What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This should make you mad. What is SI's beef with CU?

Since you are so enamored with his 84 wins, let's break it down a bit:

-Only 30 wins came against teams that finished with winning records (seven coming in the 2008 season itself).
-8 wins came against 1-AA competition.
-A combined 25 wins came against Sun Belt teams, SMU, Baylor, and New Mexico (aggregate record of 89-206).
-A record of 12-31 against ranked opponents.
-A pedestrian 5-4 bowl record.

He also puts little to no effort into recruiting and failed to finish higher than #33 in the country in his ten years at Texas Tech. All in all, it seems pretty overrated for a guy that sportswriters routinely cream their pants over every time a job opens up.

It's not just 84 wins. It's 10 straight years of winning seasons. 10 straight years of bowl games. And that's with Texas and OU on the schedule EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Have you looked at what Colorado did (or didn't do) over the past 10 years? Have you seen how "pedestrian" CU's bowl record has been since 2000? For that matter do you know what McCartney's bowl record was at CU (3-6)?

Is he the greatest coach ever? No. But he is a very solid coach who proved to be successful every year he was at Texas Tech. I wish CU had that level of success for the past 10 years.

Is he the greatest coach ever? No. But he is a very solid coach who proved to be successful every year he was at Texas Tech.

I don't think you'll get any argument there. The issue people have about him is that he gets love from the media and some fans that far exceeds that assessment. Frankly, he's a step down from June Jones as a head football coach (to use a comparison guy who a lot of people would say uses a "gimmick" offense). And June's actually loved by the boosters, players, administrators and fans wherever he goes. Great guy. Leach, not so much.

It's not just 84 wins. It's 10 straight years of winning seasons. 10 straight years of bowl games. And that's with Texas and OU on the schedule EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Have you looked at what Colorado did (or didn't do) over the past 10 years? Have you seen how "pedestrian" CU's bowl record has been since 2000? For that matter do you know what McCartney's bowl record was at CU (3-6)?

Is he the greatest coach ever? No. But he is a very solid coach who proved to be successful every year he was at Texas Tech. I wish CU had that level of success for the past 10 years.

Typical Slade. Always manages to find a way to bash CU and fellate OU and Texas. Kudos !

Go bury your head in the sand again, chippy. Facts =/= bashing.

Burying my head in the sand ? I am well aware of CU's performance on the field over the past 10 years. Just not sure what it has to do with a discussion about Mike Leach's job as a head coach.

Burying my head in the sand ? I am well aware of CU's performance on the field over the past 10 years. Just not sure what it has to do with a discussion about Mike Leach's job as a head coach.

My apologies.

"Overrated" is in the eye of the beholder. I, personally, would love to have had 80+ wins over the past 10 years, along with bowl games every season, an exciting high scoring offense, etc.

my apologies.

"overrated" is in the eye of the beholder. I, personally, would love to have had 80+ wins over the past 10 years, along with bowl games every season, an exciting high scoring offense that couldn't do **** against a good defense, etc.

fify

So because he plays two really difficult teams every year, that makes ten straight bowl games all the more impressive? Give me a break. You are talking two games out of 11 or 12 and you are actually proving my point. He rarely won those games (4-16 record against Oklahoma and Texas), so he got his wins elsewhere, against a lot of ****** teams.

Nowhere did I bring CU into the coversation, so I am not sure why you felt the need to mention it. And are you really comparing the two bowl records of McCartney and Leach? Again, I know this is a difficult concept, but just throwing out two records that look the same does not necessarily mean they are comparable. Leach's biggest bowl win came in the Holiday Bowl. Mac's biggest win came in the Orange Bowl for the national championship, and he added a win in the Fiesta Bowl for good measure.

Back to Mike Leach, the real focus here. He is a guy who beats a bunch of teams he has no business playing and folds against really good teams most of the time. But by all means, let's make him the best candidate for any head coaching vacancy. Critical thinking, try it sometime.

Amen to that...Leach simply won ballgames and from my talk with TT fans, Leach had to deal with the constant change of presidents and an AD that seemed to keep him down. I'm sure Leach would have enjoyed coaching in Boulder for sure.

So because he plays two really difficult teams every year, that makes ten straight bowl games all the more impressive? Give me a break. You are talking two games out of 11 or 12 and you are actually proving my point. He rarely won those games (4-16 record against Oklahoma and Texas), so he got his wins elsewhere, against a lot of ****** teams.

Nowhere did I bring CU into the coversation, so I am not sure why you felt the need to mention it. And are you really comparing the two bowl records of McCartney and Leach? Again, I know this is a difficult concept, but just throwing out two records that look the same does not necessarily mean they are comparable. Leach's biggest bowl win came in the Holiday Bowl. Mac's biggest win came in the Orange Bowl for the national championship, and he added a win in the Fiesta Bowl for good measure.

Back to Mike Leach, the real focus here. He is a guy who beats a bunch of teams he has no business playing and folds against really good teams most of the time. But by all means, let's make him the best candidate for any head coaching vacancy. Critical thinking, try it sometime.

The comparison to McCartney is certainly valid in as much as you proclaim Leach to have a "pedestrian" bowl record.

Leach's bowl games were against East Carolina (L), Iowa (L), Clemson (W), Navy (W), Cal (W), Alabama (L), Minnesota (W), Virginia (W), and Mississippi (L). That's 7 BCS teams in bowl games, regardless of the name of the bowl, and he went 4-3 in those games.

Mike Leach lost to the worst coach in CU football history. Twice. Once in Lubbock and once in Boulder. Ouch.

Back