What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This week could shake up the 2-deep

How hard is that to do? It seems like every time I watch a game some idiot back tracks five yards from the eight yard line and then gets ripped by their coach.
That's the thing, it's like they forget or something. We don't have a "Primetime" back there where it doesn't matter where they field it.

I would love to see tony brown back there for punts and kd/Blackmon for kicks. Brown has good hand and break away speed.

Ok, who do you guys think should return punts? Don't say LaViska, too easy. He does enough, but I'd definitely entertain that idea when we needed it, doesn't matter where you put a player like him. Also, keep in mind, that it shouldn't be just about fair catching and ****. Who can make that "momentum play" in the return game? Doesn't have to be just punt either, return as a whole. The, stand at the ten on punts and let it go if it goes over your head, doesn't seem to fly these days. I know, a lot of questions, just one more. Has Evans ever returned a punt? It is a hard job, but I think we have a few options in this area.

It's not a matter of who, or ever where, it's how.

If you are on the 2, facing the kick, and you can see that you've got 15 clear yards, go.
If you are on the 15, with 3 guys within 2 yards, fair catch.

If you are on the 10, running towards the end zone and the ball is still in the air, LEAVE IT THE **** ALONE

Maybe he’s gotten better but I thought last year MM was asked about KD returning punts and basically said they tried but he can’t catch punts. It’s boring but if Blackmon can’t figure it ou for whatever reason go with JMac. He’s not going to return one probably but he’s solid and he gets return yards when he can.

It's not a matter of who, or ever where, it's how.

If you are on the 2, facing the kick, and you can see that you've got 15 clear yards, go.
If you are on the 15, with 3 guys within 2 yards, fair catch.

If you are on the 10, running towards the end zone and the ball is still in the air, LEAVE IT THE **** ALONE
I'm well aware of punt return rules man. I just asked for opinions on who we should put back there. The first sentence, I completely disagree, it definitely matters who.

I'm well aware of punt return rules man. I just asked for opinions on who we should put back there. The first sentence, I completely disagree, it definitely matters who.
I guess I didn't say it very well. I'm perfectly fine with Blackmon returning punts. I loved what he did vs. CSU - and at least 1 of those were from the 2-3 yd line.

He just can't be that dumb.

I'd rather take chances than fair catch every single punt.

Blackmon is a fine punt returner. You can coach him up to not field those inside the 10, so I don't expect that to be much of an issue going forward, but he's shown he can be a dynamic returner. He's going to take one back at some point this year.

Agreed. And I'm glad that one of the most prominent issues going into PAC play is a coachable decision-making issue regarding a talented punt returner.

I guess I didn't say it very well. I'm perfectly fine with Blackmon returning punts. I loved what he did vs. CSU - and at least 1 of those were from the 2-3 yd line.

He just can't be that dumb.

I'd rather take chances than fair catch every single punt.
I agree with that, wasn't trying to make a big deal of it. The only way I ever fielded it inside the 10 was if the dude didn't put much air under it, even that is risky, gives you a little time to check it out though. If it's all about a safe return, just call Peter and back off.

When you have to add a major qualifier, Blackmon is not a good punt returner yet.

This,

He has the raw skills to be a big plus for us. Question is will he learn the judgement needed to not negate his positives with mistakes in decision making.

A lot of guys with seemingly good hands struggle to catch punts, even without live tacklers bearing down. I'm sure a host of guys were run thru the exercise including KD.

Ronnie Blackmon has shown all the skills, and also a real aggressiveness that he really wants to return every one possible. That's the DNA I've been waiting for. The decision making isn't rocket science and it's very coachable to high school kids, very quickly.

It seemed clear to me from the interview, that MM was referring more to selfishness, implying Ronnie wanted to score and probably felt that the game wasn't on the line and he could thus take the chance. To me, this is why MM was so pissed, that Ronnie ignored his coaching. I'm going to guess Ronnie has gotten the message and we will likely see him back there, making better decisions. Assuming he has another chance. MM was steamed.

I don't want anyone back there where your nervous he'll even be able to field it. That's the most important thing. Returning punts is not for everybody, receiver or not, it's not easy. I'd probably just stick with Blackmon unless he keeps ignoring what he's told to do. After that Idk? Haven't really seen who is capable of doing it besides him.

A lot of guys with seemingly good hands struggle to catch punts, even without live tacklers bearing down. I'm sure a host of guys were run thru the exercise including KD.

Ronnie Blackmon has shown all the skills, and also a real aggressiveness that he really wants to return every one possible. That's the DNA I've been waiting for. The decision making isn't rocket science and it's very coachable to high school kids, very quickly.

It seemed clear to me from the interview, that MM was referring more to selfishness, implying Ronnie wanted to score and probably felt that the game wasn't on the line and he could thus take the chance. To me, this is why MM was so pissed, that Ronnie ignored his coaching. I'm going to guess Ronnie has gotten the message and we will likely see him back there, making better decisions. Assuming he has another chance. MM was steamed.
Was Ronnie seen in the back ground of the interview doing bear crawls and field rolls? HA HA HA!!

I'm hoping the bye week helps Worthington gets back to himself. He was our best returning player on the defense and he's actually been a liability at times so far. He's so much better than he has shown so far. This defense takes a big step forward when he starts playing like he's capable of playing.
He has had 2 concussions now in 6 months...… 1 during spring ball and 1 against CSU

He has had 2 concussions now in 6 months...… 1 during spring ball and 1 against CSU

Yikes. Didn't know about the CSU one.

I don’t recall there being any sort of report about him having a concussion in the CSU game. I’m pretty sure he just got dinged up on a hit. You sure about that? I remember him having had one in he spring and beginning of fall camp, but not the CSU game

On the topic of a mid-season mini-camp: I love this idea. Is this a MM invention or is somebody else doing this?

I don’t recall there being any sort of report about him having a concussion in the CSU game. I’m pretty sure he just got dinged up on a hit. You sure about that? I remember him having had one in he spring and beginning of fall camp, but not the CSU game
Camp was a hamstring, iirc.

JMac was always reliable back there fielding punts (I think I remember him muffing a couple?) sure handed, right decisions - just don't think he could take one the distance.

Camp was a hamstring, iirc.
I swear I saw a post practice interview with MM during fall camp where he was talking about the two concussions that Evan Worthington had (1 in spring and one in camp), not being a concern to him, because they both happened the same way.....where he fall back and hit his head on the ground. I also remember the play in CSU where he got dinged, but then came back in a played the rest of the game....didn't think he was concussed, but maybe they found out later and didn't disclose to the public.

Then again, it is entirely possible that I am thinking about someone else

I swear I saw a post practice interview with MM during fall camp where he was talking about the two concussions that Evan Worthington had (1 in spring and one in camp), not being a concern to him, because they both happened the same way.....where he fall back and hit his head on the ground. I also remember the play in CSU where he got dinged, but then came back in a played the rest of the game....didn't think he was concussed, but maybe they found out later and didn't disclose to the public.

Then again, it is entirely possible that I am thinking about someone else
You are correct. Def camp concussion and hcmm discussed it .

Back