What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Thursday/Friday Night Games

PAC MAN

Tekken Masher.
Club Member

I would't be surprised if any poster here was thinking ugh another Jalapeno rant about late kickoff start times but this post is going to be the opposite. CU has already played one Friday night game in Denver against CSU and will do that again at home against UCLA this Friday. The Buffs have another Friday night game later this season at Arizona on November 2nd. I'm going to try to put together the schedule of Friday Night Pac-12 games in this thread but after watching WSU at USC, I think this Friday PacAfterDark thing is growing on me.

August 30 (Thursday): Weber State at Utah
August 31: SDSU at Stanford, Colorado vs Colorado State
September 21: Washington State at USC
September 28: UCLA at Colorado
October 12: Arizona at Utah
October 18 (Thursday): Stanford at Arizona State
October 26: Utah at UCLA
November 2: Colorado at Arizona

What do you think?

The Pac has always struggled getting East Coast eyes to watch late night games. I would rather be on late than not at all. OTOH, 8:30 starts? I was up until 12:15 ish watching UW's game. I would venture virtually no one was watching east of the Mississippi....

I would't be surprised if any poster here was thinking ugh another Jalapeno rant about late kickoff start times but this post is going to be the opposite. CU has already played one Friday night game in Denver against CSU and will do that again at home against UCLA this Friday. The Buffs have another Friday night game later this season at Arizona on November 2nd. I'm going to try to put together the schedule of Friday Night Pac-12 games in this thread but after watching WSU at USC, I think this Friday PacAfterDark thing is growing on me.

August 30 (Thursday): Weber State at Utah
August 31: SDSU at Stanford, Colorado vs Colorado State
September 21: Washington State at USC
September 28: UCLA at Colorado
October 12: Arizona at Utah
October 18 (Thursday): Stanford at Arizona State
October 26: Utah at UCLA
November 2: Colorado at Arizona

What do you think?

Good for you. Larry Scott still needs to go.

Once or twice a season doesn't bother me being further East I can adjust. Scott is full of **** if he and the P12 believes the current format is going to do anything positive for the conference. ie this weekend I was shopping and was standing behind a person with a Stanford hat on waiting to check out (in Central Tx mind you).
Me: You a tree lover?
Him: Yep with a smile.
Me: I'm a lifer Buff
Him: Laughing...I hate night games stinks being stationed here (Killeen Tx. Ft Hood).
Me: I know right? Where you from?
Him: So Cal we got lucky yesterday.
Me: Nice win without Love.. Oregon is overrated.
Him: Posers shouldn't have happened the ducks suck.
Me: LMAO...are you guys going to win the North?
Him: We can we just have to show up at udub.
Me: They can be beat, I think WSU will give them a run.
Him: Best of luck to your Buffs, I really like that buffalo mascot it's the ****.
Me: Same to you hope you run the table.

Thursday night, hell yes. Love when VT or CU plays on Thursday and frees up more of my Saturday for other games or having fun in the Colorado outdoors.

Saturday night, hell yes. Keep my day free for hiking and still attend a game. Plus the drunken energy of a stadium full of people at night games is fun.

I don't like colleges, especially P5 conferences, playing on a night traditionally reserved for high school ball. If they must, I wish the major conferences would adopt a policy of "we will only schedule Friday night games if there are no high school games that night within 100 miles" (May not be the right number, I gave that little thought).

Last edited:
Thursday night, hell yes. Love when VT or CU plays on Thursday and frees up more of my Saturday for other games or having fun in the Colorado outdoors.

Saturday night, hell yes. Keep my day free for hiking and still attend a game. Plus the drunken energy of a stadium full of people at night games is fun.

I don't like colleges, especially P5 conferences, playing on a night traditionally reserved for high school ball. If they must, I qish the major conferences would adopt a policy of "we will only schedule Friday night games if there are no high school games that night within 100 miles" (May not be the right number, I gave that little thought).

VT should try Thursday nights, lord knows they can’t show up for Saturday’s ;)

I know that was sarcasm, but I wouldn't be surprised if we've played more Thursdays than any other P5 team.

Jim Weaver, our AD in the 80's, jumped on that when ESPN first started them regularly. At the time, VT was an unknown, couldn't get into a major conference, and the motto was "anything to get on TV" for the branding and recruiting exposure.

It's now part of the culture. Fans went ape shjt two years ago when there wasn't a Thursday game.

