What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This one hurts

I'm effing pissed. Not blaming this all on Sefo but take away that awful pick-6 and if he hits Spruce on 3rd down in 3rd quarter (where he airmailed it). Different ballgame. These little effing mistakes are killing this team. And then in the post game interview Sefo acts like it's nothing and he can't go wait to drink.
I am with you. Sefo has played that card so often.....I'm not buying it. He builds his stats (if you like the dink and dunk passes) but seriously folds when it counts. How many game winning drives.....just a rhetorical question.......
Tough kid, Yada Yada, can't win (period)

Not sure if it's still there and it's not Italian (but it's relatively close to North Beach) but House of Nanking is a must stop. Don't order off the menu. Just tell the waiter what protein you want and enjoy what they bring you.
I'm not falling for the ol' "surprise me with protein" gag.

It means the defense gave all they had and Lindgren thought he would show he was smarter than everyone else.

I like our defense and I love how much it has improved under Leavitt, but you can't give the defense a pass like that. The offense kept them off the field for a vast majority of the game, they only had to make about half as many stops as they did last week, and instead they gave up some back-breaking plays. ****, the game-winning drive for UCLA went 70+ yards in 3 plays.

They had some good moments, but the defense in a lot of ways was as bad as than the offense today.

I like our defense and I love how much it has improved under Leavitt, but you can't give the defense a pass like that. The offense kept them off the field for a vast majority of the game, they only had to make about half as many stops as they did last week, and instead they gave up some back-breaking plays. ****, the game-winning drive for UCLA went 70+ yards in 3 plays.

They had some good moments, but the defense in a lot of ways was as bad as than the offense today.
Touche'. I'll give you that.

UCLA's screen pass for a touchdown on 3rd and long in the first half was painful. Thought they had the play stopped behind the line of scrimmage.

UCLA's screen pass for a touchdown on 3rd and long in the first half was painful. Thought they had the play stopped behind the line of scrimmage.

Screen plays and draws on 3rd and long are not necessarily called to get first downs. They're called to get as many yards as possible while still avoiding risk. I call them 'give up plays'.

Giving up a TD on a screen play like that is just unforgivable.

Screen plays and draws on 3rd and long are not necessarily called to get first downs. They're called to get as many yards as possible while still avoiding risk. I call them 'give up plays'.

Giving up a TD on a screen play like that is just unforgivable.

It is also what happens when you are weak at LB. Run the DBs out of the play, let the DL rush upfield, and force the LBs to make a play. Ours didn't and we lose another game.

I think that Falo is going to be a good one and Watanabe could be a monster for us but Gamboa is a step slow and all of them are inexperienced enough to sucker into bad plays.

What has to happen is that CU needs to win one of these games that nobody - even themselves - expects to win. Next week vs. Stanford would be a good place to start.

Sadly, WSU looks like they are going to play spoiler to us again. They are really taking it to Stanford which doesn't bode well for us next week.

Sadly, WSU looks like they are going to play spoiler to us again. They are really taking it to Stanford which doesn't bode well for us next week.
That's what everyone said about Oregon after Utah rolled them. Didn't make Oregon come out more strongly against the Buffs, just exposed their weakness. I expect a close game with Stanford next Saturday.

Don't get your hopes up. I did that and it stung me too many times.

Mentally prepare for a loss until 0 seconds left

That's what everyone said about Oregon after Utah rolled them. Didn't make Oregon come out more strongly against the Buffs, just exposed their weakness. I expect a close game with Stanford next Saturday.

Hogan is going to shred the Buffs D, 112 Yds tonight. We can't contain a running QB.

Shows you want an explosive offense can do. Two of their 4 offensive TDs were 30+ yard plays the last one was set up by a 60+ yard play. CU had one truly explosive play to Ross last night (I guess Irwin's catch too). An offense that can score in one play can get dominated in all facets and still win.

The problem I have is that we have guys who can get open deep for these big plays and have done it multiple times. Why are we not attempting more?

Shows you want an explosive offense can do. Two of their 4 offensive TDs were 30+ yard plays the last one was set up by a 60+ yard play. CU had one truly explosive play to Ross last night (I guess Irwin's catch too). An offense that can score in one play can get dominated in all facets and still win.

