What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This Year In BasketBuffs - The Backcourt

Would you rather see Ski start or come off of the bench next season?

• Start

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Come off of Bench

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
Yesterday we looked at the first group of returning players -- the frontcourt. Today we look at the backcourt which will be led by two phenomenal freshmen from Southern California. Along with the super frosh, the Buffs have a few intriguing players who could help determine on if the Buffs will be able to repeat as PAC-12 champions or if they're going to fall towards the middle of the pack.

UALIIGZTPUWUECB.20111019172503.JPG

Jeremy Adams
Guard
6'5"
215 lbs.
Sophomore
Madison, MS

MPG
PPG
RPG
OR%
DR%
APG
TORate
SPG
BPG
FG%
3PT%
FT%
eFG%
Poss%
ORtg
4.0%
11.9%
26.6%
31.3%
14.3%
67.5%
33.6%
18.6%
2011-12: Adams came in with huge expectations, and to say that he didn't quite meet them would be an understatement. Adams lit it up in both high school and JUCO levels and while no one was expecting 20 ppg, I think everyone expected a bit more from him. Because of his offensive struggles (his offensive rating was the worst on the team) and a concusion, he had a hard time finding minutes at first. When he did play, he showed some impressive defensive ability. Unfortunately, his shot just wasn't falling. Finally, late in the season, news broke that Adams was also dealing with the recent discovery that he has diabetes. That, combined with the concussion explain some of the struggles that Adams had this season.
2012-13: So if Adams posted such horrible numbers this season (and his ORtg, shooting percentages and TORate are REALLY hard to swallow), why have I and others mentioned him as a potential starter for next season? In my case it might just be pure blind optimism. From all accounts Adams was tearing it up in practice all year, but just struggled in games. If he can get over that hurdle, we should be able to see the practice player -- and we started to see brief glimpses in the PAC-12 and NCAA Tournaments. Also, with an entire off-season to adjust to dealing with diabetes, he should feel stronger and more confident as well. If that happens, he could be a strong defender on the wing who can hit the open jumper -- something this team needs desperately. Adams could be a huge part of next season's team, and could ultimately decide if we're a decent team or a good one.

KHEQHPTCLREEDOY.20111019172503.JPG

Askia Booker
Guard
6'1"
160 lbs.
Freshman
Los Angeles, CA

MPG
PPG
RPG
OR%
DR%
APG
TORate
SPG
BPG
FG%
3PT%
FT%
eFG%
Poss%
ORtg
3.3%
11.2%
19.1%
40.2%
37.2%
76.2%
45.8%
25.1%
2011-12: Numbers don't lie. I stand by that statement 99.9% of the time - especially in basketball where statistics don't lie. It's why three of the four teams in KenPom's top 4 are in the Final Four. That said? Ski's stats lie. Ski has the third worst offensive efficency numbers on the team. Now, is he the most efficent player out there? No. But how much of that is because he was forced to be on the floor at the same time as Sabatino Chen, Jeremy Adams, Shane Harris-Tunks and either Nate Tomlinson, Spencer Dinwiddie or Carlon Brown. There's a reason that Ski led the team in usage stats this season and it's because he was forced to do more with less than anyone else on the team this season. Despite that, he almost put up double digits in points per game and had a decent turnover rate.
2012-13: So what happens next year? Honestly, I expected to see Ski continue his role off of the bench to provide scoring. However, in his end of the season press conference, Tad Boyle gave all indications that Ski would be starting. Starting or coming off of the bench, it's a safe bet that Ski will be in the top four on the team in scoring and will push the tempo regularly. I really think next year we'll see his efficiency and shooting percentage numbers all rise a bit. Starting or coming off of the bench, Ski will be expected to play 25 minutes a night next season and could be a Monte Ellis-type player who could be capable of putting 25+ on any given night, and who will continue to remind the PAC-12 teams that they all made a mistake by not recruiting him.

