What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This stuff just has to make you proud

Sorry I love me some Cabral but I dont him as the type of hire to fire up the fan base or the boosters. This may be the most important hire in CU's history.

Well the only people that appear to be interested in the job that would fire up the fan base or boosters appear to be Mac/EB/Cabral - all the other outside hires that have any type of splash or cache seem to be dropping like flies. Richt, Bellotti are gone for sure and Miles.....C'mon Man! I just don't see him leaving after an 11-1/10-2 at worst season to take half the pay.

I have a feeling if we have the last laugh against the corn, there will be many, many others that hop on the Cabral wagon.

uggh. again. I don't promote people based on the last 3 months of their performance...a junior accountant that finds a 1 million dollar mistake and corrects it while his boss is on vacation does not make him all of the sudden deserve to be a Controller!

uggh. again. I don't promote people based on the last 3 months of their performance...a junior accountant that finds a 1 million dollar mistake and corrects it while his boss is on vacation does not make him all of the sudden deserve to be a Controller!

I think it is ridiculous to describe Brian Cabral as a "junior accountant."

I'm absolutely torn on this one.

On one hand I see a team that, for the first time in a long time, seems really together. They're playing with pride and passion. They seem to be focused on getting things right. And they're winning.

On the other hand, I'm hoping the powers that be don't rush to a conclusion. This part says that the decision should be made with the head and not the heart.

I know this -- I want Cabral retained in some, any, capacity. Losing him in this process sends what message to the players?

I don't know....

I am starting to think we don't have to look far for our next coach. Cabral has won a super bowl, a national title, and has been around winning coaches McCartney and Barnett. He knows what it takes to win at this school. Now recuiting is my only concern, but if he beats Nebraska on Friday, it will be hard for me to say no to him.

I'm onboard this train!

Sorry I love me some Cabral but I dont him as the type of hire to fire up the fan base or the boosters. This may be the most important hire in CU's history.

I'm pretty sure this thread started out talking about how fired up Cabral is getting us. Keep doing what he's doing and he'll get me fired up as hell. For all the talk about Bieniemy bleeding black and gold and restoring pride and tradition and being a true buff and all that, he's got nothing on Cabral except a tendency to yell and scream more, as far as I can see.

If we go with Cabral or Bieniemy, we have GOT to get really top quality coordinators. Which does not mean Dorrell or Embree as far as I'm concerned...

what if ...

EB is HC, Cabral is DC and Kieseau stays as OC ?

You either keep Cabral or Kiesau IMO, not both. We need to move forward some here. Just allowing different coaches to stick around because of a nice 2-3 week audition is a losing proposition. Otherwise, you start making the case for pretty much every coach on the offensive side of the ball returning. No thanks.

:blah::blah::blah:

Except at the highest pay level, hiring a coach is a crap shoot. Yes, if you can pony up $4 million to bring Nick Saban in, then you have a higher likelihood of success. Even at the top, I think you can all reel off names of failed coaches who were highly thought of: Weis, Fairbanks, et al.

So, in the middle of the crap shoot, it's pretty hilarious to read the certainties about how a particular candidate will absolutely suck (or dominate).

Here's the thing: for a position like this, the interview is HUGE. Mac was hired because of his interview. I have my favored candidates, and reasons why I favor them, but if EB doesn't come to an interview with a well-thought out, written (powerpoint, even) plan for recruiting, assistants, offensive and defensive ideas, etc. then I wouldn't hire him. None of us will ever know how the interviews go, except that it will be said that the guy who gets the job "knocked it out of the park" in the interview.

You either keep Cabral or Kiesau IMO, not both. We need to move forward some here. Just allowing different coaches to stick around because of a nice 2-3 week audition is a losing proposition. Otherwise, you start making the case for pretty much every coach on the offensive side of the ball returning. No thanks.

Collins and Riddle have got to go!

I would support BC as HC wholeheartedly, but he is not my #1 choice. He would run a clean program and would produce physical and disciplined football teams. I know that he would put together a fantastic staff, and would be a very good recruiter (parents would absolutely love BC)….these factors do not concern me in the least.

My concern is whether or not he can develop the PR skills to be ultra successful.

Every HC of a great team that I have seen, has a personality that takes over a room (would love to be proven wrong here)…they motivate and WILL their teams to become something greater than they think they can be. This type of personality also happens to engage the fan base and boosters. BC does not currently have these qualities IMO.

Which leads to my bigger concern as it relates to these factors. What happens 5,6,7 years from now if the BC coached Buffs consistently win 7-8 games a year (which I definitely think he would do)….but the program seems to have totally plateaud? Against what many claim on this board, I believe the fan base will become restless.

I think MAC brings everything that BC brings +. EB is on the other end, he doesn’t have the experience.

:blah::blah::blah:

Except at the highest pay level, hiring a coach is a crap shoot. Yes, if you can pony up $4 million to bring Nick Saban in, then you have a higher likelihood of success. Even at the top, I think you can all reel off names of failed coaches who were highly thought of: Weis, Fairbanks, et al.

