What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This should make you mad. What is SI's beef with CU?

CU has become insignificant in college football for the last 7 years. Until we start winning on a regular basis that won't change.

But when has Indiana, Minnesota, or Vandy ever won on a regular basis?

I see you are stepping up your game Creatini. I like it.

On that note, when I went to ESPN to vote for CU as the surprise team in the Pac-12 this year, who did I notice debating in the comments area... but our own Creatini. And to my utter shock he was posting level-headed, reasonable arguments instead of smack. He actually brought people around a bit instead of napalming the discussion. I think his mom may have hijacked his accounts or something now that he's home from the dorms. Or maybe he's just sober for the first time in months. :lol:

Well, if I may give a semi-serious answer to a snarky question, it's because I'm the original. I started using that handle in the CUAD chat room back in 1995. There are others now using my handle on various CU sites. I've also seen someone spelling it Tatonka. If you see the trademark then you know it's the real thing. :gobuffs:

I like it, bro! You must protect this house (woops, I think I may have just violated some company Intellectual Property). That said, wasn't Dances with Wolves in 1988? I guess they slept on their rights!

I hate when SI picks us to do anything. I remember the year they picked us to win the National Title and we went like 5-6. I think that was when Slick left us high and dry. We had a killer recruiting class too. I hope we lay the beatdown to UCLA.

I hate when SI picks us to do anything. I remember the year they picked us to win the National Title and we went like 5-6. I think that was when Slick left us high and dry. We had a killer recruiting class too. I hope we lay the beatdown to UCLA.

i think the year before Rick's last was the SI year. Mission: Possible. Rick year 3....coming off the 2 10-2 years.

i think the year before Rick's last was the SI year. Mission: Possible. Rick year 3....coming off the 2 10-2 years.

You are probably right, I just remember it happening. That was his last season coaching tho right? I just remember having guys like Cory Redding ready to come on board.

You are probably right, I just remember it happening. That was his last season coaching tho right? I just remember having guys like Cory Redding ready to come on board.

No. He had one more season afterwards where we won 8 games and UW got a hardon for him.

oh yeah we beat Oregon in Hawaii or something?

i think we beat Oregon twice: in Rick year #2, Cotton Bowl and Holiday Bowl Rick #4. i don't remember it, but an Oregon guy i know says Rick faked a FG up a bunch and UO fans haven't forgotten it. and they want to bury us as payback (as though they didn't get us in 01 Fiesta).

Rick year 3 we are 5-6 and lose to 5 ranked teams. no excuse, because we were clearly not good enough to beat ranked teams....but, also, we aren't losing to Nebraska-Kearney either. still, a massive underachieving team.

I remember that game and think the Holiday Bowl was Washington, if I recall. Corey Dillon and them.

I believe it was The Sporting News and not SI that picked CU to win the MNC in 1997. CU had 53 letter men returning and 13 starters...things looked good but the wheels fell off.

I believe it was The Sporting News and not SI that picked CU to win the MNC in 1997. CU had 53 letter men returning and 13 starters...things looked good but the wheels fell off.

Im pretty sure it was SI, Ill check. I know we beat Washington in the Holiday Bowl and I think that was 96 maybe? Koy Detmer was our qb so Im thinking it was around there.

So I am reading through the justifications for the grades and I am having trouble understanding some of the arguments.

Not that I was all that impressed with the Edsall hire, but when are national writers going to get over their love affair with Mike Leach? Straight up the most overrated coach/coaching prospect out there.

Well, SI may or may not have predicted a CU nat'l title at one time. But I can assure you that this mag's predictions nearly NEVER prove to be accurate. Somewhere, someone has to be keeping a tally. I remember a year when ON THE COVER they assured the sporting world that the Cornhuskers would be a national champion. That's before Miami went out and actually played the game. I cannot imagine why anyone would take this lineup seriously. And as has been pointed out, before our coach puts his first team on the field.

So I am reading through the justifications for the grades and I am having trouble understanding some of the arguments.

Not that I was all that impressed with the Edsall hire, but when are national writers going to get over their love affair with Mike Leach? Straight up the most overrated coach/coaching prospect out there.

84-43 over 10 seasons, 10 straight bowl games, 8 straight seasons of 8 or more victories = overrated??

And to think some people think Gary Barnett is a helluva coach.

Im pretty sure it was SI, Ill check. I know we beat Washington in the Holiday Bowl and I think that was 96 maybe? Koy Detmer was our qb so Im thinking it was around there.

It was the sporting news and it was before the 97 season after Detmer left. CU had 3 10 win seasons in a row and even though Detmer was leaving, Hessler was a proven commodity.

Ok, Inspector Clouseau, please advise just what your investigation uncovers.

Ok, Inspector Clouseau, please advise just what your investigation uncovers.

Since you are so enamored with his 84 wins, let's break it down a bit:

-Only 30 wins came against teams that finished with winning records (seven coming in the 2008 season itself).
-8 wins came against 1-AA competition.
-A combined 25 wins came against Sun Belt teams, SMU, Baylor, and New Mexico (aggregate record of 89-206).
-A record of 12-31 against ranked opponents.
-A pedestrian 5-4 bowl record.

He also puts little to no effort into recruiting and failed to finish higher than #33 in the country in his ten years at Texas Tech. All in all, it seems pretty overrated for a guy that sportswriters routinely cream their pants over every time a job opens up.

Back