good

Well, their priority is money. And, for CU athletics to continue to be self supporting, the football team and, to a lesser degree, basketball team need to make money. They only way to do that is to win. Therfore, indirectly, the admin probably wants a winner.

How bad do they want a winner versus, say, create the best medical facility between Houston and Seattle?

I see Benson being very focused on the issue of showing the value of the university in terms of job creation. His story line centers on the number of jobs that have sprung up around the CU medical center.
The case he is making to the legislature is that the university is an important engine for job growth. Fund us, and it strengthens the state.

He is not connecting the dots between success on the football field and the success of the university. I wish he would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shut the **** up. Of course, I'll be the one ripped for this post. But, seriously, this **** is getting really old.

Let me know how you really feel.

FWIW, I completely agree with you in regards to the name calling, I don't think I've ever referred to Hawk as anything other than Hawk, Dan, Coach, hell I don't even know what else I'd call him. Always nice to be name called by you though, the irony is overwhelming.

Last edited:
Let me know how you really feel.

FWIW, I completely agree with you in regards to the name calling, I don't think I've ever referred to Hawk as anything other than Hawk, Dan, Coach, hell I don't even know what else I'd call him. Always nice to be name called by you though, the irony is overwhelming.
Please except my apology. I was pissed and under the influence, :lol:. I'm trying to be a better person than that.

:lol: it happens, no worries. Speaking of drinking, it's playoff time and I'm fresh out of beer. This is a problem.

Maybe two or three in this thread, but every frigging thread has several and it just adds up after a while.

The namecalling is stupid. I might have used it every now and then, but I generally just refer to him by name. My problem is that you treat any negativity (even legitimate stuff) as all the same thing. It is not.

Pretty much. Maybe I don't expect the "rallying around" thing as much as I hate the "taking shots at" thing. It does not serve our program well when even the "fans" are taking shots all the time. That is my point. Listen, I do a lot of what I think is good natured jabbing at you guys. But, really, I mean it, usually, in a good natured sense. But for CU fans on a CU message board to continually put the program down, via Hawkins, serves no good purpose. And I just am getting tired of it.

Yeah, I lose it sometimes. Especially after a couple of shots of tequila. Sorry about that. And, no, I don't want "sunshine and Skittles." I want a winning program and am really concerned about the direction we are headed. But continually ripping Hawkins with inane name calling is just getting old. But I am concerned about "win/loss" and recruiting. I still think Hawkins can coach, though.

See how easy it was to diverge from my opinions? I have no problem with taking shots, but as I think it was Junc said, it's all over in lots of threads, and it takes an unimaginative mind to repeat yourself ad nauseum.

Hawkins, coach? Evidence, please.

We can complain, call names, throw fits, or whatever else we want to do but it is not going to change the climate in the AD right now. Benson has given Bohn his orders and those orders are to keep Hawkins as HC for the upcoming season.

I see this as a purely political decision. In consideration of the budget situation in the state of Colorado and the pressure on the higher ed budget, Benson did not want to expend the energy to defend the AD or explain how AD money is separate from university general funds and generated by the AD separately from the general fund. He did not want to explain a $3M plus buyout following the $3M plus buyout of Barnett in this climate.

What I am interested to see is the response following next years general election in Nov. My hope and guess is that Bohn (or whoever is in the position) will be given more freedom to make a decision and follow through with it. The buyout on Hawk will become what is seen as a $2M pricetag instead of the $3M from this year. If the record is disappointing again it will be his fifth year instead of his fourth. The AD will also be able to show a significant number of donors who have withdrawn support and a decrease in ticket sales and other revenue, thus making the effect tangible not hypothetical.

On the other side, the university will also be feeling the impact of the loss of positive publicity created by a successful FB program. Without the election immediately hanging over the administration the pressure changes.

An earlier poster in this thread brought up the Iowa program and stated that Iowa has likely topped out. Even if this is true (probably) you can't argue with the results. Iowa fans nationwide are wearing their team gear and talking about the program. They got more TV exposure this year than they had in most 5 year periods. The positive impact on the university will be felt for years and across the entire institution. It is easier for people to donate to all parts of the university when they feel like they can brag about their relation to the university instead of dreading the insults and jokes of those whose teams are enjoying success at their expense.

The history of CU athletics has been one of political up and down cycles. Unlike an Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa, Alabama, etc. CU football is not the focus of the states pride and image athletically, the Broncos and to a lesser extent the Rockies enjoy that distinction. At times excellence has been a priority and the program has had the administrative support needed to compete. At other times winning has been a lower priority with an attitude that no news is good news and losing is okay as long as we don't have to appologize for anything else (like spending money.)

The positive thing we can look at despite the fact that we are clearly in a down cycle politically is that these cycles can and do usually turn positive fairly quickly. University presidents tend to have short terms in office and Benson will not be there for much more time. One way a new president can get a positive start with the supporters and major donors to the university is to make a commitment to improving the athletic program, especially FB.

