What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Thursday CU Football Buff Bites

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Ash Jackson

Recapping Colorado Buffaloes, Pac-12, and college football news from around the web....z
colorado_logo.png
Tickets Still Available For CU Kickoff Luncheon Friday - CUBuffs.com - Remember when Embree was hired and they had that lunch that you wanted to go to but couldn't get time off of work? Now's your chance to make it up to yourself.

The 23rd Annual Boulder Chamber CU Kickoff Luncheon at the University of Colorado is set for Friday, August 26, at Balch Fieldhouse, and tickets are still available for the first luncheon for head coach Jon Embree, who will be the featured speaker.
Especially if...you know... you don't have that job anymore and you spend all day sitting on the couch playing NCAA Football. Then you owe it to yourself and to us.
colorado_logo.png
Move to 3-4 defense will benefit CU Buffs linebackers - Buffzone - I'm now convinced that this has been the plan since December. Back when Embree hired Kanavis McGhee and we all gave a collective "WTF"? I had an inkling that it had to make sense somehow; I wouldn't have guessed 3-4, and barely knew I had an inkling at all. But now that we see this, I'm convinced that it was the plan from the beginning.
Colorado*s move to a 3-4 base defense doesn*t mean the Butkus Award is headed back to Boulder. At least not yet. If the Buffs stay healthy, defensive coordinator Greg Brown is confident the scheme will work well in the Pac-12 this season. Josh Hartigan, coming off a seven-sack season at defensive end, will move to "Jack" linebacker.
Senior David Goldberg and freshman Juda Parker should see plenty of action rotating in at the new position. "(Hartigan) has such speed and quickness, he can really get that pressure on the quarterback, which is really what we need," Major said. "It's going to help our pass defense and help us in third-down situations and in turnovers."
Rippy appears to be poised for a breakout season. The 6-3, 230-pound junior is the starting "Mike" linebacker. "We're looking for great things out of Doug Rippy," Brown said. "He's everything that you want -- he's big, he can run, he's tough, he's smart, and he's a leader." Derrick Webb will start next to Rippy inside at the "Will" linebacker. The sophomore beat out senior Patrick Mahnke during fall camp. Major plays the "Sam" position, which is the other outside linebacker spot opposite Hartigan.
Embree said the junior, who was having an All-Big 12 2010 season until suffering an injury, has improved his pass coverage skills during the offseason. The players in the front seven really seem to have responded to new defensive line coaches Mike Tuiasosopo and Kanavis McGhee. "Tui and Kanavis are getting those guys off the ball and converting from run to pass rush moves and all that," Embree said. "I expect those guys to do a good job getting after the quarterback."
If my calculations are correct, our defense could be a veritable QB sack machine... and awesome.
colorado_logo.png
Fall Camp Notes " CU At the Game - A CU Football blog by Stuart Whitehair
On whether the culture has changed with regard to away games – "I don’t know. I haven’t been with them on away games. This will be my first away game with them. We’re going to just keep preparing. We’re going to keep talking about it, and we’re going to keep making sure they understand what they need to do to win. We’ve got to have confidence, and confidence comes from preparation. Only they know if they have prepared like they need to. A lot of the things we’re trying to do in practice is to expose the guys who haven’t prepared, or don’t know what they’re doing. So that we can either not have them in that situation or not have them out on the field, so that we have our best opportunity to win."
colorado_logo.png
CU Buffs' running backs line up to back up Speedy Stewart - The Denver Post
"It's separation time," offensive coordinator/running backs coach Eric Bieniemy said. "We can't have flashes here and there. It's all about consistent behavior."
At 5-foot-9, 195 pounds, Ford is the giant among the Buffs' minibacks. "Well, kind of," he said. With five backs listed between 5-6, 175 pounds and Ford's size, how much diversity can there be in their styles? They are very different, said Ford who played for the 2008 state champions. "Tony is fast," Ford said of Jones. "If he gets outside, he's gone. He's very instinctive. He'll surprise you a lot. You'll see everything will be clogged and Tony's bursting out."
As for himself, "I like to get to it. I like to hit the hole and just go."
Am I the only one who sees 'mini-backs' and reads 'mini-guns'? Is it wrong that my mind equates our offense to something that spits hot lead and fire? If so, I don' wanna be right.
colorado_logo.png
CU Buffs not taking it easy in practice - Buffzone
The Buffs will not play the Buffs on Saturday. "Then that will mean we*ll play 14 straight weeks," Colorado head coach Jon Embree said after Wednesday*s practice. "Thirteen is enough."
"It's really a mock game. We go through the substitutions, special teams situations, where we go for pregame warm-up," Embree said. "We'll just be in helmets." The Buffs have not been tapering down the physicality of practices this week. Embree was pleased with the defense's tackling on Tuesday and said the offense played well for about 90 percent of Wednesday's session. "Offense had a heck of a practice (Wednesday), then the last period we didn't finish like we should," Embree said. "But we'll get it. They don't have a choice, so we'll get it."
"Welcome to Colorado. Success is the only option."
colorado_logo.png
Top 25 college basketball recruiting classes - MaxPreps News - 22. COLORADO Commitments: No. 86 Josh Scott (6-9, 215, C/PF), NR Wesley Gordon (6-7, 195, PF)
Colorado_Pac-12_medium_medium.jpg
Best case-worst case: Utah - Pac-12 Blog - ESPN - If you read Miller's CU 'Best Case Worst Case" you'll get a kick. If you didn't read Miller's CU 'Best Case Worst Case,' you'll get a different kind of kick... in the knee.

