What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Three potential models for the Pac-12 Network

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
According to Jon Wilner, the plan will be known within a few weeks. It looks like it will be one of 3 models:

1. Take over existing network and re-brand as the Pac-12 Network for immediate cable distribution.

2. Partner with a cable communications company like Comcast on a brand new network.

3. Bet on the future by being the first mover on a major internet network through a partnership with Apple and/or Google.

#3 is very intriguing. It would give up a lot of early revenue because it wouldn't get the cable subscription fees and rely solely on advertising, but with the ESPN/FOX deal recently signed it's not like the Pac-12 is desperate for cash. When tv's become home computers within the next decade and as mobile devices continue to grow, the Pac-12 would be at the forefront and best positioned for the future.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2011/06/27/pac-12-tv-network-assessing-the-options-one-of-them-is-a-doozy/#more-20171

Most intriging would be #4, a blend of #2 and #3. ESPN is already starting into the internet field with ESPN 3 so that barrier has been broken. At the same time the cable communications companies like Comcast and others are also heavily invested in internet communcations and are trying to drive internet customers to their services. At the same time the traditional communication companies like Qwest in the Rocky Mountain region and SBC on the Pacific coast are trying to hold on to their market share and this would be a way for them to lock in a solid hold in the new telecommunications business.

I don't like option 3 at all. Streaming is not quite ready yet. Sure it is nice to stream from netflix, but if I watch sports I want to see in in high def not some 5 minute buffer delayed stream. Google tv so far has been a dud and I don't want apple touching this with a 10 foot pool, it would suck to be locked on some apple only device to watch the games.

Most intriging would be #4, a blend of #2 and #3. ESPN is already starting into the internet field with ESPN 3 so that barrier has been broken. At the same time the cable communications companies like Comcast and others are also heavily invested in internet communcations and are trying to drive internet customers to their services. At the same time the traditional communication companies like Qwest in the Rocky Mountain region and SBC on the Pacific coast are trying to hold on to their market share and this would be a way for them to lock in a solid hold in the new telecommunications business.

this... plus working with comcast... it would give them a slice of the pie that they desperately wanted before...

I vote for #5. Start off with someone elses channel to save on start up costs, and then invest heavily in the online option as time goes on.

I don't like option 3 at all. Streaming is not quite ready yet. Sure it is nice to stream from netflix, but if I watch sports I want to see in in high def not some 5 minute buffer delayed stream. Google tv so far has been a dud and I don't want apple touching this with a 10 foot pool, it would suck to be locked on some apple only device to watch the games.

With true 4G, not just using the name for higher-end 3G speeds, this won't be a problem. From Wikipedia, 4G offers:

• A nominal data rate of 100 Mbit/s while the client physically moves at high speeds relative to the station, and 1 Gbit/s while client and station are in relatively fixed positions as defined by the ITU-R[SUP][23][/SUP]
  • A data rate of at least 100 Mbit/s between any two points in the world[SUP][23][/SUP]

1gb is an awfully big pipe hell 100mb is big. I can't even get score updates at Folsom and I have installed over 20 T1s there.

Updated info on the network. Money quote:

*** In summation:

Sure, Scott could announce a partnership with Google or Apple tomorrow.

But my guess is that sometime next month he’ll unveil a more traditional network structure, perhaps with Time Warner at the center.

With true 4G, not just using the name for higher-end 3G speeds, this won't be a problem. From Wikipedia, 4G offers:

• A nominal data rate of 100 Mbit/s while the client physically moves at high speeds relative to the station, and 1 Gbit/s while client and station are in relatively fixed positions as defined by the ITU-R[SUP][23][/SUP]
  • A data rate of at least 100 Mbit/s between any two points in the world[SUP][23][/SUP]

have you used 4G yet? I understand the theoretical bandwidth, but we have to live with realistic rules here in the real world.

are yall kidding me... if a cable company got it all they would be doing is running the network... of course they would widelt distribute it... how else would they make money off of it it not like say some ****** company in nevada got it and then they would only distributed it in nevada...

have you used 4G yet? I understand the theoretical bandwidth, but we have to live with realistic rules here in the real world.

I almost added more about the real world aspect, but decided at the time the theoretical comparison was enough. But you're right - today I was looking at some reviews of I think it was T-Mobile in San Francisco, and they were talking about 4G speeds in the 14.4Mbit range, as measured by I'm thinking it was speedtest.net mobile app. Still pretty fast.

Thread is not what I wanted it to be about.

Yeah. I'd prefer these two as the PAC-12 models.

Miss Laura M. Prestin
uhq821hkx1lr.jpg

Denise Milani (She claims those are real and they look like it.)
denise-milani-tennis-13-610x878.jpg

Back