You damned well know, if you've paid attention, that I was thrwoing that "dickwad" and "douchebag" stuff around as a joke. But I've stopped using those terms long ago since guys like you keep throwing it in my face as if I was serious. I no longer use those terms other than, maybe once or twice, as an obvious poke of fun at myself. But all the name calling toward Hawkins is not in jest.

You should damned well know Buffnik was joking around.

Judas F. Priest! I wish I had more rep to offer Rugged for this moment of briliance. In one line he pointed out to DBT the hypocracy of assuming everyone understands his jokes when he's incapable of understanding their's--even when it's the same joke! Furthermore he mimicked DBT's language in doing so. Wow...just allsome!

ENTPs rule!

**** DAN HAWKINS and DBT, THAT SOB had better be no worse than 4-3 going into the oklahoma game or i'm going to go patton on you!!!!!!!!!!

Judas F. Priest! I wish I had more rep to offer Rugged for this moment of briliance. In one line he pointed out to DBT the hypocracy of assuming everyone understands his jokes when he's incapable of understanding their's--even when it's the same joke! Furthermore he mimicked DBT's language in doing so. Wow...just allsome!

ENTPs rule!

Is this meant to be literal, as in Karzai, al-Maliki, and Georgie Jr. rule(d)?

Is this meant to be literal, as in Karzai, al-Maliki, and Georgie Jr. rule(d)?

Perhaps I should have said:

ENTP's have great ideas and like to talk about then! And then we get drunk!

Oh, occassionally we conquer, if we're inspired, ala Alexander the Great.

**** DAN HAWKINS and DBT, THAT SOB had better be no worse than 4-3 going into the oklahoma game or i'm going to go patton on you!!!!!!!!!!

DBT better be better than 4-3 at (something?) going into the Oklahoma game or you're going to make him miss free throws and run totally chaotic offensive schemes???? I'm not quite understanding that, but knock yourself out.... :lol:

Perhaps I should have said:

ENTP's have great ideas and like to talk about then! And then we get drunk!

Oh, occassionally we conquer, if we're inspired, ala Alexander the Great.

Ah, so it's more of a cockalorum thing. (BTW, one of my most favorite words, so try no to take it personally - I just had to find a way to share. :smile2:)

Ah, so it's more of a cockalorum thing. (BTW, one of my most favorite words, so try no to take it personally - I just had to find a way to share. :smile2:)

zbuff LOVES the cockalorum... :lol:

NTTIAWWT, of course... :thumbsup:

DBT better be better than 4-3 at (something?) going into the Oklahoma game or you're going to make him miss free throws and run totally chaotic offensive schemes???? I'm not quite understanding that, but knock yourself out.... :lol:

I claim a lack of sobriety on that post....

Yes, I made it until about 3 then crashed. Had a few and was listening to some music and got pissed about hawk and posted...

I went through that stage for a while, but have moved on.....I guess that means I have written off any chance of Buff football getting back on track for many years to come...

I went through that stage for a while, but have moved on.....I guess that means I have written off any chance of Buff football getting back on track for many years to come...

What stage are you talking about? Getting hammered or getting ticked off about hawk? I hope cu can get a winning season and win a bowl game next year, I don't think it will happen with hawk as head coach but come august I'll be hoping for a better 2010.

What stage are you talking about? Getting hammered or getting ticked off about hawk? I hope cu can get a winning season and win a bowl game next year, I don't think it will happen with hawk as head coach but come august I'll be hoping for a better 2010.

The latter.....certainly not the former...

ENTPs rule!

I wish you had more rep too. You're apparently the only one who recognizes my post as brilliant. Thanks for the invisible "A"!!

That was the main definition they had. But that one definitely doesn't apply, so I was trying to find one that would support your prediction it applied to me.

I'm sorry my efforts to save you embarassment weren't appreciated... :cry:

:lol:

The other point I'd make is that it's a shame from a personal and social perspective that folks like Chilli, Unleash, BEBG, Blaise, and others no longer choose to contribute. The social value of this very site and the relevancy of Allbuffs takes a hit when we linger too long in the vegitave negative state.

What is there to contribute when it is SOSDD? There is a lot of recycled talk in here. The point of the thread is new - it does suck that outsiders are noticing. I have no idea if this particular writer is completely unbiased, or knows a Buff fan with this perspective. Either way, It is hard to see in print.

I'm not going to argue with you about the propaganda and dishonesty that was displayed by the admin following the blue out. It was disgusting.

But I also know that the blue out is something that a lot of fans simply would not, could not do at that point in time. Wearing blue "didn't feel right" was a very common opinion among the majority of fans. Part of that reluctance to wear blue in protest is because CU is BnG in victory or defeat.

I am curious to know how many in the "never blue" camp sold their tickets to Nebraska fans, and how that ratio stacks up against the "CU Blues" crowd.

The problem with the blue out was always that the message can and WILL be interpreted individually due to human nature. I was not in support of anything that can cause the student athletes to feel as if ANY Buff fan was not 100% behind them. It was a reasonable risk of the idea -- despite its best intentions.

Back