What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Thoughts on Eliot so far?

B_Walk

Cursed
While the talent on defense (especially the defensive line) has improved dramatically this year, what is the consensus on Eliot thus far?

I think he's improved dramatically over 2017. Teams have come out and had success against us in the first half of games, and Eliot has adjusted the scheme accordingly. A lot remains to be seen, but I'm impressed. The "deer in the headlights" look *Arizona last year* seems to be fixed.

Lots of options with personnel. Good rotation. Some weaknesses that are exploitable. Expect more aggressiveness as season goes on and narrowing of personnel to those that are performing well. He has speed to work with. And that makes a difference.

Talent and experience are helping, but I want to focus on things that are more directly within his control.

I like the deep rotations and the multiple looks he is showing. I really like his in-game adjustments. And I love that with some strong encouragement from MM that Eliot is getting a lot more aggressive in his play calling by bringing a lot more heat. He's got the athletes to do that and needs to keep finding creative ways to use that speed to bring pressure.

As everyone is saying, adjustments are stellar.

I'm appreciating the improved aggressiveness, especially in situations in which he'd go conservative last year: 3rd & long, he'll bring a blitz this year - last year he'd go vanilla and essentially give the offense and positive yards but hope to stop them on front of the marker.

Gotta fix HS recruiting on the line though. Not sure how much of that falls to him, but someone needs to get that **** fixed.

Talent and experience are helping, but I want to focus on things that are more directly within his control.

I like the deep rotations and the multiple looks he is showing. I really like his in-game adjustments. And I love that with some strong encouragement from MM that Eliot is getting a lot more aggressive in his play calling by bringing a lot more heat. He's got the athletes to do that and needs to keep finding creative ways to use that speed to bring pressure.

Really noticed this last night. Would like to see this a lot in 2 weeks against USC.

As everyone is saying, adjustments are stellar.

I'm appreciating the improved aggressiveness, especially in situations in which he'd go conservative last year: 3rd & long, he'll bring a blitz this year - last year he'd go vanilla and essentially give the offense and positive yards but hope to stop them on front of the marker.

Gotta fix HS recruiting on the line though. Not sure how much of that falls to him, but someone needs to get that **** fixed.

Thats an area where Jim Jeffcoat no longer being here will help. Alot.

Lots of options with personnel. Good rotation. Some weaknesses that are exploitable. Expect more aggressiveness as season goes on and narrowing of personnel to those that are performing well. He has speed to work with. And that makes a difference.

There won't be any narrowing of personnel. They've consciously planned to platoon on the DL, at OLB, and a bit at CB. That's not going to change.

I like him and what he is doing. Adjustments are working. Rotation of personnel is working. Love when he is dialing it up and bringing pressure. I get his resume was underwhelming but he is fitting into the role and doing a good job

Most impressed at how he identified talent gaps and zeroed in on immediate producers to bandaid quickly.

Antwine, Mehki Blackmon, Mustafa, Abrams, Taylor, Tchangam are 6 guys playing roles and all look like they are going to be talent infusions.

I like the adjustments he appears to be making, although I wish they wouldn’t be necessary to begin with. Seems like we have issues at the beginning of games against teams with talent (NU & UCLA). There may be a game (I’m looking at USC) where a slow start might put us in a hole we can’t climb out of.

B-. He's got more talent and experience than last year. His half time adjustments have been great. But that means his game planning has sucked...we were owned in the first half of NU and UCLA. Overall, definitely above average but I'm not on the bandwagon until we play a good offense and play well for 4 quarters against them.

B-. He's got more talent and experience than last year. His half time adjustments have been great. But that means his game planning has sucked...we were owned in the first half of NU and UCLA. Overall, definitely above average but I'm not on the bandwagon until we play a good offense and play well for 4 quarters against them.
Commonality between those two teams. Both new coaches with differing personnel from their prior coaching stops (think Oregon for Kelly, not the NFL) . I’m not saying that he shouldn’t have a better up front game plan because he should. But I take the 1st half against Nebraska out of the sample because he really had no idea what they were going to do. That was not the same exact offense Frost ran at UCF. And against UCLA, it wasn’t great but they only gave up on touchdown. I think with film, he’s done much better and I will take one touchdown in a half if that’s considered poor initial game plan. Let’s see how does against more of the South before we say that he can’t come up with a strong initial game plan.

