What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Three years in a row, the CFP got it right.

There are conference championships, then a week off, then finals week, and then the team has about a week and a half of practice before the major bowl games/playoff games with a major holiday in the middle. Do you want bowl games going on the week after conference championship games? These teams need time to prepare it's not like they can just have finals and fly and play a game.

1.) Teams playing conference championship games are not playing in bowls that would constitute them having to play the next week.

2.) Why do you need more than a week to prepare for a bowl game? You don't get an extra week to prepare for your conference championship.

Alabama was clearly he #1 all year long. Clemson was always in the discussion for somewhere between #2 and #4 along with teams like Washington, OSU, Michigan, Louisville, FSU, Oklahoma and maybe a couple others. Point is, they got in the playoff by winning and then beat the last two national champions and this years' consensus #1 team.

6 teams is perfect.

All 5 power conferences represented with a 2nd team who carries the highest ranking.

Top 2 teams get a 1st round bye.

8 team playoff
5 conf champs
2 at-large
Addl at-large or best of G5

Quarterfinals held at higher seed campus site.

No thanks. It would have made a game like Ohio st/Michigan basically meaningless
This 100x

That was an absolutely amazing game, largely because of the stakes.

Add a quarter final round, and that game isn't nearly as big, or as exciting.

My biggest worry with the playoff was that it would diminish the importance of the regular season games, especially for the top teams.

With four, the standard remains perfection or damn near perfection.

With six, and especially with eight, the standard becomes "perfection isn't worth striving for, it's actually ok if you **** yourself once and step on your dick another time, as long as you have a good reputation and the committee likes you."

I still am left wondering how we can possibly improve on what we have. This is perfect. Three years running.

Don't change a thing.

6 teams is perfect.

All 5 power conferences represented with a 2nd team who carries the highest ranking.

Top 2 teams get a 1st round bye.

If I am a top 2 team I am not sure I want extra time off and would prefer 8 teams. Sure you get an extra week to rest up and possibly heal but you are also coming in cold, against a very good team, that just got done playing and will not have the rust factor.

Let's stop trying to make college football the NFL, people. The NFL sucks.

The NFL sucks for a lot of reasons but the playoffs isn't one of them. It would take too long to go over why they suck but I don't think CFB is in danger of running into their issues.

I wouldn't mind 6 or 8. I don't want 16 though.

Nope 16 is too much. You cannot ask a team like Alabama, or whoever makes it, to play two more games. Also a team like Alabama shouldn't have to play the 16th ranked team to advance anywhere.

I don't think this game changed anything. I am still on the boat that 6-8 team playoff is perfect. Leaning towards 6 as I think going to 8 now is probably watering it down a little much. No way could you say that 4 is perfect, when you had a Ohio State team that obviously had no business whatsoever being in the final 4.

I don't think this game changed anything. I am still on the boat that 6-8 team playoff is perfect. Leaning towards 6 as I think going to 8 now is probably watering it down a little much. No way could you say that 4 is perfect, when you had a Ohio State team that obviously had no business whatsoever being in the final 4.
That's a strong statement and easy to say now, Ohio State had by far the best resume outside of Alabama. They beat three top 10 teams, 2 on the road and lost to a top 10 team on the road due to a blocked field goal. You can say all you want about them having close games but Clemson had the same issues all season.

I think 6 would be ideal, maybe 8 too. Also I like 4 as well with only one catch, somebody gets left out that might be deserving.

Just to clarify - the no games on New Year's Day this year thing isn't strictly because of the NFL.

The Rose Bowl, for instance, has never been played on a Sunday.

So did the CFP semifinals.

As I said on New Year's Eve, 25 years ago, the Sugar Bowl would have been Clemson versus Alabama, and the winner would have been the national champion.

This year just happened to be a very unique situation in which every single iteration of determining a national champion would have worked out.

We need to include all P5 Champs.

Consider now, that the ACC, Big10 and SEC have a Champion. The Pac does not. We really need a Pac team to hoist the title. Otherwise teams from the Pac will need at least one fewer loss than teams from other conferences or they will get the nod over us in close situations. It happened to Stanford two years ago and almost to the Huskies this year.

Seems pretty clear if the Pac-12 has a 0 or 1 loss champ they are in the playoff. Stanford had two losses last year so it's different and Washington clearly made the playoff this year. The only conference that has had a one loss champ not make the playoff is the Big-12 so I think the uncertainty of the Pac-12 making the playoff is misguided.

Don't care if Ohio State won the first playoff, TCU would have stomped anyone they played at that point and should have been in over tOSU.

I'd like to see the 5 conf champs and 1 wildcard for total of 6...but the OP is right...the CFP nailed it again.

Back