What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This Season is Special - ENJOY IT

Darth Snow

Hawaiian Buffalo
Club Member
Junta Member
19-5. Best start in CU history through 24 games. Only seasons that are comparable to this one so far are either teams that won titles or Chauncey's team. And Chauncey's team is only in the discussion because it had chauncey and beat Indiana. From all seasons since the Big 8 was a thing and forward:

1961-62: 19-7 (Big 8 champ at 13-1). 11-0 at home. 6-4 away. 2-3 neutral.
1962-63: 19-7 (Shared Big 8 champs @ 11-3). 12-0 at home. 4-5 away. 3-2 neutral.

1968-69: 22-8 (big 8 champs @ 10-4). 12-0 at home. 7-6 away. 3-2 neutral. This is CU's last time they won a regular season title. 50 years ago. CU has not been close since. Not even a contender.

None of these teams did much in the tournament. None won more than 1 game. One team even lost to CSU.

Nearly 30 years later...

1996-97: 22-10 (11-5 B12, 2d by a mile to 15-1 KU). This season included CU's first road win over a ranked team since 1973. It included the tournament win over Indiana before losing to north carolina by nearly 20 in the 2d round.

Patton had another 20 win team, but it was 9-7 in conference.

I say this not to jinx the season, but so we can appreciate what we are seeing. We've got a tough slate to end the season. 5 road games out of 7. But goddamn this team is fun and at 9-3 in conference is absolutely in position to do something special. ****, CU has never won more than 2 games in the NCAA tournament, and that was ONLY ONCE in 1954-55 when we lost to ****in San Francisco in the 3d round.

ENJOY THIS.

Psst: kenpom has our projected record up to 24-7, 13-5 in the P12.

(****, Zona is projected to take the title from us at 13-5 with the tie breaker).

Last edited:
19-5. Best start in CU history through 24 games. Only seasons that are comparable to this one so far are either teams that won titles or Chauncey's team. And Chauncey's team is only in the discussion because it had chauncey and beat Indiana. From all seasons since the Big 8 was a thing and forward:

1961-62: 19-7 (Big 8 champ at 13-1). 11-0 at home. 6-4 away. 2-3 neutral.
1962-63: 19-7 (Shared Big 8 champs @ 11-3). 12-0 at home. 4-5 away. 3-2 neutral.

1968-69: 22-8 (big 8 champs @ 10-4). 12-0 at home. 7-6 away. 3-2 neutral. This is CU's last time they won a regular season title. 50 years ago. CU has not been close since. Not even a contender.

None of these teams did much in the tournament. None won more than 1 game. One team even lost to CSU.

Nearly 30 years later...

1996-97: 22-10 (11-5 B12, 2d by a mile to 15-1 KU). This season included CU's first road win over a ranked team since 1973. It included the tournament win over Indiana before losing to north carolina by nearly 20 in the 2d round.

Patton had another 20 win team, but it was 9-7 in conference.

I say this not to jinx the season, but so we can appreciate what we are seeing. We've got a tough slate to end the season. 5 road games out of 7. But goddamn this team is fun and at 9-3 in conference is absolutely in position to do something special. ****, CU has never won more than 2 games in the NCAA tournament, and that was ONLY ONCE in 1954-55 when we lost to ****in San Francisco in the 3d round.

ENJOY THIS.

Psst: kenpom has our projected record up to 24-7, 13-5 in the P12.

(****, Zona is projected to take the title from us at 13-5 with the tie breaker).
Them getting wrecked at home won't hurt

You were saying? :cool:
giphy.gif

Its ironic, I had the brew she had the Chronic..... The Nuggets beat the Supersonics(ummmmm, well the Suns but...)

Agreed on the OP. One of those seasons to sit back and enjoy. Anyone who has followed this program the way we AllBuffers have deserve a season like this. So much fun!

Sure is pretty looking at the standings and seeing the Buffs in 1st!

That's insane and will make you miserable. Good luck
It is not insane. The P12 isn’t good. Even in a big year like this one, the P12 isn’t that good. Colorado should expect to make the NCAA Tournament. Low expectations are what make people miserable. This season should be the norm, not the exception. Hopefully we don’t have to wait four years again to make the tournament after this one.

How is it proving me wrong? The standard is the NCAA tournament. Every season.
We do need to get to enjoy some runs.