I personally and selfishly wish they would put the 2nd string guys, for sure Jon Van Diest, ha, in that last 7-8 mins of the 4th to get some reps and more game speed. I want in no way RG, DL, and NL to go down but Akil and Jon don't have enough reps in case they do. I would love to see JVD have about 150 reps this year to get ready for next. He has 23 ILB snaps and 2 tackles. So not bad so far.

Each OC had 2 weeks to prep something for the opponent in the UCLA game, a chance to throw in some new wrinkles etc. I've got no issues with the UCLA game plan.

Nebraska game, we were getting gashed when some new guys didn't do their job, and some poor tackling. We also didn't own the LOS for most of that game. But I'm not concerned as much with game planning. If a guy can make adjustments at half time, he will be able to make a good game plan.

Commonality between those two teams. Both new coaches with differing personnel from their prior coaching stops (think Oregon for Kelly, not the NFL) . I’m not saying that he shouldn’t have a better up front game plan because he should. But I take the 1st half against Nebraska out of the sample because he really had no idea what they were going to do. That was not the same exact offense Frost ran at UCF. And against UCLA, it wasn’t great but they only gave up on touchdown. I think with film, he’s done much better and I will take one touchdown in a half if that’s considered poor initial game plan. Let’s see how does against more of the South before we say that he can’t come up with a strong initial game plan.
Good points. I'm not sure I'm saying he can't come up w a good initial game plan...CU and UNH were fine...but they aren't P5 talent. I definitely hold out judgment for him...he's been pretty good this year. According to cfbstats...we are 45th in total D this year...last year we were 110th!! If that drops even by 20 slots (which is possible since we are in the PAC), that's a great improvement. Kudos to him, MMac, the ACs and players! Go Buffs to the 2018 PAC12 champions!

Good points. I'm not sure I'm saying he can't come up w a good initial game plan...CU and UNH were fine...but they aren't P5 talent. I definitely hold out judgment for him...he's been pretty good this year. According to cfbstats...we are 45th in total D this year...last year we were 110th!! If that drops even by 20 slots (which is possible since we are in the PAC), that's a great improvement. Kudos to him, MMac, the ACs and players! Go Buffs to the 2018 PAC12 champions!

IMO, the only stat that matters is points conceded. We are #20 in the FBS giving up 17.8 points per game. That’s cool because our offense is #23 in the FBS. They’re scoring 40.3 points per game.

If this trend continues, Colorado will be a top 15 team. If not, we’re a 6-8 win team.

I have been very meh with my opinion about Eliot this year. I would give him a solid C so far. I was critical of some of the bad habits on D last year. I have seen that improve, and the talent is noticeably deeper. I feel like Eliot waits too long to make key adjustments, and the vast improvement in both the NU game and UCLA game came after halftime.....I find myself wondering if that’s because HCMM has more of an opportunity to have input at half.

I could really care less about where our defense is ranked, as we really have not played what anyone would consider to be a good team yet. I am tenuously optimistic that we will continue to improve, and end up having a better than avg defense when it’s all said and done, but I’m reserving judgment until I see what we do in the next two weeks.

EDIT: *n’t

Last edited:
I would echo BC above in the last paragraph. Except for the “could care less”. :D

The fact remains that CU really hasn’t played a team worth anything.

I’m luke warm on ASU at best. I see no reason CU shouldn’t stomp them like in ‘16.

We will get our valid intel on Elliot vs Washington and USC on the road.

It’s my opinion that it’s the D that is going to have to step up and win those two games for CU on the road.

I would echo BC above in the last paragraph. Except for the “could care less”. :D

The fact remains that CU really hasn’t played a team worth anything.

I’m luke warm on ASU at best. I see no reason CU shouldn’t stomp them like in ‘16.

We will get our valid intel on Elliot vs Washington and USC on the road.

It’s my opinion that it’s the D that is going to have to step up and win those two games for CU on the road.

Agree, especially against Washington. That defense is a bad matchup for our offense.

Back