So, in the middle of the crap shoot, it's pretty hilarious to read the certainties about how a particular candidate will absolutely suck (or dominate).

Here's the thing: for a position like this, the interview is HUGE. Mac was hired because of his interview. I have my favored candidates, and reasons why I favor them, but if EB doesn't come to an interview with a well-thought out, written (powerpoint, even) plan for recruiting, assistants, offensive and defensive ideas, etc. then I wouldn't hire him. None of us will ever know how the interviews go, except that it will be said that the guy who gets the job "knocked it out of the park" in the interview.

Hah. Powerpoint. Yeah. Our coach better have a ****ing power point presentation.

When the new coach is named, are there any assistants (other than Cabral) you want to see retained? I've thought about this a few times, and the ones who've impressed me are Ambrose and Prince. Thoughts?

I would support BC as HC wholeheartedly, but he is not my #1 choice. He would run a clean program and would produce physical and disciplined football teams. I know that he would put together a fantastic staff, and would be a very good recruiter (parents would absolutely love BC)….these factors do not concern me in the least.

My concern is whether or not he can develop the PR skills to be ultra successful.

Every HC of a great team that I have seen, has a personality that takes over a room (would love to be proven wrong here)…they motivate and WILL their teams to become something greater than they think they can be. This type of personality also happens to engage the fan base and boosters. BC does not really have these qualities IMO.

Which leads to my bigger concern as it relates to these factors. What happens 5,6,7 years from now if the BC coached Buffs consistently win 7-8 games a year (which I definitely think he would do)….but the program seems to have totally plateaud? Against what many claim on this board, I believe the fan base will become restless.

I think MAC brings everything that BC brings +. EB is on the other end, he doesn’t have the experience.

Does the turdball at ohio sate have a dynamic personality?

Does the turdball at ohio sate have a dynamic personality?

Don't know. You'd have to ask the people that communicate with him directly on a regular basis (players, boosters, etc..).

But good example....thanks. Much, much different situation that CU is in than OSU though.

Every HC of a great team that I have seen, has a personality that takes over a room (would love to be proven wrong here)…they motivate and WILL their teams to become something greater than they think they can be. This type of personality also happens to engage the fan base and boosters. BC does not currently have these qualities IMO.

You think Bill McCartney has a dynamic personality / PR skills?

You do not think Brian Cabral has the ability to "motivate and will" the team to something greater than they think they can be?

I think Brian Cabral brings everything that McCartney brings, in a package 20 years younger.

90% of a head coaches responsibility is to provide leadership both to his assistants and to his players. Cabral has let his coaches coach and has restored tradition and pride to the BUffs and his players have fed off this the last couple of weeks. I do agree he has to hire better assistants especially special teams and either an OC or a real QB coach that can develop our QBs beyond a shophomoric level. But he has the leasership thing down pat and am confident he can restore the pride, swagger and tradition back to early 90s level.

You think Bill McCartney has a dynamic personality / PR skills?

You do not think Brian Cabral has the ability to "motivate and will" the team to something greater than they think they can be?

I think Brian Cabral brings everything that McCartney brings, in a package 20 years younger.

When it comes to interacting with the team, or a room full of people? yes to MAC, and no to BC. They are light years apart.

Last edited:
Some of you guys are hilarious. This team hasn't won a road game in 3 f-ing years, and yet, if BC can change all that in 3 weeks and get a win in Lincoln to go along with 2 home wins, and he's still not in the running for you guys.

If he wins in Lincoln, then what he has done is nothing short of a miracle in 3 weeks. He will have turned this teams road psyche completely around. I don't care what shape knu is in, its still a road game featuring a CU team that has lost to ISU, KSU and got holed by Toledo on the road in the last couple of years. He is proving he knows how to do this thing. Don't worry about recruiting, he has proven he can do that, and Colorado recruits itself when we are winning.

He is not my top choice, I still like EB for that, but he is my number 2 easily. And climbing.

somebody on Rivals (this isn't scoop) said he heard rumors that EB would bring Cabral, Mike Tuiasosopo and Steve Marshall as assistants-

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tuiasosopo_mike00.html

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/marshall_steve00.html

With Cabral and Tuiasosopo, CU will have recruiting in Hawaii and the South Pacific sewn up. EB, with Marshall and Kiesau working together again = California recruiting back in solid hands.

Some of you guys are hilarious. This team hasn't won a road game in 3 f-ing years, and yet, if BC can change all that in 3 weeks and get a win in Lincoln to go along with 2 home wins, and he's still not in the running for you guys.

If he wins in Lincoln, then what he has done is nothing short of a miracle in 3 weeks. He will have turned this teams road psyche completely around. I don't care what shape knu is in, its still a road game featuring a CU team that has lost to ISU, KSU and got holed by Toledo on the road in the last couple of years. He is proving he knows how to do this thing. Don't worry about recruiting, he has proven he can do that, and Colorado recruits itself when we are winning.

He is not my top choice, I still like EB for that, but he is my number 2 easily. And climbing.

Yes sir agree 100%!!!!! Beat the corn and we are seeing our next head coach!!

Jeez, get out of the office much?

Back