What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Three years in a row, the CFP got it right.

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
I'm really beginning to think we shouldn't expand the playoff at all. Three years in a row, the CFP nailed it. There is absolutely no argument who the best team in college football is. The three championship games have all been world class greatness, too.

Well done, CFP. Don't fix what isn't broken.

I'd like to see it go to 16 teams personally. More sudden death, more excitement, just more playoff football. The cream will rise to the top regardless.

I'm really beginning to think we shouldn't expand the playoff at all. Three years in a row, the CFP nailed it. There is absolutely no argument who the best team in college football is. The three championship games have all been world class greatness, too.

Well done, CFP. Don't fix what isn't broken.
I believe it proved being a conference champ should have more weight. Ohio St proved they didn't belong. Penn State gave us the second best bowl game of the year and Oklahoma dominated the second best team in the SEC.

I totally agree that 4 is perfect. 8 Teams would be an extra weekend and extra game for really no reason. If they extend it another week that is already into the next semester for some schools and if they extend it back I would say that is a lot of games for those teams. 16 potential games is way too much for these kids.

teams 3 and 4 were a little weak this year. This is one year where the old system (matching 1 vs 2) would have been as good as the four team playoff. I still like the four team playoff. Ohio State won the championship from the #4 spot in the playoff's first year.

Not sure about 8 because then conferences would likely get guaranteed spots and there could be a conference winner not deserving of the top 8. With 4 you get the 4 best teams with no guaranteed spots.

I totally agree that 4 is perfect. 8 Teams would be an extra weekend and extra game for really no reason. If they extend it another week that is already into the next semester for some schools and if they extend it back I would say that is a lot of games for those teams. 16 potential games is way too much for these kids.
Just move the whole bowl schedule up a week or two - having a month off between the season and your bowl game is too long. Any momentum you've built during the season is gone.

I heard Wetzel on NPR yesterday saying we should go to 8 by eliminating conference championships, because they've become irrelevant. I don't know what world he lives in, but I don't want to live in that world. Every team's goal should be the conference championship first, and it should have meaning.

I think 8 is perfect and the conference champions should get an automatic berth. 3 at large teams will catch anyone else deserving.

Just move the whole bowl schedule up a week or two - having a month off between the season and your bowl game is too long. Any momentum you've built during the season is gone.
Really hard to do that with finals and holidays going on for a lot of the players. These are not pro players that are getting paid.

I heard Wetzel on NPR yesterday saying we should go to 8 by eliminating conference championships, because they've become irrelevant. I don't know what world he lives in, but I don't want to live in that world. Every team's goal should be the conference championship first, and it should have meaning.

I think 8 is perfect and the conference champions should get an automatic berth. 3 at large teams will catch anyone else deserving.

Completely agree, but I guarantee you that the 8 team playoff would be 5 P5 Champs, 1 Highest Ranked G5 Champ, 2 At large. Things would end up a little watered down because of that.

Expanding the playoff to 6 may be a good compromise. Give the top 2 seeds a bye, and to earn the bye you must be the highest ranked conference champs.

We have been treated to some of the best college football games ever these last three years.

Don't fix what ain't broke.
This.

More isn't always better - especially when it would likely take away some of what makes it good in the first place.

Just look at how awful those wild card games were last weekend. Obviously it's not like that every year but a lot of times those wild card teams get murdered in the divisional round.

Really hard to do that with finals and holidays going on for a lot of the players. These are not pro players that are getting paid.
I don't buy that as a legitimate reason. They have conference championship games and bowl games all throughout December including Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. They could take a week off for Christmas, compress the video schedule and still finish the season no later than they do now.

Last edited:
I don't buy that as a legitimate reason. They have conference championship games and bowl games all throughout December including Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. They did take a week off for Christmas, compress the video schedule and still finish the season no later than they do now.
Well it is a legitimate reason. There is a big difference between having a practice on Christmas and actually traveling and playing a game. Conference championship games are the first weekend in December, a week before finals so it really has no impact. Cramming another week of practice into the week of Christmas since they aren't going to be able to practice a ton during finals week, then having another week of practice the week of new years is way too much. Once again they aren't getting paid to be away from family and basically work during the holidays, everyone else gets 1.5x or 2x their pay for doing the same stuff.

Well it is a legitimate reason. There is a big difference between having a practice on Christmas and actually traveling and playing a game. Conference championship games are the first weekend in December, a week before finals so it really has no impact. Cramming another week of practice into the week of Christmas since they aren't going to be able to practice a ton during finals week, then having another week of practice the week of new years is way too much. Once again they aren't getting paid to be away from family and basically work during the holidays, everyone else gets 1.5x or 2x their pay for doing the same stuff.
Get rid of a week of practice. You don't need 2 weeks of practice to prepare for a bowl game - they only have that much practice now because of the long layoff. The bowl season is stretched out because of money, not families and finals. Bowls make more money if there are only a few on each day so there are less competition for eyeballs.

New Year's Day used to be bowl day, this year none were played on Jan 1 (don't want to compete with the NFL) and only 4 games on Jan 2.