Last edited:
I can live with a 7:00 Friday kickoff. I don’t like Thursday games when I have to drag my carcass out of bed the next day to go to work, though. 8:00 or later is a bad start time on any day.

I know that was sarcasm, but I wouldn't be surprised if we've played more Thursdays than any other P5 team.

Jim Weaver, our AD in the 80's, jumped on that when ESPN first started them regularly. At the time, VT was an unknown, couldnt ger into a major conference, and the motto was "anything to get on TV" for the branding and recruiting exposure.

It's now part of the culture. Fans went ape shjt two years ago when there wasn't a Thursday game.

Yeah I remember a few games back in the Vick days.

Jim Weaver, our AD in the 80's, jumped on that when ESPN first started them regularly. At the time, VT was an unknown, couldnt ger into a major conference, and the motto was "anything to get on TV" for the branding and recruiting exposure.

There were a lot of people all over the country that would tune in and watch the Buffs & nu on black Friday. It was the game in CFB to watch while they laid on the couch< funny how that worked considering people from all time zones watched a game that they had no attachment to either program. They had no idea history, most had never seen a live Buff and even less knew what a corn husker was...year after year they would watch the game.

There were a lot of people all over the country that would tune in and watch the Buffs & nu on black Friday. It was the game in CFB to watch while they laid on the couch< funny how that worked considering people from all time zones watched a game that they had no attachment to either program. They had no idea history, most had never seen a live Buff and even less knew what a corn husker was...year after year they would watch the game.

Something that should have been done on the Friday after Thanksgiving this year. That is what Utah is doing with BYU.

chris-pratt-gif-1.gif

Something that should have been done on the Friday after Thanksgiving this year. That is what Utah is doing with BYU.
And who cares? There's no national history nothing like the B8/12 at the time. I've never spoken with anyone that brought up the UU vs BYU as a comparison.

College football should be played on Saturdays. I hate the night games.

PAC is very short sighted on this. PAC needs more national exposure.

Unlocking "significant value" is being short sighted?

CU was different from the Big 8/12 schools since they were more like a Pac-10 school at the time. Then now the Buffs are in the Pac-12 and in its 8th season as a Pac-12 member, I think it's pretty clear that the Pac-12 is not like the other P5 conferences and will have to be treated differently.

IMO if the P12 really wanted to create a national audience it would schedule a game that no matter the ranking or suckdom, schedule it for black Friday and stay to it. CU & nu didn't happen overnight it escalated over time and it had history to build on. Including a time frame where we'd beat Udub twice in the process, Ricky's faking a punt and pretty much owning oregon in two bowls. There's ample bad blood between CU & the two and why not use it?

Last edited:
@ 2:00 Pacific the day after T-giving who wouldn't watch SC & the Dome?
History between the two is storied created by national exposure. I'll be long gone when two conferences after realignment still in their youth (20 yrs or so) reach back to antiquity in effort to reconnect.
nu home and home is great, I never thought that I would miss seeing ksu, ou, mo and even isu at Folsom..
I do know I'm forced to view P12 members similarly, Isu = OSU I'd like to see how a game between CU and ISU would play out. One last time I'd like to see Snyder on the sideline at Folsom.

Unlocking "significant value" is being short sighted?

CU was different from the Big 8/12 schools since they were more like a Pac-10 school at the time. Then now the Buffs are in the Pac-12 and in its 8th season as a Pac-12 member, I think it's pretty clear that the Pac-12 is not like the other P5 conferences and will have to be treated differently.
Short term gain for long term harm, IMO. PAC needs more exposure, not less. Having games at times most of the country won't watch isn't going to grow viewership. A bit of a different (but related) point, but it's why I believe we need to add some central time zone teams in the next wave of expansion.

I'm also old and am not interested in attending or watching a night game. :)

Short term gain for long term harm, IMO. PAC needs more exposure, not less. Having games at times most of the country won't watch isn't going to grow viewership. A bit of a different (but related) point, but it's why I believe we need to add some central time zone teams in the next wave of expansion.

I'm also old and am not interested in attending or watching a night game. :)
But you're not suppose to have an opinion.

Friday night games - my daughter cheers for high school on the east coast - we don’t get home until 1000, so the game is 2 hours in. Then the last thing my family wants to do when we get home is sit and watch football when a) we have to get up at 7 for my son’s football and 2) the tv is going to be on for college football from noon until 2 am the next day.

Back