What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This week could shake up the 2-deep

Like the punt return osnershowissue.

Do not like his position on running up score. Your backup QBs beed live action and it's ok to throw the ball some. This is arcane thinking.
I'm with you completely on both takes.

Is it just me, or does MM seem grumpier today than he has been after other practices?

I hope it's just the coach psychology 101 thing about being real tough on players and assistants after a win (after a loss you build them up). But he seemed genuinely salty in that media address.

I'm with you completely on both takes.

Is it just me, or does MM seem grumpier today than he has been after other practices?

I hope it's just the coach psychology 101 thing about being real tough on players and assistants after a win (after a loss you build them up). But he seemed genuinely salty in that media address.

Probably just cranky cus it's hot AF.

Just because you throw it around the yard doesn't mean you are running up the score. If you are that concerned with it, tell your players to sit down at the 1 yard line, take a couple knees and kick a field goal, or knee it and turn it over on downs. There are ways to practice the offense without running up the score.

I would argue that you putting in your third string and refusing to do anything at all on offense is more insulting than running the offense and scoring. But that is just me I guess.

The non-answer on whether to pass late is so weird. "Hopefully we get some other opportunities this season." Huh? How are those opportunities going to be any different?

They can run the damn offense without pouring it on. If we score a few TD's we don't need, so ****ing be it. They don't like it, stop us. People are way too sensitive these days and that's coming from me for God's sake.:D

Someone needs to teach the OLBs some pass rushing technique. I'm tired of seeing Lewis and Taylor wrestling with an OT to no avail.
Agreed, Taylor also needs some work in getting off blocks. It wasn't an issue last week but he was really locked up against the cornholes. If he picks up a little more technique dude is going to be a beast.

breaking a bit of a lurking-only streak to just say what in tarnation to that "don't you want to see Tyler throw the ball" answer

he runs the program the right way and I'd take him over so many other coaches, but dang Mike Mac is charmin soft sometimes – the opposing coach isn't going to fault you for running a pass play with your 2nd/3rd string QB, heck it gives their players more of a chance to get better against superior competition

Somebody needs to clean the tire marks off Blackmons jersey. Hopefully he was able to get out from under the bus MM just threw him under.

In all seriousness, MM was absolutely right. But saying the punt returns were “the worst I’ve ever seen” and “he’s talented but if he doesn’t get it, we will replace him” is about as hard a criticism of an individual player that I’ve ever heard from MM.

Somebody needs to clean the tire marks off Blackmons jersey. Hopefully he was able to get out from under the bus MM just threw him under.

In all seriousness, MM was absolutely right. But saying the punt returns were “the worst I’ve ever seen” and “he’s talented but if he doesn’t get it, we will replace him” is about as hard a criticism of an individual player that I’ve ever heard from MM.
Makes one wonder if they hadn't talked to Blackmon already about where and where not to field punts and he still made a poor decision. If that's the case, I get it. If not, that was a tough comment and probably a bit unnecessary. Praise publicly, scold privately.

We've had worse punt return teams under Mac. I'm not sure we had a return of over 4 yards in 2013 or 2014.
different criticism. We barely even tried to return punts those years as a tactical decision. This year we are trying, and our guy back there is trying to lose us games on his own. It's an individual instead of team criticism.

I'm hoping the bye week helps Worthington gets back to himself. He was our best returning player on the defense and he's actually been a liability at times so far. He's so much better than he has shown so far. This defense takes a big step forward when he starts playing like he's capable of playing.
I’m glad someone else sees this.

Ok, who do you guys think should return punts? Don't say LaViska, too easy. He does enough, but I'd definitely entertain that idea when we needed it, doesn't matter where you put a player like him. Also, keep in mind, that it shouldn't be just about fair catching and ****. Who can make that "momentum play" in the return game? Doesn't have to be just punt either, return as a whole. The, stand at the ten on punts and let it go if it goes over your head, doesn't seem to fly these days. I know, a lot of questions, just one more. Has Evans ever returned a punt? It is a hard job, but I think we have a few options in this area.

Makes one wonder if they hadn't talked to Blackmon already about where and where not to field punts and he still made a poor decision. If that's the case, I get it. If not, that was a tough comment and probably a bit unnecessary. Praise publicly, scold privately.

It wasn't just Blackmon, Donovan Lee also unwisely fielded a punt. That probably doubly pissed off MM.

I know a lot of us were salivating at the idea of KD Nixon returning punts when he was first recruited.

I'd like to see Jaylon jackson back there if he has the hands for it and can stay healthy

I still want Blackmon back there. He's good. I just want him to learn to plant his heels on the 10 (or 8 or wherever MM draws the line) and move away from a punt that he'd have to go backward in order to field.

Blackmon is a fine punt returner. You can coach him up to not field those inside the 10, so I don't expect that to be much of an issue going forward, but he's shown he can be a dynamic returner. He's going to take one back at some point this year.

I still want Blackmon back there. He's good. I just want him to learn to plant his heels on the 10 (or 8 or wherever MM draws the line) and move away from a punt that he'd have to go backward in order to field.
How hard is that to do? It seems like every time I watch a game some idiot back tracks five yards from the eight yard line and then gets ripped by their coach.

How hard is that to do? It seems like every time I watch a game some idiot back tracks five yards from the eight yard line and then gets ripped by their coach.
Exactly.

Totally different if he's standing on the 25 and someone launches one. Easy to lose track of where you are on the field when that happens. Also, it probably doesn't hurt to field it and run since the punter probably out kicked the coverage. But when the punt's getting snapped between the 40s there's absolutely no excuse to field from inside the 5 as we have seen a few times this season from CU (and way too often in football as a general thing).

Ok, who do you guys think should return punts? Don't say LaViska, too easy. He does enough, but I'd definitely entertain that idea when we needed it, doesn't matter where you put a player like him. Also, keep in mind, that it shouldn't be just about fair catching and ****. Who can make that "momentum play" in the return game? Doesn't have to be just punt either, return as a whole. The, stand at the ten on punts and let it go if it goes over your head, doesn't seem to fly these days. I know, a lot of questions, just one more. Has Evans ever returned a punt? It is a hard job, but I think we have a few options in this area.
KD. Easy.

They can run the damn offense without pouring it on. If we score a few TD's we don't need, so ****ing be it. They don't like it, stop us. People are way too sensitive these days and that's coming from me for God's sake.:D

As the UT fans so eloquently explained after the drubbing in the 2005 CCG;

If you don’t want 70 plasterred up on the scoreboard at the end of the game, then do something to ****ing stop it.

Blackmon is a fine punt returner. You can coach him up to not field those inside the 10, so I don't expect that to be much of an issue going forward, but he's shown he can be a dynamic returner. He's going to take one back at some point this year.

A solution I have seen when a team has a returner with dynamic potential (Blackmon) but who makes bad decision is to give him a personal protector who also has more field sense who can call the returns for him, tell him when to return, when to fair catch, and when to just let it go.

Back