Get rid of a week of practice. You don't need 2 weeks of practice to prepare for a bowl game - they only have that much practice now because of the long layoff. The bowl season is stretched out because of money, not families and finals. Bowls make more money if there are only a few on each day so there are less competition for eyeballs.

New Year's Day used to be bowl day, this year none were played on Jan 1 (don't want to compete with the NFL) and only 4 games on Jan 2.
I don't really know what you are talking about. You have a week of practice and a game during Christmas week for the first round of the playoff, then another week of practice and a game during new years week and then potentially another week of practice the week after. This has nothing to do with other bowls. The Buffs took finals week off of practice too, that isn't the issue. The issue is adding another game during another holiday week for essentially no reason. 4 gets the job done and keeps the regular season's importance. Adding more games for these student athletes is not a good idea considering they already have huge time constraints.

Im really struggling with the idea that we could somehow make this better.

This is it, folks. We did it. We found the sweet spot.

And here's what makes it better: CU was in the discussion this year.

It ain't broke. It's working. Brilliantly. No need to change it in any way. It's perfect.

I don't really know what you are talking about. You have a week of practice and a game during Christmas week for the first round of the playoff, then another week of practice and a game during new years week and then potentially another week of practice the week after. This has nothing to do with other bowls. The Buffs took finals week off of practice too, that isn't the issue. The issue is adding another game during another holiday week for essentially no reason. 4 gets the job done and keeps the regular season's importance. Adding more games for these student athletes is not a good idea considering they already have huge time constraints.
If you like the 4-team playoff the way it is that's fine, but let's not pretend like time constraints on players is what would prevent it from expanding to 6 or 8. That's 2-4 teams that would play 1 more game, that's no big deal.

The other bowl games matter because you'd be looking for open dates to schedule those extra games. There were only 8 bowl games the whole week of 12/18 - they could have played 15-20 in that week and opened dates after Christmas for playoff games. Or just cut a half dozen bowls altogether.

Here we go again.

This is the problem when you discuss playoffs in college football.

College football is unique in that the team that wins the championship is the team that can legitimately claim to have been the best team over the entire season. Either of those teams last night could and should make that claim after the game.

Start adding in wildcards and winners of conferences having off years and you bring in the possibility and eventual likelihood of upsets or a late hot streak putting the title in the hands of a team that clearly doesn't deserve to make that claim.

This year there were two teams that were far and above the rest in making that claim coming into the post-season. Some years there may be 3 or even rarely 4. I don't see a time when the 5th or 6th team much less the 7th or 8th can make that claim.

When seeking to justify further expansion of the playoffs fans will not make the claim that the next teams to get in are better than the top seeds, the argument goes that the top teams left out compare favorably to the last teams getting in. Those that want 6 say "look how we compare to number 4." This argument has no end until you go full blown NFL style or bigger playoffs.

I agree with @onealcd that expanded playoffs aren't good for the student athletes. I also don't think they are good for college football as a whole. Don't throw out what makes college football special trying to imitate the NFL.

I think there is some convenient hindsight being used in this thread. There were plenty of questions about Clemson as the season went along. They more than earned the national championship, but give me a break that it was always Alabama, Clemson, and then everyone else throughout the season.

Can you imagine what it must feel like to be a Clemson fan right now?

The saying is if you want to be the man, you got to beat the man. Clemson just beat the man.
I have a colleague in the office here who is a Clemson grad. He's on cloud 9, despite nursing what has to be one helluva hangover.

Sinkratz is on the money here. Expanding the playoffs, but shortening the bowl season makes it a wash for the student athlete. The time between the end of the regular season and bowl games now is obsurd. Just because there are no games in this window doesn't mean they don't have all the same time commitments to football that they do during the season. They get to rest and recover you say? We ended up carrying more injuries into the bowl game than we had before bowl practices started. And all this only would effect 8 teams a year out of the 100+ teams. The rest of the bowl teams get to be done earlier.

I think there is some convenient hindsight being used in this thread. There were plenty of questions about Clemson as the season went along. They more than earned the national championship, but give me a break that it was always Alabama, Clemson, and then everyone else throughout the season.
Yes but the argument was always Ohio St. or Penn St. so that worked itself out pretty well. The committee did a great job, the only complaint I would have is that they had Ohio St. in Arizona without a conference champ instead of Washington.

Sinkratz is on the money here. Expanding the playoffs, but shortening the bowl season makes it a wash for the student athlete. The time between the end of the regular season and bowl games now is obsurd. Just because there are no games in this window doesn't mean they don't have all the same time commitments to football that they do during the season. They get to rest and recover you say? We ended up carrying more injuries into the bowl game than we had before bowl practices started. And all this only would effect 8 teams a year out of the 100+ teams. The rest of the bowl teams get to be done earlier.
Can we get rid of this false narrative about there being too long of a window. There are conference championships, then a week off, then finals week, and then the team has about a week and a half of practice before the major bowl games/playoff games with a major holiday in the middle. Do you want bowl games going on the week after conference championship games? These teams need time to prepare it's not like they can just have finals and fly and play a game. And yes they do have less constraints during this time period, the Buffs didn't even practice during finals week and then they had no class after that.

Back