The problem I have is that we have guys who can get open deep for these big plays and have done it multiple times. Why are we not attempting more?
I think it's taken some time and Sefo getting healthy to see the "home run hitters" and mentality begin to emerge. Fields, for instance, is emerging as a big play guy and is being used that way more often.

I have to disagree

To highlight this point's accuracy, Sefo is tied for 56th in the country in number of completions greater than 20 yards. That won't cut it.
https://rotogrinders.com/pages/college-football-advanced-stats-quarterbacks-175021

Because the line can't protect long enough for those plays to develop. They have attempted more, but they are resulting in sacks.

I watched the last quarter of the CU game at my Husker neighbor's house (kids bday party, so piss bombs weren't in the cards & besides they indulged me by turning the channel to our game). They had just watched the blackshirts get 55 dropped on them by ****ing Purdue. At one point, when we had the lead & I was lamenting about how we tend to give away games in the 4th, one of them commented, "Hell, I'd take your coach right now."

Because the line can't protect long enough for those plays to develop. They have attempted more, but they are resulting in sacks.
Then they need to leave a RB and TE in for max protection. They have to try to get more vertical with their passing game. The 5 yard slant or 10 yard comebacks to Spruce are becoming this year's version of the bubble screen in 2014. Teams are sitting on those routes, daring us to beat them over the top.

Oops, I see Stanford pulled out the W...thought that was final with WSU ahead. No matter either way for the Buff game.

Then they need to leave a RB and TE in for max protection. They have to try to get more vertical with their passing game. The 5 yard slant or 10 yard comebacks to Spruce are becoming this year's version of the bubble screen in 2014. Teams are sitting on those routes, daring us to beat them over the top.

They've tried that too. Even when that has given protection, it limits the deep game because there aren't enough guys out in the route to put the safeties to a decision and the WRs get double covered. This pretty much limits things to a deep fly pattern and hoping the WR outruns everyone or gets open quickly enough that the ball can be dropped into the window before the safety can get there to help. When's the last time we've seen time for a post-corner or corner-post route to develop?

They've tried that too. Even when that has given protection, it limits the deep game because there aren't enough guys out in the route to put the safeties to a decision and the WRs get double covered. This pretty much limits things to a deep fly pattern and hoping the WR outruns everyone or gets open quickly enough that the ball can be dropped into the window before the safety can get there to help. When's the last time we've seen time for a post-corner or corner-post route to develop?
Well, those last two routes typically rely on a play action, seven step drop from under center and Cu's offense doesn't feature much of that.

Also, when they leave in max protect and run 2 man routes, the deep threat isn't reliant on other receivers drawing the safeties. It's predicated on the safeties cheating down and/or biting on play action. It's two separate designs.

Well, those last two routes typically rely on a play action, seven step drop from under center and Cu's offense doesn't feature much of that.

Also, when they leave in max protect and run 2 man routes, the deep threat isn't reliant on other receivers drawing the safeties. It's predicated on the safeties cheating down and/or biting on play action. It's two separate designs.

That's kind of what I'm saying. We don't see deep combo routes. Simple stuff like having an inside receiver run a corner with an outside receiver coming underneath him to run a post -- forcing that safety to take one of them and giving our QB a simple read. Anything over 20 yards is going to be a basic sideline fly pattern and, maybe, the occasional seam pass. That's all got to be due to a lack of faith in the pass protection because I can't believe that any OC working at this level can be that uncreative in route design.

At least they're not quitting like they have in recent years. I'll give them that!

We're seeing improvement. The offensive numbers put up yesterday. The next big lesson our team will learn is to FINISH!

I'm fine with another year of Mac. This isn't a dumpster fire. We seem close to a bowl team. A senior QB led team next year should finally get us wins in games like yesterday.

Hahaha. Saem ole story. Mac is crap, Sefo sucks, def gives up huge plays. It all starts at top. Mac needs to go. Get a real coach in here and a real qb. Pathetic. Same story every week!!!!

Back