MLXEHVZHUQPTMKP.20111019172504.JPG

Sabatino Chen
Guard
6'4"
185 lbs.
Junior (Redshirt)
Louisville, CO

MPG
PPG
RPG
OR%
DR%
APG
TORate
SPG
BPG
FG%
3PT%
FT%
eFG%
Poss%
ORtg
5.0%
6.7%
21.9%
52.6%
0.0%
58.8%
52.6%
12.8%
2011-12: There was a lot of bitching that came out when it was announced that Boyle gave Sabatino Chen a scholarship -- including from myself. Then the Super Nin-Chen-do came out and won us all over. Like a pit bull on crack, Chen is relentless out there. He's not the most talented player, but he knows his role and can single handedly change the momentum of a game if the Buffs are off a bit. He was forced to guard every position from the point guard to power forward this season, and never complained -- even when he was going up against guys who were 6" taller and 50 lbs. heavier than he is. Not only that, but Chen has agreed to be on a year-to-year scholarship to give the team flexibility in recruiting. Plain and simple, if you're not a Chen fan, there's just no hope for you.
2012-13: Now that you've seen my love letter for him, let's also ground ourselves in reality a bit. He's incredibly limited offensively and while he tries a lot, he's not the most talented guy. As Boyle gets more and more talent coming in, Chen's numbers are going to be limited. But he's the kind of guy that every successful team needs -- the annoying guy who goes 100% in every practice, diving for every loose ball and causing everyone on the team to work harder. I think he'll have a similar season to last year, with slightly less minutes. He'll be in the rotation and he'll get minutes. And on senior night, he'll get the standing ovation that he deserves.

YAULLHJWIYAOQQG.20111019172504.JPG

Spencer Dinwidde
Guard
6'5"
190 lbs.
Freshman
Woodland Hills, CA

MPG
PPG
RPG
OR%
DR%
APG
TORate
SPG
BPG
FG%
3PT%
FT%
eFG%
Poss%
ORtg
3.1%
11.9%
40.2%
43.8%
81.6%
48.8%
19.4%
2011-12: "The Mayor" came in from day one and earned a starting spot in the CU backcourt. His season got off to a rocky start, but after the Air Force game Boyle sat him down and told him to just play his game and that he wasn't worried about him. Almost immediately we saw a different Spencer. The next 9 games he scored in double digits while also keeping his turnovers relatively low. He appeared to hit the freshman wall a little bit by the end of the season (excluding the Arizona game where he was huge and forced me to inform the Swan that our firstborn will be named Dinwiddie), but put up solid numbers all season, and actually led the Buffs in offensive efficiency for the season (finishing 393rd in the nation). The Mayor also showed a great ability to get to the FT line and was actually 86th in the nation in FTRate.
2012-13: I see no reason why next season won't be even better for Spencer. He's a gym rat who will spend all summer working on his game and getting better. While he deferred to Nate Tomlinson at the point last season, it wouldn't surprise me to see him take more control over the offense next season. He had the second lowest turnover rate on the team and has proven to have great floor vision. Combine that with the fact that we're looking at a depth chart at PG with just Spencer and the two freshmen -- one of which will probably redshirt -- and it appears we're looking at our starting PG for next season and beyond. All in all, I fully expect Spencer to be named All-PAC-12 during his time at Colorado and he honestly has a legit chance of going pro after his junior season.

XLCYAUVMOHILWSD.20111019172504.JPG

Beau Gamble
Guard
6'0"
175 lbs.
Sophomore
Boulder, CO

MPG
PPG
RPG
OR%
DR%
APG
TORate
SPG
BPG
FG%
3PT%
FT%
eFG%
Poss%
ORtg
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
2011-12: Gamble sat out this season due to transferring from Santa Clara.
2012-13: Gamble is probably looking at a similar season to the one that Beau Webb had. The walk-on will be expected to provide quality minutes in practice and will get some time at the end of games, but I wouldn't expect him to see the floor in too many PAC-12 games.