But I don't like tourney performance being the standard. The standard is season performance and making the Dance. Once you get there, it's a crap shoot. So many programs make monumental mistakes by hiring coaches (and paying up) based on a Dance run. Or doing what UCLA did -- after Howland made the Final Four in years 3, 4 & 5 they didn't get out of the 2nd round the next 5 years so they fired him for going 25-10 and winning the Pac-12.

We do need to get to enjoy some runs.

But I don't like tourney performance being the standard. The standard is season performance and making the Dance. Once you get there, it's a crap shoot. So many programs make monumental mistakes by hiring coaches (and paying up) based on a Dance run. Or doing what UCLA did -- after Howland made the Final Four in years 3, 4 & 5 they didn't get out of the 2nd round the next 5 years so they fired him for going 25-10 and winning the Pac-12.
I agree - the tournament is a one and done crapshoot. I’ve been consistent: GETTING to the tournament is the standard. Qualifying to the tournament is an indication of how well your season went. Expecting Colorado to be one of the best 68 teams in the country is not onerous IMO.

I'm enjoying it, going better than I expected. I figured we'd have a good season, but there's a chance to push it further than that. It's not like CU is a freaking blue blood basketball program. Hope these young men make a run in the tournament, it would be cool to see.

I agree - the tournament is a one and done crapshoot. I’ve been consistent: GETTING to the tournament is the standard. Qualifying to the tournament is an indication of how well your season went. Expecting Colorado to be one of the best 68 teams in the country is not onerous IMO.
Yep. I think Tad's goals are what you're saying, too. We've become a 50% participant under Tad. I think that makes us around a Top 40 program in terms of consistency. But the next step is to be more like a 75% program that, more often than not, is a top 4 seed in the Pac-12 tourney. It's the next evolution of the program and while I think that's getting to pretty rarified air in college basketball (Top 25 program), I also believe it is achievable.

Yep. I think Tad's goals are what you're saying, too. We've become a 50% participant under Tad. I think that makes us around a Top 40 program in terms of consistency. But the next step is to be more like a 75% program that, more often than not, is a top 4 seed in the Pac-12 tourney. It's the next evolution of the program and while I think that's getting to pretty rarified air in college basketball (Top 25 program), I also believe it is achievable.
The number of teams who make the tourney every year is very very small. That's a top 10 standard

Gotta build the foundation before the house. They're working on it, but a lot of factors go into it, that I don't need to mention. If the football and basketball program can get to that point, we'll all be happier than a puppy with two peters. :D

The number of teams who make the tourney every year is very very small. That's a top 10 standard
I said 75%, not making it every year. So 7 or 8 bids in Tad's next decade. With that, 5 or 6 years the Buffs are a top 4 seed in the Pac-12 tourney.

It's rarified air and a big goal, but I don't think it's to the point of a Top 10 program. I could see that only being good enough to be the 3rd or 4th best program in the Pac-12 over that decade with those results.

That said, it's a goal of mine and not an expectation. It's also something I think Tad is capable of. At the end of his CU days, I think it's possible for him to end up in that Gene Keady/Gary Williams range on win % and whatnot.

I said 75%, not making it every year. So 7 or 8 bids in Tad's next decade. With that, 5 or 6 years the Buffs are a top 4 seed in the Pac-12 tourney.

It's rarified air and a big goal, but I don't think it's to the point of a Top 10 program. I could see that only being good enough to be the 3rd or 4th best program in the Pac-12 over that decade with those results.

That said, it's a goal of mine and not an expectation. It's also something I think Tad is capable of. At the end of his CU days, I think it's possible for him to end up in that Gene Keady/Gary Williams range on win % and whatnot.
Expectation of the tourney every year is unreasonable. I agree it should be the goal.

Expectation of the tourney every year is unreasonable. I agree it should be the goal.
Yeah. That's Duke & Kansas territory if we're saying every year. Would certainly be nice, but there are only a handful of P6 programs capable of reloading in that way and having the depth of talent to power through those seasons when a ton goes wrong with injuries or whatnot. I don't think we'll ever be that sort of program.

Yeah. That's Duke & Kansas territory if we're saying every year. Would certainly be nice, but there are only a handful of P6 programs capable of reloading in that way and having the depth of talent to power through those seasons when a ton goes wrong with injuries or whatnot. I don't think we'll ever be that sort of program.
Yup. If that's your expectation, you are bound to be disappointed and do things like advocate for getting rid of a head coach in the midst of the program's best season in your lifetime.

Why is it that CU hasn’t become a destination program for the McDonald’s AA types? Is it that we aren’t playing the graft and corruption game?

Back