UCLA doesn't have a quarterback who can exploit the struggling Utes secondary, but Washington State does. The Cougars win 33-30 in overtime, and the Utes fall to 4-7.
The season finale is at home against Colorado. "I've got a lot more things to worry about other than a vandalized bike, of which I know nothing about," Whittingham says.
Denver Post headline: "Whittingham doesn't care about Embree's daughter's bike. Or her feelings!"
Colorado picks up its seventh win with a 30-21 victory. Buffaloes 6-foot-8 guard Ryan Miller walks out of Rice-Eccles Stadium among his celebrating teammates holding a gold and black bike above his head, one that appears to have been vandalized with cheap, red spray paint.
Hey, remember that Brock Berglund guy? No? Oh well, jump anyways for the Pac-12 Links

Masturbation Aids for Each Big 12 Fanbase - Cowboys Ride For Free - (It's Satire!) The pictures are SFW, but your laughter will not be.

Kansas Jayhawks QB Brock Berglund no longer practicing with team - ESPN

Highly touted freshman quarterback Brock Berglund will not practice with Kansas this season, even though coach Turner Gill says he remains a part of the program. "Due to legal issues, Brock will no longer be attending practices with the team this fall," Gill said. "He will remain enrolled as a KU student, and plans to resume all team activities in the spring semester."

Followup Thoughts on UCLA’s QB Competition … - Bruins Nation - Additional thoughts on UCLA's intense pre-season QB competition (a good thing) between Kevin Prince and Richard Brehaut.
The growth of Kyle Whittingham - Block U - Kyle Whittingham has grown a lot since becoming Utah's head coach in 2005. Now comes the biggest test of all: Taking Utah from the Mountain West to the Pac-12. Can he do it?
2011 Position Previews: New Wide Receivers step into the spotlight - Addicted To Quack - Addicted to Quack previews the Oregon receiving core.
Stoops filling out Arizona Wildcat depth charts, running backs optimistic - Arizona Desert Swarm - Arizona's depth chart is beginning to get clearer.
Pac-12 top 25 for 2011: No. 4 - Pac-12 Blog - ESPN -
4. Chris Polk, RB, Washington 2010 numbers: Polk ranked second in the Pac-10 with 1,415 yards rushing -- his 108.9 yards per game ranked 13th in the nation -- and he scored nine touchdowns. He also caught 22 passes for 180 yards. 2010 ranking: No. 7
colorado_logo.png
Talley's China Adventure "A Trip Of A Lifetime" - CUBuffs.com
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205247532&DB_OEM_ID=600Senior Emily Talley returned late Tuesday from China after competing for the United States in the XXVI Summer World University Games, held in Shenzhen the past two weeks. Talley was one of five players from the United States playing but was playing individually and not for the team, which won the bronze medal. Talley carded a 78-75-75-70—298, or 10-over par, and finished 16th in the field of 75. She was the third best player from the U.S. in the final rankings.
Sounds more to me like "Buffs blog, make friends, and kick ass in China!" Go Buffs!

Originally posted by Ralphie Report
Click here t

Back