GAOLEEQTCRYSAVJ.20111019172504.JPG

Shannon Sharpe
Guard
6'1"
210 lbs.
Sophomore (Redshirt)
Corona, CA

MPG
PPG
RPG
OR%
DR%
APG
TORate
SPG
BPG
FG%
3PT%
FT%
eFG%
Poss%
ORtg
N/A
N/A
N/A
33.3%
33.3%
36.8%
N/A
N/A
N/A
2011-12: Shannon got limited minutes this season, usually appearing in garbage time but he also had a few games this season where he was brought in as a change of pace at the point guard position. He played in the first five games, getting decent minutes, but once Booker & Dinwiddie started to settle down there just weren't a lot of minutes available for Sharpe.
2012-13: There are rumors that Sharpe might be considering a transfer to a lower level school. Knee injuries robbed him of some of his athleticism, but he's still capable of playing quality D1 ball. If he does stay in Boulder, he'll probably have a season similar to this past one, but there is the potential of a slight uptick in minutes, depending on how the two incoming freshman PG's progress throughout the season. If Shannon has played his final game for the Buffs, I'll always remember him for his highlight dunk against Cal in the NIT two seasons ago which was ESPN's Play of the Day.

AOVMSAFPVWTBVVO.20111019172504.JPG

Beau Webb
Guard
6'4"
190 lbs.
Freshman
Lone Tree, CO

MPG
PPG
RPG
OR%
DR%
APG
TORate
SPG
BPG
FG%
3PT%
FT%
eFG%
Poss%
ORtg
N/A
N/A
N/A
100%
100%
----
N/A
N/A
N/A
2011-12: Webb was, along with Ben Mills, the human victory cigar for the Buffs this season. Webb played in six games this season and except for the Wichita State game in which he started, the Buffs won all of them.
2012-13: Expect a similar season for Webb. He'll provide quality minutes in practice, push players, and get spot minutes here and there. But I wouldn't expect him to see much time in PAC-12 games.

start at least early in the season while our incoming players get used to the pace of the game. If we somehow have another Burks on our hands in Jenkins, Talton or Johnson then I can see him move to the bench. I really like him at the point and I think the game will slow down quite a bit for him, but he is our best penetration dribbler which you really need against a zone and his hesitation dribble is unreal since he can get up to full speed so fast.

Nice write up, good work.

One thing I like about Adams, assuming he comes on next year as we hope, is that he is a classic Tad Boyle player in that he has a load of versatility. He has the quickness to cover most traditional 2s and 3s but also has the bulk and strength to deal with those guys you see in the college game who are basically short power forwards, the 6'4" - 6'6" muscle guys who spend a lot of time in the paint. He can also do some of that himself, If we play a team that decides to go small he can cover the wing on defense then create a missmatch inside on the skinnier wing who is trying to cover him. I hope he is able to have a solid off-season and come back next year closer to what we thought he would be, if he does he will make a difference in the final record.

You also had a very good point about Ski. A lot of what were credited to him as mistakes could be attributed to the demands put on him by who he was playing with. Being forced to put up marginal or worse shots when other guys couldn't create offense, passes that his teammates didn't see or react to becoming turnovers on his part, etc.

Adams has to give us scoring punch from the wing.

Can he translate the offense seen in practices to games?

There may be an opportunity for Jenkins to be our 8+ppg guy coming off the bench.

Ideal world? Ski remains the spark

Reality? He starts. It's going to be a transition for him, but this can be a very good thing.

great article goose. finally catching up on allbuffs after a hellaciously busy week.

Actually, we need to rep you more. This week has been the best collection of articles for the buffs this year. Seriously, NONE of the paid media comes close to what you are putting out man. This is quality ****. I want to turn it into cocaine form and build a fort with bricks of it.

Adams has to give us scoring punch from the wing.

Can he translate the offense seen in practices to games?

There may be an opportunity for Jenkins to be our 8+ppg guy coming off the bench.

Would the need for scoring punch off the bench outweigh how quickly he can make the adjustments on D? I'm worried he might need a few more cheeseburgers before we can put him on anyone other than a 3.

Back